1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

The Great American Cat And Mouse.

Discussion in 'Hanna-Barbera' started by emeraldisle, Jul 4, 2014.

1. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

I know. I know. I should have started my threads with Tom and Jerry, since Hanna and Barbera created them long before the TV cartoons. But, due to their enduring legacy, and the fact that there were no made for TV cartoons about them until 1975, I saved them up for this holiday.

It's only fair to begin at the beginning, when Hanna and Barbera produced the early theatrical shorts for MGM. Of all these, I have my own personal top three:

In third place is "The Bodyguard." Spike becomes Jerry's ally, and advises him to whistle whenever he's in trouble. Jerry does so, until Spike's picked up by the dogcatcher. Oh boy.

But what I really remember about this one is that it's one of the very few in which Tom spoke. His sinister laugh, followed by, "In me power!" sent shivers down my spine back then--and it still does today!

In the runner-up spot is "Heavenly Puss." Tom has a nightmare about going to the other place, where Spike's a devil dog, so to speak. Tom's efforts to redeem himself fail, but, thankfully, he wakes up, and decides to be nice to Jerry.

And the short I voted number one is one I'm sure everyone here will agree with: "The Cat Concerto."

Tom tries to play Lizst's "Hungarian Rhapsody 2," but Jerry simply won't have it. Hilarity ensues from beginning to end. The plot of a mouse ruining what starts out as a perfect concert hall performance was used in cartoons from other studios, like "Rhapsody Rabbit," "Philharmaniacs," and "Animal Faire."

T & J's influence rubbed off on the public in other ways, too. They swam with Esther Williams in "Dangerous When Wet." And Jerry's song and dance sequence in "Anchors Aweigh," inspired the video for Paula Abdul's "Opposites Attract," in which she sings and dances with the animated MC Skat Kat, instead of a human boyfriend. And the adversarial relationship between cat and mouse was widely imitated, even by H-B themselves!

The duo even had a Fourth Of July-themed short, "Yankee Doodle Mouse," complete with fireworks.

The shorts were repackaged for "The Tom And Jerry Show," which aired on Saturday and Sunday mornings from 1965-72. I liked seeing these in their Sunday slot. The show also featured Droopy, Spike and Tyke, and Barney Bear. Which reminds me of something odd I noticed. "The Bee-Deviled Bruin" was included in the mix, even though it wasn't produced by MGM, let alone H-B. Maybe the network mistook it for a Barney Bear short. Who knows?

But H-B had no intention of retiring these characters. In 1975, they brought them back in a new series of made for TV cartoons under the title "The Tom And Jerry/Grape Ape Show."

For the new T & J shorts, the rivalry was forgotten, and I actually liked that. My faves from this iteration were "Planet Of The Dogs," in which they landed on Planet Dogstar, where cats and mice were enemies of the canine populace. There was also a very funny one, in which they were forest rangers contending with a bear. The running gag here was that a couple was there on a camping trip. Each time the wife told her slacker of a husband all that was going on, he just repeatedly said, "Yes, dear."

The Great Grape Ape. I did see him and Beegle Beagle, but not until the cartoons resurfaced on USA Cartoon Express. They were certainly funny for their time. I especially liked the two-parter, "SPLAT's Back," in which they went after the Chicken, who trained birds to steal. Sorry, but I never saw the original "SPLAT-" an acronym for Special Police League Of Animal Trainees, in case you were wondering.

Two years later, Grape Ape joined the cast of "Scooby's All Star Laff-A-Lympics." Here, he was the only newbie on The Yogi Yahooeys. And yes, he still said nothing more than "Grape Ape. Grape Ape."

Then, in 1976, Mumbly joined the lineup. When I saw him, I, like so many others, said, "That's just Muttley in a trench coat." I only saw one episode of this, a spoof of "Dr. Jekyll And Mr Hyde," in which the good doctor was merely trying to develop a new soft drink, but forgot the fizzle. A year later, he, too, joined the cast of "Laff-A-Lympics" as the captain of The Really Rottens. Why the change from good guy to bad guy? Some people say he and Dread Baron were meant to be the new Dastardly and Muttley. Notice the resemblance?

Afterwards, there were many other T & J animated series and movies. But none of these were produced by H-B, except for....

"Tom And Jerry Kids." Like others before it, this series showed T & J in their younger days. Tom was a kitten, and Jerry, well, a baby mouse like Tuffy/Nibbles. This also had new shorts about Spike and Tyke, as well "Droopy And Dripple," the latter being Droopy's son. This father and son team eventually got their own series a few years later, "Droopy: Master Detective." I saw none of these including new "Screwball Squirrel" cartoons, probably because I'd had my fill of seeing classic cartoon characters as little kids.

Currently, there's a new T & J show on Cartoon Network. I haven't seen it as yet, since I'm not sure if it's anything like the old school classics.

