1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

Let's Get Wacky And Have A Couple Of Spinoffs.

Discussion in 'Hanna-Barbera' started by emeraldisle, Apr 10, 2014.

1. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Hanna-Barbera made one of its smartest decisions ever when it produced "The Wacky Races."

The show marked the studio's return to comedy. And I was laughing as I saw a diverse group of race car drivers. Peter Perfect, Penelope Pitstop, and Dastardly and Muttley were all modeled on characters from "The Great Race." And the others were there to even the odds. I remember the opening and closing, as well as two episodes. One had Peter Perfect stopping his car when he saw a cat in the road. Another had Penelope complaining that her hair was a mess. Luckily, she was able to do something about it right there in her car.

And Dastardly and Muttley were the professional cheaters. But like Professor Fate and Max, they invariably failed. The closing, which had the announcer stating that the race began next week, had Dastardly gloating about potential victory, whereupon the show's title rained down on him and Muttley. Reason enough to saw "Drat and double drat."

The show won the ratings race(pun intended) for the 1968-69 season, so H-B decided to produce spinoffs. So on to them now:

"The Perils Of Penelope Pitstop." Penelope had given up racing, and now either went to visit friends like the Earl Of Crumpets, or to take part in a special event, like a ribbon-cutting ceremony or the unveiling of a statue. But Sylvester Sneekly, AKA The Hooded Claw, and his henchmen the Bully Brothers were always there to knock her off somehow. These characters even broke the fourth wall repeatedly. Penelope was capable of escaping on her own, which she sometimes did before the Anthill Mob showed up. But they came to her rescue just as often.

Still, I ask myself, why did it have to be the Anthill Mob to play the heroes? Why not Peter Perfect? He was her guy in "The Wacky Races," so he should have been her rescuer, too, don't you agree? I also noticed that their car, Chug-A-Boom" had "human" traits, like refusing to enter cold water, that were later displayed by Speed Buggy and Wheelie.

Althoughd the Bully Brothers spoke in unison most of the time, there was one exception. In "Big Baghdad Danger," they spoke to each other for the first and only time, when they saw the Anthill Mob disguised as, well, a small portion of the Forty Thieves. The dialogue went like this:

"Look! It's the Forty Thieves!"
    "But there are only seven of them!"
    "Well, I can't wait for the other thirty-three! Run!"

But despite all this, I thoroughly enjoyed TPOPP. Now I don't keep tallies, but I believe the Hooded Claw said "Blast" as many times as Dick Dastardly said "Drat, double drat, and triple drat!" Speaking of which......

"Dastardly And Muttley In Their Flying Machines." The title characters continued on here, disreputable as ever. This time, along with Zilly and Klunk, they tried to take out Yankee Doodle Pigeon and intercept the messages he was carrying. They were just as unsuccessful as they were in TWR. Even when Zilly was hypnotized into thinking he was the bravest man alive, they failed. The Wing Dings were funny, too, and so was "Magnificent Muttley," in which the dog imagined himself as a courageous hero. Maybe he was trying to mend his ways. Who knows, since he never actually did here and in his and Dastardly's later appearances in the '80's and '90's.

Finally, I have a confession to make. There used to be an Internet radio station that played "Stop That Pigeon" from time to time. Against my better judgement, I sang along with it every time I heard it. There's just no way to get that theme out of your head.
    Last edited: May 13, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Bill Lewis

Bill Lewis Animator Forum Member New Member

Actually,I kind of liked the pairing of Penelope with the Ant Hill Mob,Peter Perfect seemed way too obvious.Plus,it sorta reminded me of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (with the Hooded Claw as the''wicked queen'').I also liked that "Dastardly and Muttley'' was one of the few cartoons that gave star billing to the villains ,as opposed to, say,the "Road Runner'',where we all know the star of that cartoon was the Coyote.
  3. artytoons

artytoons Administrator I SUPPORT BCDB! Forum Member New Member

"Wacky Races" was a co-production of Hanna-Barbera and game show producers Merrill Heatter and Bob Quigley. Heatter-Quigley had produced game shows such as "The Hollywood Squares", "Gambit", "High Rollers", "The Magnificent Marble Machine", "All Star Blitz", and "Baffle"/"PDQ". There was a proposed game show segment within the "Wacky Races" program with child contestants predicting the winner of the race in each episode for a prize. The game show segment was dropped before the series premiered and "Wacky Races" was presented as a half hour cartoon series in its CBS network run.

