1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

Wonder Wheels

Discussion in 'Hanna-Barbera' started by Minotaur714, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Minotaur714

Minotaur714 Intern Forum Member New Member

I think this was a segment of the Captain Caveman show, but correct me if I'm wrong. It was about a guy with a broken down motorcycle who could transform into a superhero, along with his bike. At the end of the story, Wonder Wheels would go roaring off, and his alter ego would appear again almost immediately. I was a big fan of it.
  2. Bill Lewis

Bill Lewis Animator Forum Member New Member

I'm pretty sure this was a segment from the ''Skatebirds'' series. Can anyone out there confirm this?
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Indeed it was featured on "Skatebirds."
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Minotaur714

Ah, okay. I definitely remember Skatebirds. Thanks for the info. :)
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. artytoons

artytoons Administrator I SUPPORT BCDB! Forum Member New Member

The premise had a teenaged motorcycle rider named Willie Sheeler and his girlfriend, Dooley, traveling from place to place and encountering trouble.

Willie and his motorcycle can turn into a mysterious hero with a high powered motorcycle to battle bad guys...Dooley never figured out the hero is her square boyfriend.

Micky Dolenz (The Monkees) played Willie's voice. Susan Davis played Dooley.
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
    • Informative Informative x 2
  6. artytoons

The original "Skatebirds" hour show ran on CBS from Fall 1978 to early 1979...each hour contained short live-action "Skatebirds" segments, the live-action "Mystery Island" segment, one "Wonderwheels" cartoon segment, two "Three Robonic Stooges" cartoon segments, and an edited-down version of "Clue Club" repeats (from half hour to 10 minutes) retitled "Woofer and Whimper: Dog Detectives".

The ratings were not good and "The Skatebirds" hour show was split into two separate half hour shows:
    "The Three Robonic Stooges" with 2 "Stooges" segments and 1 "Woofer and Whimper" segment shown on Saturday Mornings for the remainder of the 1979 season on Saturdays and repeated on Sunday mornings from Fall 1979 to Summer 1980 on CBS.

and "The Skatebirds" half hour show with the Skatebirds segments, "Mystery Island", and "Wonderwheels" on CBS Sunday morning for the rest of their 1979 season run before it was cancelled.
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  7. Minotaur714

Yes, it never occurred to Dooley how WW could roar away and then Willie always appeared out of nowhere a second later. :D
  8. artytoons

Lois Lane was smart and tough...but she didn't exactly find out that Clark Kent was Superman on her own, either. Same analogy. :)
  9. FluidGirl

FluidGirl Moderator Staff Member Forum Member New Member

Before I throw in my two cents on this cartoon, I would appreciate it if you guys didn't throw in every resource under the sun about what I am about to say. And please keep this in mind: even the most reliable of resources can be wrong.

I always thought the character was voiced by Ronnie Schell. He's got a very distinctive voice. I saw the cartoon on YouTube awhile ago, and it sounded nothing like Micky Dolenz to me, and I should know Micky Dolenz's voice by now. He's mein sister's favorite Monkee, and she's been watching reruns of "Devlin" and some other stuff he's been in as of late. All I ask is this. Please don't answer this with "no, it is Micky Dolenz, such and such source says so." Thank you.
  10. artytoons

In the 1970s, there were some Hanna-Barbera series in which the voice actor was changed in mid-series...such as Susan Dey and Dave Madden participating in the animated "Partridge Family In Outer Space" series for one or two episodes and then were replaced by Sherri Alberoni and John Stephenson as Laurie and Reuben Kincaid respectively for the rest of the series run or Vic Perrin as the voice of Sinestro in "Challenge of the Superfriends" for the first couple of episodes and then was replaced by Don Messick for the remainder of the series run. In "Wait Till Your Father Gets Home", David Hayward and Willie Aames played Chet and Jamie Boyle in season one and then Lennie Weinrib and Jackie Earle Haley played Chet and Jamie in season two.

Online or printed reference materials still listed Dey, Madden, Perrin, Hayward, and Aames as participating in the entire run of their shows...based on the author either viewing the episodes at the beginning of the run when aired or from referencing actor voice casting documents from the studios but not from watching the entire run of the series.

I do recall Micky Dolenz playing Willie in the few episodes I saw close to 25 years ago. It may be possible that he was replaced in mid-run by another actor (Joe Baker?)...but I am not sure since "The Skatebirds" Sunday morning half hour version never aired in my city.
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
    • Useful Useful x 1