1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

Cartoon Did You Know

Discussion in 'Free-For-All' started by MrCleveland, Jan 28, 2017.

1. MrCleveland

MrCleveland Key Animator Forum Member New Member

There's some things in cartoons that have some trivia in it!

Here's a cartoon DYK...

Mel Blanc disliked carrots, so every time he had to eat a carrot for Bugs Bunny's lines, there would be a spit-bucket so he can spit-out the carrot.

That...Or Mel Blanc was allergic to carrots.
  2. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Speaking of Mel Blanc, after his near fatal car crash, he only responded when the doctors called him Bugs Bunny. And even though Daws Butler voiced Barney for a handful of episodes, eventually the cast of "The Flintstones" recorded their dialogue in his room.
  3. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

DYK? Bill Hanna started as a janitor in the studio of Hugh Harman and Rudolf Ising. Bill's interest in animation eventually led to his debut cartoon "To Spring." Ultimately, Bill would partner with Joe Barbera to found Hanna-Barbera Studios, to date the single most prolific animation studio, which still survives as Cartoon Network Studios.
  4. saltyboot

saltyboot A Moderating Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

DYK... Carl Stalling was an accompanist for silent films in Kansas City, where he met Walt Disney.
  5. emeraldisle

"The Amazing Chan And The Chan Clan" started out with real Asian actors voicing the characters. But, with the exception of Keye Luke, they were replaced by American actors, since the original voice actors had thick accents that were hard to understand.
  6. Glowworm

Glowworm Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Frank Tashlin once claimed in a 1971 interview with Michael Barrier that one of his favorite things to do when he briefly worked at Disney Studios was to throw Clarence Nash, the voice of Donald Duck out the window. :happy:

They didn’t know what to do with a fellow by the name of “Ducky” Nash—Clarence Nash, he was the voice of Donald Duck—because when they weren’t recording Donald Duck, what do you do with the fellow who’s the voice of Donald Duck? Ducky had an office in this building, a little tiny office where he would come over and go to sleep. These were hillside places, and the ground beneath his window was maybe twelve feet. Roy Williams, this big fellow, and I, when Ducky was asleep—and he slept just like a duck, he made funny sounds—in this big wicker chair, we would take this chair, with him in it, and we would hold it out the window, and drop him. This chair would hit, and because it was wicker, it sort of had a recoil, you know, the legs went out like this. He’d start quacking away down there, and he’d come up, dragging this chair with him. This happened many times, and it was a high point of humor—you know, you want to talk about low humor, that’s what we thought was funny.
  7. emeraldisle

When Jack Mercer was deployed for military service during World War II, Mae Questel voiced both Popeye and Olive Oyl! Talk about a busy woman.
  8. MrCleveland

DYK...Ben Hardaway created BOTH Bugs Bunny and Woody Woodpecker.

Also...The pre-1940's Bugs Bunny had the Woody Woodpecker signature laugh.
  9. emeraldisle

DYK..... The clip shown during the closing credits of "Jonny Quest" of two men fleeing from natives on a hovercraft was from a promotional film for an animated version of "Jack Armstrong."
  10. emeraldisle

Both Laurel and Hardy were already dead by the time their animated series from Hanna-Barbera premiered.
  11. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

DYK? The first Tom And Jerry cartoon, "Puss Gets The Boot" was almost a one-off. Producer Fred Quimby had rejected the idea of a cat-and-mouse cartoon, believing that this mechanism was overused and cliché. Joe Barbera and Bill Hanna had faith in their proposal, and animated the cartoon nonetheless. Quimby scolded them for subverting his wishes, but the feedback on this cartoon was too positive to warrant punishment. However, when MGM's largest distributor came by to collect the latest features, he asked of Quimby, "When y' gonna make another one?" Which compelled Quimby to demand, "Well, don't just stand there; make another one." One hundred fifteen "another one"s followed under the MGM logo; more would come as other studios acquired the rights to these characters.
  12. emeraldisle

The song "It's A Hap-Hap-Happy Day" from "Gulliver's Travels" was subsequently used in Paramount Famous Cartoons, particularly those starring Herman and Katnip.

Also, the movie's plot and characters were reused for the Casper short "Boo Moon."
  13. emeraldisle

For "Challenge Of The Superfriends," Catwoman and Joker were to have been part of The Legion Of Doom. They were scrapped due to their use on Filmation's "The New Adventures Of Batman."
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  14. emeraldisle

"The Dick Tracy Show" of 1961 had no characters from the comic strip other than Tracy and the villains. It wasn't until the strip became part of "Archie's TV Funnies" that Tess, Sam, Junior, Moon Maid, and others were included.
  15. MrCleveland

Another DYK...Lillian Randolph did the voice of the maid in the Tom and Jerry cartoons which was based upon Hattie McDaniel's character in Gone With the Wind.

She also was in the 1946 classic It's a Wonderful Life!...

[​IMG]
  16. emeraldisle

Sonny and Cher often showed animated music videos of classic '70's songs on their variety show. These included "Bad Bad Leroy Brown," "Big Yellow Taxi," "One Tin Soldier," and Cher's own solo hit, "Dark Lady."
  17. emeraldisle

Here's one for Black History Month: Of all the African American cartoon characters, the Harlem Globetrotters were animated the most often--six times! They had two animated series, three guest appearances on "The New Scooby-Doo Movies," and the TV special "The Harlem Globetrotters Meet Snow White."
  18. MrCleveland

Here's one...

DYK...The original Animaniacs were going to be duck brothers!

[​IMG]

I also heard that there was going to be four dog-like creatures...but got deducted to three.
  19. Glowworm

Glowworm Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Yep, there were originally four siblings--Yakky, Smakky, Wakky, and the proto-type for Dot.
    [​IMG]
  20. MrCleveland

DYK...

Arnold from Hey Arnold! fame started on Sesame Street!