1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

Hanna-Barbera Cartoons and Cartoon Network's treatment

Discussion in 'Hanna-Barbera' started by artytoons, Aug 19, 2014.

1. artytoons

artytoons Administrator I SUPPORT BCDB! Forum Member New Member

Ummm....Do Cartoon Network executives know of the existence of other Hanna-Barbera cartoon characters outside of the x number of revivals of "Scooby Doo?"...and if so, do you think the characters are remembered with a sense of respect and historical significance there?

"Space Ghost Coast to Coast" turned the hero into something of a clueless talk show host.

"Harvey Birdman: Attorney At Law" was amusing in turning the hero into a lawyer and seeing many vintage Hanna-Barbera characters showing up in various guest roles as defendants, plaintiffs, jurors, and witnesses...but not exactly something taken seriously.

"Sealab 2021" parodied the original undersea adventure cartoon with more adult-oriented material.

The H-B cartoons got moved to the Boomerang channel in the late 1990s which can not be accessed by Comcast Cable nor other cable providers not related to Time-Warner Cable. Seems Boomerang has taken off most H-B cartoons for Cartoon Network's mid to late 2000's reruns currently.

With so many H-B series, it is something of an insult as a long time fan to see 98 percent of the studio's output being treated with disrespect or as a parody of itself if new episodes are produced...or one series getting all the green light in revivals and creative discussions.

Are there any previous Hanna-Barbera cartoons that might deserve revivals or productions of new episodes in the same style as its original approach...like the new "Space Ghost" and "Herculoids" cartoons made in 1980 for "Space Stars" and new "Jetsons" episodes made for weekday broadcast in the 1980s to add to the original 1960s episode count? (H-B series based on concepts that are owned by other creators or companies may not count given legal hassles involved)
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  2. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Personally, I'd like to see continuations of "Shazzan," "The Adventures Of Gulliver," "Jana Of The Jungle," "Wildfire," and "Pirates Of Dark Water" just so these series can have satisfying endings. And what about new episodes of "Birdman" that show Birdboy finding his father? Remember, he was inexplicably written out during the last few episodes.
  3. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Honestly, yes, I see the Hanna-Barbera characters and legacy being respected. Not lauded, of course, but respected at least.

Firstly, there is the case of Space Ghost, this cosmic caped hero zooming around Outer Space blasting baddies as he goes. Except for a few tight spots where he came underprepared or overmatched, Space Ghost tended to come across as a too-serious Mary Sue character, much too one-dimensional. The Coast To Coast interview / infighting show took some cues from Pixar's Mister Incredible: he's this indestructible muscular do-gooder, but hilariously ill-suited to a mundane environment. He's the five-block Tetris piece in a four-block world. I saw the SG:C2C show as humorous and humanizing, and made good ol' Space Ghost much more likeable in my eyes.

Birdman also was too serious and too one-dimensional. I suppose in a superhero series where the hero has to respond to a villain, get whomped, recover, counter-whomp the villain, and sign off for the day ... yes, Birdman ran the drill like a pro. Again, though, taking Birdman out of his usual venue and shoehorning Dorothy into Munchkin Land was laughable and likeable.

The Sealab parody? That seems to me to be a memetic derivative, meant to undermine their undersea Utopia. I'm seeing a pattern where H-B shows that might have taken themselves a little too seriously where re-imagined with faults and foibles mixed in. Really, as wonderful as Hanna and Barbera's Tom And Jerry cartoons were for MGM studios, it's a given that Tom Cat would have some choice edits made in those cartoons if he had the wherewithal.

As far as not airing the Hanna-Barbera library as much as they used to: remember, much of that wonderful library has been released on VCR tapes and DVD's. It might undermine their sales to broadcast that same content, especially nowadays, when digital recording can easily circumvent buying the actual releases. Plus, television, eternally hungry for fresh content, compels the artists behind the cartoons to mine fresh lodes of cartoon content. Simply rehashing the same old cartoons, wonderful as they are, will inevitably trigger a growing chorus of "Whaddaya got thazz NEW?" And let's be fair: Johnny Bravo, The Powerpuff Girls, Ben 10, Chowder, and Avatar The ... bender, and other series stepped up to take their place.

For myself, I'm mindful that Bill Hanna and Joe Barbera rarely turned down a cartoon premise flat. Some needed tweaking, to be sure. Nonetheless, Hanna-Barbera fielded oodles of new, exploratory material, and rarely milked a premise until it became a zombie. Perhaps that was the Secret of their Success: Bill and Joe could go in any direction, and somehow find the audience hook, be it comedy or drama. Or both.
  4. emeraldisle

I remember when CN had Boomerang and Superchunk on the weekends. These were blocks of classic H-B cartoons. In addition, most of the old ones came on every morning, afternoon, evening, and night. The spinoff network Boomerang had blocks of superhero/adventure and mystery cartoons from the H-B library, but those are gone. Thankfully, I have most of these great series on DVD.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. artytoons

artytoons Administrator I SUPPORT BCDB! Forum Member New Member

Add "Around The World in 79 Days" to the list...there was no Day 79 episode made.

"Speed Buggy" was rerun on all three major networks for several years...with the same 16 episodes from Season one. That was one show that begged for new episodes during its tv network lifespan.

"Clue Club" had some decent who-dun-it type mysteries and deserved better than the edited down 10 minute "Whoofer and Whimper" reruns on "The Skatebirds."

To be fair, the original and 1980s Space Ghost and original Birdman cartoons were only about 10 minutes in length...only enough time to present the adventure and the good guy winning without much in character development. A half hour-long story might help more in adding character history and development although some fans of the original shows might complain of the boring "padding" stuff in-between the action.
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  6. emeraldisle

Actually, these cartoon ran for less than ten minutes each. Still, I'd have loved to have seen the backstories for Space Ghost, Birdman The Galaxy Trio, The Herculoids, and even Samson And Goliath.