1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

Simply Funtastic.

Discussion in 'Hanna-Barbera' started by emeraldisle, Aug 2, 2014.

1. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

And now, my fellow Hanna-Barbera fans, my thoughts on "The Funtastic World Of Hanna-Barbera."

Since I covered "Yogi's Treasure Hunt," the new "Jonny Quest" episodes, and "Young Robin Hood," earlier, this thread is devoted to the other animated series seen on this long-running show.

The show was hosted by an actor in a Yogi Bear costume, who asked each of the animated "leads" if they were ready for showtime. "All set, Yogi," was their reply. Now on with the shows.

"Paw Paws." Here, I was looking at two tribes of Native American bears. Say, wasn't there a Frankie Goes To Hollywood song about two tribes going to war? That seemed to be what this show was all about. The Paw Paws vs. the Meanos. But they never used bows, arrows, and tomahawks, thank goodness. Instead, in times of trouble, Princess Paw Paw used her Mystic Moonstone to activate Totem Bear. He'd split into three separate components, and send Dark Paw, Slippery Paw, Bumble Paw, and occasionally, Aunt Pruney, packing. I cheered every time I saw that. So all in all, this series was awesome, I mean pawsome.

"Galtar And The Golden Lance." Hanna-Barbera had had handsome blond Alpha males before, like Freddy Jones and Alan Mayberry. But unlike them, Galtar was a fearless warrior out for blood. I guess I would be too, if my adversary killed my parents. Too bad the show ended abruptly without showing if Tormack got the fate he deserved.

HBTV. Very similar to Disney's DTV, this was just animated videos of various H-B cartoons set to classic songs of the '60's, '70's, and '80's. The songs included "Monster Mash," 'Catch A Wave(which was also featured on DTV), and "Ghostbusters." This was also the first time I saw clips from H-B's "Alice In Wonderland," set to "You Crack Me Up" by Huey Lewis And The News. That song was also the only one I'd never heard on the radio. I loved all these videos, and feel there should have been more of them.

"Sky Commanders." Never got into this one, possibly because I thought two military factions engaged in combat was a bit of a stretch for a kiddie show.

"Fantastic Max." Max was cute and adorable. I liked how he was able to talk at his age, and pretend his alien friends AB and FX were merely toys. Plus, "Rocket and roll!" was a brilliant catchphrase.

"The Further Adventures Of Superted." I preferred H-B's version of this superhero to the original Welsh version. As always, H-B did a superb animation job, and the episodes were remarkable.

"Paddington Bear." Never got past the opening credits with this one. Maybe I should have seen it, and also read the books.

"Midnight Patrol: Adventures In The Dream Zone." I did see a handful of episodes, but in the end, decided it was strictly for those under the age of ten. But Potsworth was one cool dog.

"The Adventures Of Don Coyote And Sancho Panda." This was another one I didn't see much of. It was obvious from the beginning that it was inspired by the classic novel, which I read. I also saw "Man Of La Mancha" on stage twice. All of those, plus Mr. Magoo's adaptation were way better than this. Cervantes himself was probably rolling over in his grave.

"Two Stupid Dogs." I'll never know why this was included in the mix. To spare myself the pain of seeing crude humor, I only saw promos of the series.

"Swat Kats: The Radical Squadron. Yes, I saved the best for last. As Sassy said in the first "Homeward Bound" movie, "Cats rule, and dogs drool." T-Bone and Razor certainly did rule here. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing them suit up to take on such feline villains as Dr. Viper, the Metallikats, Dark Kat, and The Pastmaster. Callie, Felina, and Ann Gora were also purrfect leading lady kats. But I wish it hadn't ended with three unproduced episodes. Those were ones I'd have liked to see.

BTW, shows that were added to the mix after their network runs have either already been covered, or will be covered at a later date.

Trivia Question 15: Name the three animals that comprised Totem Bear.

Answer: Bear, Eagle, and Turtle.
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  2. artytoons

artytoons Administrator I SUPPORT BCDB! Forum Member New Member

There was a 4 week game show segment titled "Skedaddle" hosted by the "Down and Dirty Dinosaurs" who took over as hosts for the "Funtastic World of H-B" block in its final season. Children performed tossed an object around in a game of "Hot Potato" and performed stunts within a time limit for a prize. Created and produced by Jay Wolpert who worked as an executive producer for "The Price Is Right" in the 1970s and who created game shows like "Whew!", "Hit Man", and "Blackout" . Wolpert later wrote the screenplays to the "Pirates of the Caribbean" films for Disney. The segment were short and took over the "HB-tv" music videos segments. A Nickelodeon "Double Dare" type stunt game that didn't last very long.

