1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

Favorite Christmas Time Animation

Discussion in 'Warner Bros.' started by sidestreetsam, Dec 20, 2013.

1. sidestreetsam

sidestreetsam Moderator Staff Member Forum Member New Member

~ Howdy, Folks!

Anybody out there have a favorite Christmas time animation from Warners Brothers? One of my favorites of course is "The Shanty Where Santy Claus Lives" a Christmas-themed Merrie Melodies cartoon short, originally released in 1933. It makes use of a Great Depression setting of Christmas where Santa Claus is seeking a good little boy. The short takes place in a shantytown, a slum settlement whose homesites are made of plywood, corrugated metal, and cardboard boxes. They are usually found on the periphery of cities, public parks, or near railroad tracks, rivers, lagoons or city trash dump sites.

This short is so much fun to watch and the music is quite infectious. But it's rare in that it also contains real pathos that pulls at your heartstrings.

Here is the YouTube link;

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  2. saltyboot

saltyboot A Moderating Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

3. Glowworm

Glowworm Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

I love "Gift Wrapped." That ending with the Christmas stamps over Sylvester and the unnamed bulldog that I call "Spike" is a stroke of genius. However, I am glad that it's uncut on DVD because it used to get chopped to bits when I used to watch it on tv. At first only the bit where Sylvester dressed up as an Indian popping out cowboy Tweety's cork in the Christmas tree was taken out--which I had never seen on tv, yet somehow knew it existed. Then one day to my dismay, Cartoon Network got rid of the other bit where Sylvester is dressed like an Indian and attempting to capture Tweety with a suction cup arrow only to get hit with one from Indian Granny.

Yet, the cartoon is a great short, which I enjoy watching not just during the holidays, but all year round.

I also admit having a bit of love for "Bugs Bunny's Looney Christmas Tales" which is the special that includes the three holiday themed shorts "Bugs Bunny's Christmas Carol" "Freeze Frame" and "The Fright Before Christmas." While the bridging sections that attempt to tie the three shorts together aren't very strong, the shorts themselves are quite good. In fact I used to think these shorts were a lot older than they actually were because the Bugs Bunny and Tweety Show used to air them as separate shorts during the holidays along with the other cartoons.

In particular, I always liked "Bugs Bunny's Christmas Carol" best, which loosely adapts the well known story with an appropriate Scrooge, Yosemite Sam himself. I always got a kick out of Bugs playing ghost and scaring the crap out of Sam to reform--especially the bit where he wanders through the halls banging a drum.
  4. mreiof

mreiof Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB! Forum Member

I have a soft-spot for Bedtime For Sniffles. I know it's a toon from Chuck Jones' "Disney" period (i.e., adorable) but I really enjoy the wordplay that smartens the narrative and the sweet disappointment of Sniffles drifting off to sleep just as Santa's sleigh arrives, despite his every effort to remain awake for the big man.
  5. sidestreetsam

~ hey, mreiof!

I love "Bedtime for Sniffles". The little details are everything... all the strategies that Sniffles tries to keep awake! Playing the radio loud, making a pot of coffee, startled awake to find his face covered with snow. And of course after all that just missing Santa!

I also love "Tom Turk and Daffy". I know it's not really a Christmas cartoon but it's sure feels like one!

6. mreiof

mreiof Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB! Forum Member

Yes! "Haxwell Mouse" coffee! :) And Tom Turk And Daffy definitely qualifies as a toon for the holidays! "Over here! No, over here. No, over here!…"
    • Like Like x 1
  7. saltyboot

Yeah, Tom Turk And Daffy is a good one for both Thanksgiving and Christmas (even though Thanksgiving usually isn't associated with snow).
    • Like Like x 1
  8. sidestreetsam

~ Hey, saltyboot!

Here in San Diego it's always sunny and warm around Thanksgiving. But it's usually cold and snowy in the rockies, the great plains and portions of the east coast. Brrrr!!!! They can have it!

There is an interesting historical note in "Tom Turk and Daffy"(1944). When Daffy does his "stool pigeon" bit and Tom is hiding in the snowman, he says, "Quisling!" This is in reference to the Norwegian politician Vidkun Quisling who collaborated with the Nazi party during World War II. It didn't take long for "quisling" to equate to "traitor" in the public mind as he wasn't executed until October 1945.
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  9. saltyboot

So that's what Tom says. I thought he was saying "what did he say?" but I wasn't sure. lol.
  10. Zavkram

Zavkram Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB! Forum Member New Member

I notice that in this short Harman-Ising are already attempting to improve the overall production values of their cartoons; such as in the establishing shot of the orphan as he approaches the house in the snow

• Like Like x 1