The spinoffs were the idea of then-CBS programming chief Fred Silverman. With superhero cartoons falling out of favor with the Vietnam War and the assassinations of Marin Luther King, Jr. and Robert Kennedy in 1968, Silverman liked the "Wacky Races" concept and ratings and requested Hanna-Barbera to spin off some of the characters into separate new shows.

"Dastardly and Muttley" was a rarity in which the main characters were all "bad guys"...with The Vulture Squadron (Dastardly, Muttley, Klunk, and Zilly) as the enemy and Yankee Doodle Pigeon being the good guy. Michael Maltese, who wrote many Warner Brothers cartoons including the back-firing gadgets used by Wile E. Coyote in his unsuccessful attempts in capturing the Road Runner, wrote the "Dastardly and Muttley" cartoons with the zany airplanes/weapons and its back-firing on Dastardly and company. The cartoon show was also rare in which only two voice actors, Don Messick and Paul Winchell, were used for every one of the half hour series in the season.

"The Perils of Penelope Pitstop" had the best voice cast ever for a cartoon series with Janet Waldo, Paul Winchell, Don Messick, Mel Blanc, Gary Owens, and Paul Lynde lending their distinctive talents.

Muttley later inspired the 1977 "Mumbly" cartoons on ABC (where Fred Silverman was ABC's chief of programming at that time) . Mumbly was revealed to be Muttley's brother in "Laff-A-Lympics" with the Dread Baron being the brother of Dick Dastardly. Mumbly was a snickering police dog detective who usually drove bad guys crazy by following and harassing them in confessing to the crimes they committed. Like Lt. Columbo, Mumbly wore a raincoat and drove a broken down car. Mumbly reported to Lt. Shnooker who resembled the bald tv detective Kojak. Mumbly was a "good guy" in his police duties and was sympathetic compared to crooks he encountered or to Lt. Shnooker who took credit for Mumbly's police work... but the snickering dog in blue turned villain as the leader of the cheating "Really Rottens" team in "Laff-A-Lympics".
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  4. MattPriceTime

MattPriceTime Intern Forum Member New Member

And now here i go, about to give recollections on the Wacky Racers. I do love the Wacky Races. Such a fun and wild show. I enjoyed watching the events of the race unfold even if racing in real life does little for me. I always wanted to know if Dick Dastardly was ever going to actually pick up the win. But i often was mostly rooting for the Creepy Coupe and Peter Perfect. The Wacky Races themselves were often shown on both weekday mornings and weekends in my youth. So by the time the DVD came along, i indeed had vague memories of all the episodes. It also ran in the early 200s at the tail end of the second incarnation of Boomerang in that time. It seemed a bit lost though coming after like four hours of funny animals.

One thing i really like is that so many gags happen in the Wacky Races that both make each episode fun yet at the same time really doesn't make any of them stand out to me as big time favorite. However Peter Perfect's car coming undone was one of my favorite gags of the show.

---

The Perils of Penelope Pitstop is another one of my all time favorites. Paul Lynde is one of my favorite actors and him as the Hooded Claw is nothing short of amazing. I'm also a sucker for the old time productions with the damsel in distress theme. So this show really hits all the right bits to work for me. The Claw's laugh is also just brilliant. His interaction with the narrator voiced by another of my favorite voice actors Gary Owens. The show has a lot of good gags that get me all the time.

This show was often on the Cartoon-A-Doodle-Doo block at 6-7am weekdays. And when it was on i used to stay up all night in hopes of catching it. Sometimes yes even on school nights, i was a little claw being devious myself haha. Seeing all the episodes on DVD was also a cool moment. This was another one that had me jumping for joy.

---

Stop the pigeon! Stop the pigeon! Stop the pigeon! Oh right i have to talk about the show. Well yes it's great as well. I loved rooting for Dastardly and Muttley but i doubt they ever stopped the pigeon. This show similar to the RR/WEC shorts it was simple in it's basic form. But had so many different gags to put to use, it never once got old, and still isn't old no matter how many times i watch it. And that theme! Stop the piegon! Stop the pigeon...ohh i did it again.

Like Penelope, Flying Machines was a regular on Cartoon-a-Doodle-Doo. Which is where i mostly saw it except when the regular cartoons aired in between other shows. But what i saw gave me more than enough to want to try and do you know what. A truly simple yet amazing show for sure.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. emeraldisle

Trivia Queston 68: In the episode "The Diabolical Department Store Danger," Softy stops Chugaboom to avoid running over: A. Nails and tacks. B. A perfume bottle. C. A Teddy bear. D. A mannequin.
  6. James Vipond

James Vipond Intern Forum Member New Member

It was a teddy bear.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. emeraldisle

Absolutely right! You know the show as well as I do. :)