1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

Unpopular Opinions of the Animation World

Discussion in 'Other / Multiple Studios' started by Macgomes, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Macgomes

Macgomes Intern Forum Member New Member

Hello everyone,,
    All of us have opinions, views and tastes which just aren't held by the public at large. But you need not be scared or ashamed to share them any longer. Here is the thread where you can share those less-than-popular opinions about animation and cartoons without fear of derision or persecution. Just state them here. And no flaming or arguing please; we're all entitled to our views, popular or not.

I'll start:

I find Peanuts to be highly overrated. The strips and specials have their amusing moments, but by and large I find it to be very dull, depressing and even a little mean-spirited now. Nonstop losing, unrequited love and failure gets seriously old after a while.

I like Marvel's Super Hero Squad Show. There, I said it. I don't care how goofy and silly it is, I don't care if hardcore comic book fans consider it to be a blight on Marvel's various franchises, I enjoy the series precisely because it's so goofy and silly. And I love the concept of all of Marvel's characters residing in in single city as a setting. Yes, it's just set up to sell toys, but I still love Superhero City. I love it.

I don't mind or even care that CGI has become the dominant animation style in animated features now. I'm sick of people bemoaning the fact that CGI exists and acting like computer animation is the first sign of Armageddon. I'm also sick of people bad-mouthing Flash animation. CG and Flash are just like everything else: there are good and bad examples of each. I wish folks would learn to judge cartoons by the quality of the art, writing and direction, not solely by how they're animated.

Johnny Test is not the abomination that most people make it out to be. Sure, the show's writing is kind of weak and the stories can get very repetitive at times, but it's an OK concept and some of the characters are at least interesting ideas. JT would actually be a pretty decent show, if they would just get rid of the title character, whom I find to be an annoying, generic twit.

I think I'm starting to seriously dislike 'adult' cartoons now. When did 'adult' come to mean as scatological, trippy, lewd, crude and unfunny as possible? I'm done with all of Seth MacFarlane's shows, and Adult Swim is really starting to rub me the wrong way. The only good shows on AS are the early Aqua Teens and Robot Chickens, and China, IL and Mary Shelley's Frankenhole have their moments. The less said about AS's live-action 'comedies', the better.

Avatar: the Last Airbender just bored me. I know a lot of people really loved this show, but I found it to be very dull and slow-moving. I liked the concept of the Benders and I liked Toph, but beyond that A:TLA just never clicked with me.

I've tried and tried, but I just can't get into Adventure Time, and I probably never will. People on Toon Zone especially never stop heaping praise on AT, saying how wonderfully quirky, compelling and deep it is, but at best I find myself scratching my head over it, at the worst it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I don't like how it's so often lacking in form and structure: it tries to be simultaneously a comedy, a stoner show, an action show and a drama, and doesn't succeed at any of them. I kind of like Jake, he has some good lines now and then, although his spotlight episodes tend to be kind of weak. Finn I just can't get into at all, though I've tried. I didn't really like the Fionna and Cake gender-swap episode (though the majority of TZ loved it), but I will say that I probably liked Finn's female counterpart Fionna more in her one appearance than I ever have or will like Finn himself.

Lupin the 3rd is flat-out one of the best anime ever made, and it's seriously deserving of more praise than it's ever received in the US.

Rocko's Modern Life is simply the single best thing Nickelodeon has ever put on the air. Ever. On a semi-related note, there have only been about 3 really good or above average Nicktoons: Rocko, Angry Beavers and KaBlam!, IMHO.

While I don't hate Hanna-Barbera, I've never felt like the works of that studio belong in the same category as the likes of Warner Bros and MGM, or even Jay Ward. It's not the limited animation, their shows, characters and humor have never really gelled with me for whatever reason. Even H-B's most major productions like The Flintstones, Yogi Bear and Huckleberry Hound were just 'meh' at best to me.

I find the unabashed love, praise and adulation for Cartoon Network's Toonami block to be annoying and a little shallow and sad. I enjoyed the block too back in the day when it was good, but the way some people hype this show to the sky and act like it was the single greatest achievement in human history is just ridiculous. As if these shows were somehow made 100 times better just because they were surrounded by bumpers of a robot talking with the voice of Steven Jay Blum. I honestly like the Miguzi bumpers more.
  2. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

And here we have the Great Sorting Algorithm of entertainment media: will it play in Peoria? You're right about Charles Schulz's Peanuts characters being stuck in stock personalities that rarely develop. However, the Peanuts franchise grew to being a staple of many American newspapers and even gets printed and translated into several other nations worldwide. So, flaws and all, Peanuts still plays in Peoria.

And you're likely right about Lupin III being an underrated gem, as opposed to Hanna-Barbera's Saturday morning fodder. The trick is, there wasn't any great groundswell for Lupin in the United States, whereas networks ABC, CBS and NBC were clamoring for more content from Hanna-Barbera Studios. In fact, one year saw ten animated HB series getting airplay. One might say that the networks were deciding these things; however, the networks also monitor their viewership closely, so it's in their best interest to give the viewers what they want. Thus, Scooby Doo still plays in Peoria, while Lupin ... not so much.

The marketplace is a fickle thing, perhaps moreso with entertainment media. Not all clowns are in front of the camera.
  3. Macgomes

Macgomes Intern Forum Member New Member

Thank you my issue has been solved,...
  4. barrysingh101

barrysingh101 Newbie New Member

Last year I would have disagreed but what they did to Broly and Gogeta has me siding with you.
    That and the fact that Toyotaro is going to take control of the franchise soon. Now this gives me chills.
  5. barrysingh101

barrysingh101 Newbie New Member

i hope my answer was helpful.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2019
  6. magnacart

magnacart Intern Forum Member New Member

The thing that irks me is how the "politically correct" in today's society are trying to suppress history by either altering classic cartoon shorts or just, simply, not ever allowing them to be aired or put on digital media collections. If nothing else, allow the original uncensored shorts to be preserved on digital media (DVD or Blu-Ray), and allow the consumer to make the choice. I, for one, want to see these shorts in their original, uncensored releases. This as a statement of what times were like, historically. To deny they exist by suppressing their release is to deny history. Unacceptable!
  7. Dizzies

Dizzies Newbie New Member

I agree with you. A lot of these cartoons can be used as teachable moments. People are racist and hateful. Why deny it?