1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

10-4, Good Bears.

Discussion in 'Hanna-Barbera' started by emeraldisle, Jul 8, 2014.

1. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

The CB Bears didn't join a convoy, have a run-in with the White Knight, or even listen in on Shirley and Squirrelly. But they were a joy to watch...when I could.

Since the show initially aired at 8 a.m, the same time slot as "The All-New Superfriends Hour," I had trouble fitting it into my viewing schedule. But I did see it on certain occasions, for in 1977, there was no VCR in the house. It won't be easy to express my thoughts about six segments, but here goes:

"The CB Bears." Hustle, Boogie, and Bump used their CB to communicate with their boss. Well, in one episode, when Hustle said, "We're on it, Charlie," I thought, "Charlie? Then this is just like. 'Charlie's Angels!'" Of course, I didn't know their Charlie was female until long after the show was cancelled

"Heyyy! It's The King!" Hanna-Barbera certainly had a cool idea when they caricatured Fonzie as a lion. Still, I found it odd that he attended high school with both humans and animals, as shown in the episode, "The King For Prez." Whether he and the gang set out to rescue a circus animal who wanted his freedom, or he tried to set a new world record, he was one who never gave up, and I liked that. Even today, I'm convinced that the young lioness Sheena was named for the classic Ramones' song "Sheena Is A Punk Rocker."

"Undercover Elephant." UE wasn't the brightest secret agent, but he and Loud Mouse always accomplished their missions. However, I often wonder about two of the villains. Swami Salami was also the name of a Batfink villain from ten years earlier. And in another, the heroes contended with Dr. Doom(No, not that one). I'm surprised Stan Lee didn't sue for use of the name, even though this one was unrelated.

"Blast Off Buzzard And Crazy Legs." I guess H--B always wanted its own version of the Coyote and Road Runner and it did work, despite what the naysayers said. But I can't understand why the snake was called Crazy Legs, as like all snakes, he had none.

"Shake, Rattle, And Roll." Never saw these cartoons about ghosts running a haunted inn. So there's nothing for me to say about them.

"Posse Impossible." A sheriff with three ex-outlaws who became his deputies. Sort of like a Wild West version of "The Mod Squad." This trio, as I mentioned before, was first seen in the "Comedy Cowboys" episode of "Hong Kong Phooey." At that time, they were hired by Sheriff Tumbleweed. Here, they had a new boss. Guess Tumbleweed fired them somewhere down the line. But this was quite memorable.

When I posted my clues about Undercover Elephant, I said this series rated a 10-4. And believe me, it does. :)

Trivia Question 41: Repeats of "C.B. Bears" were eventually shown on what long-running classic kiddie show?

Answer: "Captain Kangaroo."
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  2. artytoons

artytoons Administrator I SUPPORT BCDB! Forum Member New Member

"Blast Off Buzzard and Crazy Legs" had the distinction of being a rare Hanna-Barbera cartoon with no dialogue or vocal effects. H-B cartoons were always known as "illustrated radio" with a lot of voice actors employed per series...or a small number of 2 or 3 voice actors who can perform with vocal versatility to cover several roles in one story. This show broke the "illustrated radio" rule. "Pink Panther and Sons" animated by H-B also had a silent Pink Panther segment in between stories featuring his talkative sons and their Rainbow Panther friends.

"C.B. Bears"- Susan Davis played the voice of Charlie with a breathy sultry voice. Definitely female. Daws Butler used his Phil Silvers-ish "Hokey Wolf" or "Hair Bear" voice as Hustle. Boogie (Chuck McCann) giggled a lot. Bump (Henry Corden) wore a trash can lid on his head.

"Undercover Elephant" was rerun in the Hanna-Barbera syndicated morning series "Wake, Rattle, and Roll"...retitled "Shake, Rattle, and Roll" when it aired on the Disney Channel in the afternoons...The "Shake Rattle and Roll" ghosts did not appear in that series.
    Daws Butler played Undercover Elephant, Bob Hastings played Loud Mouse, and Michael Bell played UE's boss, the Chief.

"Shake Rattle and Roll"...Shake the leader(Paul Winchell), Rattle the bellhop (Lennie Weinrib), and Roll the cook (Joe E. Ross "Ooo! Ooo!") usually battled determined if bungling ghost buster Sidney Merciless (Alan Oppenheimer, using his nasally Skeletor and Ming the Merciless (no relation) bad guy voice). It was "The Real Ghostbusters" or the rival Filmation Studios 1975 "Ghost Busters" show in reverse...with the ghosts as the sympathetic ones and the ghost buster as the resident bad guy.