I think the "Skedaddle" segments were replaced with additional short comedy bits with the "Down and Dirty Dinosaurs" (actors in costumes like "The Banana Splits" and "The Skatebirds").

Stanley Ralph Ross (Grodd the gorilla on "Challenge of the Super Friends" and writer of many tv series including the Adam West "Batman" and Lynda Carter "Wonder Woman" shows) played the voice of Dark Paw in "Paw Paws".

Neil Barbera (son of Joe) created "Galtar and the Golden Lance" and wrote many episodes. Lou Richards (Leader-1 on "Challenge of the Gobots") played Galtar, Mary McDonald-Lewis (Lady Jaye on "G.I. Joe") played Princess Goleeta, and Brock Peters played Tormak the main villain.

"Sky Commanders" was based on the Kenner toy line...no different than "GI Joe" with Mike Summit's (Bob Ridgley) good guy Commanders battling General Lucas Plague's (Bernard Erhard) bad guy Raiders by using weapons-laden ski lift chair-type means of transportation from mountain to mountain in the storylines.

Mike Young developed "SuperTed", "Fantastic Max", and "Midnight Patrol" for Hanna-Barbera after relocating from the United Kingdom to the United States.
    Mike Young would produce the tv series "Bratz" and "Jakers! The Adventures of Piggley Winks" for US television.

"Midnight Patrol" was shown in Europe under the title "Potsworth and Company". The characters were created in England for a brand of children's sleepwear. The BBC objected to the title "Midnight Patrol" because they felt it was inappropriate for children being awake and having adventures at Midnight and the title was changed for broadcasts outside the US.
    Elizabeth Harnois (now a regular cast member as forensics expert Morgan Brody on "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation") played Rosie. Rob Paulson played the Nightmare Prince. Clive Revill played Potsworth. Hamilton Camp played The Grand Dozer.

Nancy Cartwright played FX the alien in "Fantastic Max".

Charlie Adler played the voice of "Paddington Bear" and Tim Curry played the grouchy neighbor named...Mr. Curry.

Mike Young created "SuperTed" in 1978 in the UK . Victor Spinetti and Melvyn Hayes reprised their UK SuperTed cartoon roles in the US Hanna-Barbera series as villains Texas Pete and Skeleton, respectively. The UK cartoons had Derek Griffiths playing SuperTed and Jon Pertwee playing sidekick Spottyman...the Hanna-Barbera cartoons had Danny Cooksey played SuperTed and Pat Fraley playing Spottyman.

US viewers may be familiar with Melvyn Hayes 's role as Albert the street cleaner in the 1970s kids series "Here Come The Double Deckers", produced in England and broadcast in the US in 1971 on ABC Saturday Mornings.
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  3. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

My only thought about "Skedaddle" is that I don't know if I'd have liked it had I seen it. That goes for "Down And Dirty Dinosaurs," too.
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  4. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

If I may, let me give some love to The Adventures of Don Coyote and Sancho Panda. As mentioned, this cartoon series was very loosely based on the work by Miguel de Cervantes, about a knight errant and his squire patrolling the kingdom, functioning much like the king's samurai. Of course, it's much easier to write this character as a delusional buffoon, especially for an audience that's mostly children. For me, it helps to think that Don Coyote started out as a normal, sane, responsible knight in service to His Majesty. Then came the news that the council of knights was being dissolved, in favor of regional governors. Don Coyote was told to his face that he's no longer needed, that everything he was, everything he'd aspired to, was passé and obsolete. This sea change broke his mind, and he continues on his knightly rounds because it's the only thing that, for him, ever made sense. And I'd like to point out that getting set out at the metaphorical curb as reward for all his hard work is a theme very familiar to Bill Hanna and Joe Barbera.
  5. artytoons

artytoons Administrator I SUPPORT BCDB! Forum Member New Member

Frank Welker used a Snagglepuss/Bert Lahr-type voice as Don Coyote. Like Sancho Panza to Don Quixote, Sancho Panda acted as the "Babu Looey" to Don Coyote's "Quick Draw McGraw" in being a voice of reason when Don Coyote/Quick Draw goes overboard in plans...needless to say Don Coyote/Quick Draw would ignore their sidekicks' advice to backfiring comedic effect.
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1