1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

Books Galore, And A Whole Lot More.

Discussion in 'Hanna-Barbera' started by emeraldisle, May 11, 2014.

1. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

"The ABC Saturday Superstar Movie," "Famous Classic Tales." "The ABC Afterschool Specials." And "The ABC Weekend Special." These were all anthology series for which Hanna-Barbera produced cartoons(each one also featured films either animated or live-action films from other studios as well). Here are my thoughts on H-B's contributions to these shows:

"The ABC Saturday Superstar Movie." I already mentioned "Yogi's Ark Lark" and "The Banana Splits In Hocus Pocus Park" in previous threads. Now about the others:

"Oliver And The Artful Dodger." Whenever a Dickens story is animated, the studio gets the look and feel of 19th century England just right. And this two-part sequel to the classic is no exception. There were no anachronisms to be found, and the newly-created characters were ones that Dickens himself should have created. I loved the songs, and the overall storyline, as the title characters, along with four other orphans and the Dodger's dog Hero set out to find Mr. Brownlow's will, while having to deal with both Mr. Bumble and Sniperly. However, the one character they could have done without is Miss Louisa. She was presented as one of Oliver's friends , but I saw her as a snooty type who merely skipped rope and recited rhymes about Oliver, even after finding out Mr. Brownlow was dead. But this one was truly outstanding all the same.

"Adventures Of Robin Hoodnik." This take on the Robin Hood legend was very much like the animated Disney version in that Robin and the Merry Men were animals. Robin, Maid Marian, and Allan-A-Dale, renamed Allan Airedale, were dogs, Friar Tuck was a pig, now called Friar Pork, and Little John was a gorilla. Unlike Disney, this film did have human characters. But the idea of Maid Marian drinking a love potion, and falling for the human Sheriff Of Nottingham was absurd. So was the opening, in which she mentioned Cincinnatti and Pittsburgh--cities that did not exist in their time. So while it was somewhat good, I don't rate it as highly I do other H-B cartoons. In fact, I prefer the animated Disney version and the later H-B animated series "Young Robin Hood" for being more faithful, and "Robin Hood: Men In Tights" for having better humor.

"Gidget Makes The Wrong Connection." All I really saw of this episode was a TV ad that showed Gidget fending off a muscular beach bully type guy underwater, then resurfacing, and shouting, "Rink! Jud! A monster!" Oh, come on, Gidget, Muscleman was one of the bad guys, but he was no monster. Still, I feel I should have seen this all the way through. Oh, well. Maybe someone will find it, and upload it on YouTube.

"Tabitha And Adam And The Clown Family." Since Hanna-Barbera animated the opening credits of "Bewitched," and there was an episode of "The Flintstones," "Samantha," in which Sam and Darrin guested as themselves, with Ms. Montgomery and Mr.York providing the voices, it was only right that H-B should produce an animated film about their magical offspring. Here, they visited their relatives, the Clown Family, a rock group who performed in a circus. With clown makeup, needless to say. They contended with Count Crumley and his not too bright henchman Ronk. This was a great story, and the songs were good, too.

"Lost In Space." Since I was, and still am, already a big fan of the live action series, I decided to check this one out. I was at first disappointed that Dr. Smith and the Robot were the only ones from the original show, but gradually, I came to like the story. When I found out it was a pilot film for an animated spinoff, I was disappointed again. This time, that it didn't become a regular series. But then again, Mr. Harris was, at the time, voicing the animated Uncle Martin in "My Favorite Martians," which was produced by rival studio Filmation. So he obviously was unable to fully commit himself to the project. Low ratings may have
    been another factor.

"Famous Classic Tales." H-B did its best to animate some of the great novels. But how did I rate them? Let's find out.

"Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea," and "The Count Of Monte Cristo." I saw both of these on Nickelodeon's "Special Delivery" in the mid-80's, and I was very impressed with the way H-B adhered to the plots. Of course, for the former, they omitted Conseil, and changed the way Arronax and Land were captured, but that was H-B's style. And the use of their traditional sound effects made it more sci-fi than it already was. As for the latter, it was very good.

"Last Of The Mohicans." I saw this one on HBO, and noticed that it was produced by Hanna-Barbera Pty, the studio's Australian subsidiary, which produced many H-B cartoons of the '70's and '80's, and eventually became Southern Star. The adaptation was toned down to be kid friendly, and even included a pet dog who was captured along with the Munroe sisters. I especially liked the fact that the main characters were voiced by H-B veterans, most notably Casey Kasem as the voice of Uncas.

"Davey Crockett On The Mississippi." This was rather cool. Crockett was there with Mike Fink, Matt Henry, and the bear Honeysuckle, coonskin cap and all. But there were no songs about his being "King Of The Wild Frontier."

"Five Weeks In A Balloon." Never saw it, so there's nothing to say until I do. Same with "Daniel Boone."

"Black Beauty." I decided to watch this one on YouTube earlier this year, since this is the year of the horse. It was simply beautiful, and Anna Sewell herself would have been pleased.

"The ABC Afterschool Specials." H-B produced the live action films "The Runaways" and "The Gymnast" for this series. Both of them were unforgettable, but I'd really rather focus on the cartoons.