"Heyyy It's the King"...Sheldon Allman, who played "Big H" the hippo, composed the theme song to the game show "Let's Make A Deal".
    Hanna-Barbera would later animate the actual Fonz, plus Richie Cunningham and Ralph Malph in "Fonz and The Happy Days Gang". Too bad, The King and The Fonz never met to have a contest in "cool".
    Lennie Weinrib played the King's voice. He also played the voice of a different Lion King (who likes soccer) in Disney's "Bedknobs and Broomsticks".
    Sheena could have been named after the comic book character "Sheena, Queen of the Jungle", which was adapted into a 1950s tv show starring Irish McCalla in the title role.
    A queen of the jungle who is a girlfriend of "The King" seems to make sense.

"Posse Impossible"- The stoic Sheriff was played by William Woodson, the narrator of the "Superfriends" series. Big Duke, was played by Daws Butler with a great John Wayne impersonation. Blubber (Chuck McCann) was a sensitive sort...blubbering like Blubber Bear in "Wacky Races". Stick (Daws Butler) sounded like Quick Draw McGraw.
    The entire "Posse Impossible" shorts were released on one home-video cassette by Worldvision. An early version of "Posse Impossible" appeared in the final episode of "Hong Kong Phooey" in which HK Phooey teamed up with 3 different crimefighting cowboy groups (one was a McCloud-like cowboy in a big city, another group was a wimpy cowboy who can turn into a superhero, and the third group was the Posse Impossible team prototypes of Big Duke, Blubber, and Stick with no Sheriff) all chasing the same Western-type bad guy in a half hour long story.

"The CB Bears" ran in an hour format for half a season on NBC...the cartoons were absorbed into a two hour cartoon block titled "Go Go Globetrotters" with reruns of the 1970 "Harlem Globetrotters" and the 1960s "Herculoids" cartoons added in the following Spring season. The new "Super Globetrotters" cartoon show premiered in the following season, based on the ratings that the older "Globetrotters" cartoons got during its NBC run...new "Herculoids" stories were created as part of the "Space Stars" series in 1980..and with the premiere delayed until Fall 1981 because of the animators' strike.

The series was hard to find in reruns. If this hour show is released on DVD, I'm buying one.
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Pokey J.Anti-Blockhead

Pokey J.Anti-Blockhead Intern Forum Member New Member

I wonder who Susan David was? She did a HB show ["Wonderwheels", already discussed in this forum] or four besides.

Listening to the "Blastoff Buzzard" cartoons and watching them, one can get an idea of what the 1969 Warner Brothers-Seven Arts cartoon "Rabbit Stew and Rabbits Too", a "pilot" that turned out to yield just that one short, was like: Roadrunner vs Coyote vs Roadrunner hijinx, but accompanied by Hanna-Barbera sound FX and limited-animation. Crazy Legs,btw,of course was adopted by DePatie-Freleng as a name some years earlier in the 1970s for the "Blue Racer" shorts.

NEEDLESS to say, those bears were EASILY adapting to the mid 70s CB craze..

As for Undercover Elephant and Loudmouth.

Voice cast:
    Undercover Elephant [voiced by Daws Butler] was yet another Frank ["EEEEEE"] Fontaine voice again.

Hastings, of course, just departed.RIP.
  4. Bill Lewis

Bill Lewis Animator Forum Member New Member

Many years later, H-B tried a revival of Blast-Off Buzzard as a one-shot episode on the ''Tom and Jerry Kids'' show. Don't remember too much about it,except in this version, the buzzard talked.
  5. Glowworm

Glowworm Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Yeah, I was going to mention that, as I used to watch Tom and Jerry Kids. I never knew that Blast-Off Buzzard was an already existing character until recently. From what I remembered, both Crazy Legs and Blast-Off Buzzard talked--and they may have been hanging around a construction site as the last gag involved Crazy Legs tricking Blast-Off Buzzard into holding onto a building--he figured it wasn't actually going to fall--CRASH!
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. artytoons

"Crazy Legs Crane" was a nemesis of the "Tijuana Toads" (later retitled and re-dubbed as "The Texas Toads") as well...

"Crazy Legs Crane" got a cartoon segment of his own in the late 1970s "Pink Panther" cartoons on ABC. Crazy Legs (Bob Holt) chased after an Andy Kaufman-Latka soundalike bug named Dragonfly (Frank Welker) in those cartoons.
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  7. artytoons

Susan Davis also played the voice of Ardeth Pratt the tomboy who worked as a mechanic in the 1969 "Hot Wheels" cartoon series.

Susan Davis acting credits here:

She played Mrs. Lightman in the film "WarGames" with Matthew Broderick and guest starred on various tv shows.

Susan Davis - IMDb
    • Useful Useful x 1