1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

A New Threefer.

Discussion in 'Hanna-Barbera' started by emeraldisle, Feb 16, 2014.

1. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

As of today, I'll be posting thoughts about HB characters on both Saturdays and Sundays. And since tomorrow's a holiday, there'll be a bonus.

So now, my thoughts on the three components of "The New Hanna-Barbera Cartoon Show."

Wally Gator. Since he was taken from his home in the Everglades, and placed in a big city zoo, I understand his need to get out more. Mr. Twiddles should have been a bit more understanding, and more willing to bend the rules, or just let him go. Also, since the theme song calls him a "swinging alligator in the swamp," I believe the shorts should have taken place there instead of a zoo. Twiddles could have easily been an airboat captain instead of a zookeeper, taking passengers to see a gator in his own envrionment.

"Lippy And Hardy." Although I was able to see that Hardy Har Har was the eternal pessimisst, I none the less saw the humor in hurting his jaws each time he tried to laugh. And I also noticed that Lippy's prime scheme was to intentionally get himself and Hardy arrested and jailed just to get free meals and other "luxuries" that jail offered.

But my favorite episode about this pair was one in which a witch tried to turn humans into hyenas. At the end, she, Lippy, a king, and a prince fell into the cauldron, and turned into hyenas. Hardy then admitted he liked being a homely hyena, and said, "Welcome aboard, fellas!" I was rolling on the floor laughing by then.

Touche Turtle And Dum Dum. Here we had a hero in a half shell long before you know who. Of the three opening sequences of the cartoons on this show, this one was the most awesome. Touche puts out a dragon's fire with a hose, ties an octopus in knots, and also takes out a thunderstorm. "Touche Away!" That's what I say! And all the episodes had undeniably perfect humor, like Touche taking credit cards for his heroism.

I also saw that he and Dum Dum followed a rule H-B apparently had about swordsmanship. They could use their swords for fencing, but never, ever to stab or impale an opponent. Even cartoons had to draw the line somewhere, and I like that.

So again, I give these funny animals a high ratng. Way to go, H-B!
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. artytoons

artytoons Administrator I SUPPORT BCDB! Forum Member New Member

Daws Butler's impressions of Ed Wynn for Wally Gator's voice and Joe E. Brown for Lippy Lion's voice were put to good use.

Mel Blanc used his voice as "The Happy Postman" in the "George Burns and Gracie Allen" radio program ("Remember, Mrs. Burns...Keep smiling!" as the Happy Postman exits the scene and was on the verge of tears) for Hardy Har Har 's voice.
  3. Glowworm

Glowworm Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Cartoon Network used to show these shorts in between shows when there was time left over. Touche Turtle was fun because despite the little guy failing time and time again at first--he would eventually find a way to thwart the baddie he was hired to get rid of. I also liked how he always kept a phone inside his shell-- and his shell would ring before he answered it.
  4. Pokey J.Anti-Blockhead

Pokey J.Anti-Blockhead Intern Forum Member New Member

And the Joe E.Brown/Lippy the Lion voice would resurface two years later in 1964 for "Peter Potamus", as everyone knows..
  5. Glowworm

Glowworm Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

I used to think Lippy's name was Limpy. Someone had to correct me on a forum I used to go to.
  6. Pokey J.Anti-Blockhead

Pokey J.Anti-Blockhead Intern Forum Member New Member

You didn't mention Bill Thompson reuising Wallace Wimple (from F.McGee and Molly) as Touche, same one as Droopy..
  7. emeraldisle

Trivia Question 88: True Or False: Lippy's schemes to to intentionally get himself and Hardy thrown in jail are similar to an O., Henry story.
  8. emeraldisle

Trivia Answer: Yes. It was very much like "The Cop And The Anthem," in which Soapy knowingly commits crimes just to get free food in jail.