"Last Of The Curlews." This was nicely done, and was both pleasing to the eye, and heartbreaking. I felt bad for the poor curlew when his mate was killed by humans. But overall, it was one of H-B's better efforts.

"The Crazy Comedy Concert." Another one I missed out on, sorry to say.

"Cyrano." Ten years after Mr. Magoo's version, and thirteen years before Steve Martin's brilliantly comical upgrade of the story, H-B presented this animated adaptation of Rostand's play. I didn't see much of it, but I guess I'd have liked it, since I watched long enough to see how perfectly animated the main characters were. Perhaps I'll catch it again sometime.

"The ABC Weekend Special." Can't say anything about "The Amazing Bunjee Venture," "Return Of The Bunjee," or "The Velveteen Rabbit," though I should have seen the last one, having read the book when I was little.

"The Secret World Of Og." Now this three-parter I saw. By the time it aired, I was in my early 20's, but that didn't discourage me one bit. I liked it so much, but not so much that I decided to look for a subterranean world in my own back yard. But that would have been fun to imagine when I was a schoolgirl.

As for the standalone adaptations like "Jack And The Beanstalk," "Alice In Wonderland," and the theatrical adaptations of "Charlotte's Web," and "Heidi's Song," let's just say I enjoyed two out of four. Maybe I'll order the "Heidi's Song" DVD, and see "Jack" online. As for all other animated specials and movies, again, I only liked the ones I actually saw. That includes "The Halloween Tree," which I read in high school long before seeing the animated version.

I also missed out on H-B's "Timeless Tales By Hallmark." Maybe I should eventually see those animated fairy tales, too.
    Last edited: May 14, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Pokey J.Anti-Blockhead

Pokey J.Anti-Blockhead Intern Forum Member New Member

"Robin Hoodnik" was a kind of spinoff of "Help It's the Hair Bear Bunch" [previous season] with Mr.Peevely-oops, I mean, John Stepehnson ala Joe Flynn, and Botch-oops, as Britney Spears says, I did it again, Joe E.Ross as, well, Ooh! OOH! Joe E.Ross, and Len Weinrib, all playing the villians. An actress named Cynthia Adler played Marian, btw.
  3. emeraldisle

Yes, I know. I know the voice casts of nearly every H-B production.
  4. artytoons

artytoons Administrator I SUPPORT BCDB! Forum Member New Member

Hanna-Barbera's Australian Studio animated some of the Famous Classic Tales with the familiar US voice actor casts...a British studio not affiliated with Hanna-Barbera also animated some episodes. Co-sponsored by Kenner.

Ruby-Spears animated a good number of the ABC Weekend Specials with its Hanna-Barbera-like sound effects and animation style.

"Last of the Curlews" won an Emmy Award.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. emeraldisle

Almost forgot the cartoons H-B produced for "CBS Storybreak," as well as "The Berenstein Bears." The only one from "CBS Storybreak" I saw and liked was "Chocolate Fever." And the bears were nicely animated. All these were produced by the Australian Studio under the Southern Star banner. And I never saw "Daniel Boone," so I can't say anything about it until I do.
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  6. emeraldisle

Trivia Question 82: Name the squirrel who had to rescue Johnny Cook and Little Bear twice in "The Thanksgiving That Almost Wasn't."
  7. Bobby Bickert

Bobby Bickert Inbetweener Forum Member New Member

I've only seen clips of this, but I know that Don Messick voiced the Robot instead of Dick Tufeld. I wonder why? It seems like Dick Tufeld voiced him just about any other time the Robot was on TV, whether appearing on Good Morning America, or in more than one Simpsons episode. (I don't think Hanna-Barbera's "Mystery Island" counts, since that was supposed to be a different robot.)
  8. artytoons

artytoons Administrator I SUPPORT BCDB! Forum Member New Member

Don Messick was a Hanna-Barbera regular and probably was available at a salary less than what Mr. Tufeld may have commanded. Hanna-Barbera usually went with voice actors familiar with the voice recording directors, was versatile enough to play several roles in the same cartoon story, and knew studio protocol instead of hiring the original "name" actors with a distinctive voice for only one role for the most part until the glut of late 1970s-1980s prime-time cartoon adapations.

I've seen the "Lost In Space" pilot...the music was previously used for the "Super Friends" series.
    Animated in Hanna-Barbera's Eric Porter Studios in Australia.
    Michael Bell played the voice of Craig Robinson the pilot and leader of the Jupiter II party and Sherri Alberoni played Deana Carmichael, the token female crew member. Ralph James, who would later play the voice of alien leader Orson in the live action version and Ruby-Spears/Hanna-Barbera cartoon version of "Mork and Mindy", played the alien leader voice.

Interesting pilot...too bad H-B didn't animate the other 60s Irwin Allen sci-fi shows in cartoon form ("Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" (although "Sealab 2020" came close to the concept), "The Time Tunnel", and "Land of the Giants." ("Gulliver" was close).)
    • Like Like x 1
  9. emeraldisle

Trivia Answer: Jeremy Squirrel, whose story was narrated by his descendant.