But all in all, on this Fourth Of July, I say, "Three cheers for Tom and Jerry!" :)

Trivia Question 42: In the Big Little Book "Tom And Jerry Meet Mr. Fingers," what type of flowers did the title villain plant near the city reservoir?

Answer: Daffodils.
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. James Vipond

James Vipond Intern Forum Member New Member

Tom & Jerry had another theatrical short set on the Fourth of July: "Safety Second", in which Jerry tries to discourage Nibbles from playing with fireworks.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Pokey J.Anti-Blockhead

Pokey J.Anti-Blockhead Intern Forum Member New Member

The original rivalry made lotsa folks laugh (and you will note I have a big tabby cat in my profile avatar :D). The only reason that those two were friends were a bunch of soccer moms (and some helpful folks at Broadcast Standards/Practices...)
  4. artytoons

artytoons Administrator I SUPPORT BCDB! Forum Member New Member

Tom and Jerry didn't really drive most of the 70s Hanna-Barbera stories too much...the one-shot guest characters did with them speaking the majority of the dialogue while Tom and Jerry gamely played along or becoming unwitting participants to the guest characters' motivations.

One interesting 70s H-B T&J story re-ignited the rivalry between the cat and the mouse when they played against each other in a tennis match...but most episodes had them as friends and allies against a common foe.

When the '70s H-B Tom and Jerry cartoons were shown in syndication along with the vintage MGM shorts, the H-B episodes did not have any title cards or opening. The full credits were shown at the end of each H-B T&J episode in syndication. My local tv station did use the 1970s H-B T&J opening (without Grape Ape or Mumbly) for its Tom and Jerry half hour show with the classic MGM cartoons, the 70s T&J episodes, and some A.A.P. Warner Brothers Bugs Bunny/Daffy Duck Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies cartoons mixed in.

In 1981, MGM used the Filmation Studios to animate a new "Tom and Jerry" series including new "Droopy" episodes for CBS. Frank Welker from the 1976 T&J Hanna-Barbera voice actor cast played Droopy, Slick Wolf, and other MGM characters for a brief period until the voice actors' union strike forced Filmation executive producer/uncredited bit role voice player Lou Scheimer to play all of Welker's parts.

MGM returned to Hanna-Barbera to produce the "Tom and Jerry Kids" cartoon series for FOX with Frank Welker reprising his Filmation Droopy voice and Don Messick as cast members from the 1970s T&J series participating in the voice cast.
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  5. Glowworm

Glowworm Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Actually, I'm fairly certain that Don Messick voiced Droopy in those shorts, Welker voiced McWolf while Charlie Addler voiced Dripple. Yeah, I had a weak spot for the Tom and Jerry Kids--although the Droopy and Dripple segments were my favorite.
  6. Aaron Handy III

Aaron Handy III Apprentice Forum Member New Member

Check out my website devoted to this particular incarnation of Tom & Jerry. :cool:

[​IMG]
  7. Bobby Bickert

Bobby Bickert Inbetweener Forum Member New Member

I remember one that was about Bigfoot. Only it turned out that Bigfoot was only about 3 feet tall, just with really big feet. The episode ended with Bigfoot becoming a forest ranger. Now wearing sneakers, he could stomp out campfires that weren't all the way out.
  8. MrCleveland

MrCleveland Key Animator Forum Member New Member

The 1975 reboot was okay.
    The 1980 reboot to me was a little worse.
    But the Gene Dietch T&J to me is the worst!

PS-Does the 1975 T&J theme here...

almost sound like this song?...

9. Ravi

Ravi Intern Forum Member New Member

I love the Tom and Jerry cartoon when i was a kid, Now days kids are watching oggy and the cockroaches on Nick India
  10. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Without formal credits to acknowledge who did what, there's no way to know for certain who supplied that snippet of dialogue. It is known that Bill Hanna supplies Tom's yips, yipes, and yowls in other Tom and Jerry cartoons. Which means that all-around nice guy Bill Hanna may well have given us that awesomely fiendish laugh and gloat. Talk about them inner demons ....
  11. shofarguy

shofarguy Newbie New Member

Hello, everyone! I joined this web forum because back in 1982, I was working for 1Hour Photo in Montclair, California. One day, while I was at the register talking to a customer on the phone, a middle aged man walked up and, with a smile, motioned for a 4x6 piece of paper. While I finished my conversation he finished this sketch and gave it to me.
    [​IMG]
    Does anyone have information about Bill Weber?
  12. Pradeep

Pradeep Member New Member

I think everybody loves Tom and Jerry cartoon. In India also it is a very popular cartoon. Now days Sonic Gang's cartoon are getting popular.
  13. poemsforkidspk

poemsforkidspk Apprentice Forum Member New Member

I love Tom and jerry cartoon.It' s very entertaining cartoon.