1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

Caped Crusader Of The Final Frontier.

Discussion in 'Hanna-Barbera' started by emeraldisle, Mar 22, 2014.

1. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

And now, my fellow Hanna-Barbera fans, without further ado, I present my thoughts about...drum roll, please! Space Ghost!

Why did I pick the thread title that I did? Well, I took one look at Space Ghost and Jayce, and thought, "Wow! They're just like Batman and Robin!"

Well, not exactly. For unlike the Dark Knight, Space Ghost was never seen out of costume, even when he became a talk show host. But enough about that. Now about the show:

There Space Ghost would be, leaving Ghost Planet in the Phantom Cruiser to deal with some alien villain. Sometimes, he'd rescue Jan, Jayce, and Blip, or they'd rescue him. There were even a couple of episodes with no aliens at all. These were "The Time Machine," in which the adventure was brought about by carelessness on Jayce's part, and "The Sandman," which took place in a desert country somewhere in the Middle East, judging from what I saw, and what the Colonel of the Foreign Legion said.

But mostly the villains were of extraterrestrial origin. These included Zorak the praying mantis, who was actually a preying mantis. And then, the Black Widow, whose name, for reasons unknown, was changed to Spider Woman. I've concluded that the reason for the change was that at the time, there were two other villainesses called Black Widow: One from the animated "Lone Ranger" series, which also aired on CBS, and one from the live action "Batman" series. Space Ghost defeated all these villains with Inviso Power, and his power bands, which were occasionally stolen by the bad guys.

I guess I liked all the episodes, but I consider those with recurring villains like Creature King and Metallus the best of the batch. Which brings us to the most amazing part of the show, the Council Of Doom miniseries, the show's tour de force.

In this astounding story arc, six supervillains joined forces to destroy Space Ghost once and for all. These were Zorak, Metallus, Brak, Creature King, Black Widow/Spider Woman, and Moltar. Of this sextet, Moltar was the only one who appeared in one episode. All the others were recurring. I've concluded that of all the one-shot villains, Moltar was the only one evil enough to join the group. Maybe he's the one who created the Heat Thing, though I have no way to prove it.

At any rate, I was impressed by the way these six episodes played out. I admit I was confused when I saw the cameos by Mightor and Tog, Moby Dick, the Herculoids, and Shazzan, but eventually realized the miniseries was also a launching pad for their own shows.

I'm glad I got to see the show again when it returned in the late '70's, first on the "Space Ghost/Frankenstein Jr. Show," and then on "Hanna-Barbera's World Of Super Adventure."

When new episodes were produced for "Space Stars" in 1981, there was much interaction between Space Ghost and the show's other characters. Jan was now Kid Comet's girlfriend, and the stories, including "Space Spectre," were outstanding.

As for "Space Ghost: Coast To Coast," "Cartoon Planet," and "The Brak Show," I won't go there, except that it was cool to see that Zorak, Brak, and Moltar were now on Space Ghost's talk show, offering little more than onstage banter.

And I'll never forget when Space Ghost, Jan, Jayce, and Blip appeared briefly on "Batman: The Brave And The Bold," a couple of years ago.

BTW, there's a graphic novel devoted to Space Ghost's origin. But beware. It's not for the squeamish, according to what I read about it.

Now for the other half of the show:

Dino Boy In The Lost Valley. This show about a boy stranded in a prehistoric valley had all the action and adventure I could ever want. Tod, AKA Dino Boy met and befriended Ugh, a caveman who clearly had more in common with Alley Oop than Fred Flintstone. He and Tod came to each other's rescue, and there was also Bronty, who had a saddle on his back. Sometimes, Ugh would call on Tusko, a large mammoth bull, who was trained to take out bad guys, but not by piercing them with his tusks.

There were prehistoric beasts and enemy tribes galore here. Some were even advanced enough to build walled cities. I did like most of these episodes. But I noticed Tod's mistake in the episode "Marooned." He rescued a Moss man who was left there to die by his own tribesmen. Dino Boy disguised himself as a monster to scare the other Moss men away. But when he freed the victim, he forgot to remove his mask, so the unfortunate beat him up, not understanding his intentions. Um, Tod, you should have unmasked yourself first.

And I even liked the show's bumpers, especially the one that had Space Ghost zapping vultures that were attacking Dino Boy, Ugh, and Bronty. The humans merely waved good-bye to the heroes, but there was no reason Space Ghost couldn't have taken Dino Boy aboard and returned him to civilization. Then again, there'd have been no thrills and chills.

So Space Ghost is definitely an iconic superhero. Three cheers! :)

Trivia Question 53: Jace defeated the Sorceror single-handedly after the villain turned him and Jan into: A. Monkeys. B. Owls. C. Bats. D. Black cats.

Answer: A.
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  2. artytoons

artytoons Administrator I SUPPORT BCDB! Forum Member New Member

Gary Owens' excellent deep voice was perfect as Space Ghost. Tim Matthieson had previously played Jonny Quest's voice and matured enough for his voice to deepen to play teenaged Jace (and later "Young Samson"). Matthieson later changed his last name to "Matheson" and played one of the 18 children of Henry Fonda and Lucille Ball in "Yours Mines and Ours" and Otter in "Animal House" and Roy the con man in "A Very Brady Sequel", and in other movie and tv roles.

Alex Toth provided the great character designs for "Space Ghost" and "Dino Boy"...the white uniform, black cape, and black hood were created at the very first design without any revisions.

Dino Boy was voiced by Johnny Carson...but he was not the famous "Tonight Show" host...this Johnny Carson later acted as an adult billed as John David Carson.
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Actually, Space Ghost had a yellow cape.
  4. Bill Lewis

Bill Lewis Animator Forum Member New Member

Regarding the Space Ghost/Dino Boy ''team-up'' scene,I know comic book stories are not necessarily considered part of the cartoon's continuity,but I do remember reading a comic where the two characters met.After the adventure was over,Space Ghost offered to fly Dino Boy home,to which Dino Boy replied,''I AM home''.Perhaps this was the writer's attempt to explain the earlier sequence,even though it may not be ''official''.
  5. artytoons

artytoons Administrator I SUPPORT BCDB! Forum Member New Member

Such the fate for growing up watching cartoons on a black and white tv...
  6. MattPriceTime

MattPriceTime Intern Forum Member New Member

Spaaaaaaaaaaaaaace Ghoooooooooooost! Space Ghost was the man. Flying in space and zapping the bad guys. Space Ghost original cartoons used to have fair reruns on CN. Usually in between shows and sometimes in blocks. But i always remember them being sans Dino Boy. Ugh's commercial was my first exposure to him (and i thought maybe he was the caveman from Scooby Doo at first) As CN continued to milk it's farce reboot more there was less classic Space Ghost to show up over the years.

Space Ghost's adventures were pretty simple but fun. He did seem to need to be rescued or perform a rescue a lot. He also had a lot of cool looking bad guys to deal with out in space. And Gary Owens voice was awesome as always is. I did enjoy my time watching the Ghost Planet. The Council of Doom part is also an amazing bit of crossover episodes. Even if brief they were amazing to see.

Dino Boy is a weaker show but still a good one. The premise sets you up to think more like the later Valley of the Dinosaurs show but in truth this lost valley seems to have more Toth-ian monsters than actual prehistoric creatures. But they make more fun for Ugh to help take care of. The comic mention earlier seems interesting that Dino Boy found a home in that lost valley.

All in all another good addition to the HB library. And even though the Dino Boy parts were blind bought, i don't feel disappointed.
    • Agree Agree x 1