1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

Tear-jerkers

Discussion in 'Other / Multiple Studios' started by Dave Koch, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Dave Koch

Dave Koch Cartoon Admin

I have started this thread because there was a similar thread on GAC.

Jus how many "tear-jerker" cartoons can you name?

Best wishes,
    E.
  2. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

That's easy. "Bambi," "The Lion King," and most recently, "How To Train Your Dragon 2."
  3. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

For what it's worth, I managed to save the old thread from the gossamer forum as a text file.
    Would it be appropriate to import those responses here? Or should this thread regrow on its own?
  4. artytoons

artytoons Administrator I SUPPORT BCDB! Forum Member New Member

"Snoopy Come Home"...particularly Snoopy and Lila's reunion and Snoopy's going away party.

anime:
    "Grave of the Fireflies"- the fate of the two kids after the bomb is dropped on Hiroshima.

"Kimagure Orange Road: "I Want To Return To That Day"... Kyosuke breaks up with one of the two girls he likes.

"Urusei Yatsura: The Final Chapter" ...the end of the chase contest.
  5. BloodyChamp

BloodyChamp Apprentice Forum Member New Member

I think I started a thread called "Cartoons that make you cry" here once. It's possible I started 1 at GAC too (there were probably dozens of them there over time).

Somewhere in Dreamland
    Feed the Kitty
    Tom Thumb in Trouble
    Born to Peck
    Little Dutch Mill
    There's Good Boos Tonight
    Little Match Girl
    ...and many more. I'm a sucker for these cartoons.
  6. oneuglybunny

I believe you did indeed start a "Cartoons That Made You Cry" thread, back in the old, obsolete Gossamer forum. In fact, I think I have a text-only copy running around in one of my hard drives; I'll have to dig it out and see about reposting it here. Good memory, BloodyChamp, f/k/a 60a1wrestling60. :D
  7. oneuglybunny

Aha, I wuz rite. Me founded your original post. Here it is:
    Posted on 26 April 2004 at 21:00

Has a cartoon ever made anyone here cry? Not me but I admit I had to fight it a few times.

One of my all time favorite cartoons is the one where Casper befriends the fox who comes back as a ghost. That's an incredible cartoon.

Another one stars Raggedy Anne who is carried around by the poor blind girl with a single momma. They're both friends of some police officer, too.

> addendum by eminovitz =

Those were both Noveltoons by Famous Studios, which was good
    at making tear-jerkers. You're talking about There's Good Boos
    Tonight (with Ferdie the Fox; 1948) and The Enchanted Square
    (1947). <

"The Little Mole" is another good one.

I also enjoyed some BnW Mickey Mouse cartoon that I saw. It was a Christmas one where Mickey trades Pluto for cash and then regrets it. Sad stuff.

What are your picks?
    • Like Like x 1
  8. BloodyChamp

You should hang on to all of those files! There was alot of cool atucf on that old forum, including the thread that prompted my name change [rip]:bag::eggface::angelic:
  9. oneuglybunny

Oh, I have a fair number of old Gossamer threads saved as text-only files. The trick is to figure out which hard drive holds them; I have eight, currently, three with the 40-pin connector and five with the newer SATA plug. The next post in your old thread was this one:

Posted on 26 April 2004 at 21:16

Well to stay away from full features including Disney's catalogue, one of the my favorite sad cartoons is Blue Cat Blues. It's nice to know some other than me as heartached over a girl before. More ache than cry though.
  10. BloodyChamp

11. MrCleveland

MrCleveland Key Animator Forum Member New Member

My dad cried when he first saw "Frozen".

I've seen some cartoons that almost made me cry..."Feed the Kitty" was one of the many LT cartoons that was dramatic...and the "Family Guy" ep called "New Kidney in Town" was an ep that I almost cried. It's a perfectly written episode, it was funny when it was and dramatic when it was proper.
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  12. Minotaur714

Minotaur714 Intern Forum Member New Member

The "Dead Duck" episode of Darkwing Duck is a bit of a tearjerker, especially at the end when he's about to leave and is saying goodbye to Gosalyn.

A sad moment with Twilight Sparkle and Spike when they visit the ruins of the library on last week's MLP episode.
  13. Michael J. Ruhland

Michael J. Ruhland Apprentice Forum Member New Member

Plague Dogs
    Futurama (Jurassic Bark, Parasites Lost, The Luck of the Fryish, Game of Tones, etc.)
    Dumbo
    Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (When they think Snow White is dead)
    Homer's Mother leaving at the end of "Homer's Mother" on the Simpsons
    "Old Money" -Simpsons episode
    Barney and Betty talking about not having a baby in the episode "Little Bam Bam" on The Flintstones
    Be My Valentine Charlie Brown
    Waltz With Bashir
    The Dress ripping scene from Cinderella
    The Last Meow from "Allegro Non Troppo

Man there are just so many I could list.
  14. oneuglybunny

Time to dig up more for the archives.

Posted on 27 April 2004 at 05:06 by TammiToon

Well, how about this for a tearjerker? Cock-A-Doodle Dino. A mother hen adopts a brontosaurus, then cries twice: when he's sold to a circus, and later, when she believes he's dead. Her prehistoric stepson also sheds tears when he misses the only family he knew. This is definitely one for the Kleenex.

And although I hardly ever cry while watching superhero cartoons, the one exception is "Mind Pollution," an episode of Captain Planet. In this one, Linka and her cousin Boris get hooked on a drug called Bliss. Linka doesn't see the error of her ways until Boris dies of an overdose. By the time the episode gets to that part, tears start running down my cheeks.

and this one:

Posted on 27 April 2004 at 08:34 by Jor-El

Many, many, many years ago (it was probably 1956 or so), my aunt took her daughter and me to see Bambi. My cousin and I were both about 5 or 6 years old. I naturally ended up bawling my eyes out, but my cousin was apparently unaffected by the story. Of course, being a male, it was somewhat embarrassing.
  15. Pokey J.Anti-Blockhead

Pokey J.Anti-Blockhead Intern Forum Member New Member

Pixie and Dixie's second season (1959) on Huckleberry Hound, "Lend Lease Meece", one of a handful with that fat cat usually named Charlie-
    A little hobo mouse (Don Messick) with classic old-school bag with goodies on stick comes and laments how he's never "had a cat" (the Hi-Q
    background music, the same heart-wrenching tearjerker we've heard on Jay Ward's "Ugly Duckling"(and J.P.Hogfat) (Fractured Fairy Tale, the
    "A Star is Born" version of the tale), and on Quick Draw McGraw cartoons (I mentioned it in the post that s former user mentioned ten years ago,
    "Music in early HB and Clokey", Gumby's "How not to trap lions" started with that cue...I started bawling back in the 60s whenever it played..LOL(

Agreed on "Feed the Kitty"...

Some "Flintstones" like several showbiz spoofs season openers, "Dino Goes Hollyrock"-the "Sassie" episode (third season one of the last with the original "Bugs Bunny Show" sounding themes)
    when Fred's tear extinquishes a candle that he's put out (no pun intended) the window and "No Biz Like Show Biz"-the "Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm sing 'Open up your Heart and let the Sunshine in'" one (Season 6), several times when Fred and Barney are out on the gold course discussing the babies' future (and the old song being sung is a bit sad,too, despite being upbeat in tempo)( (and it also gets realy scary on the freeway), even though it was only a dream.
  16. oneuglybunny

More archives coming:

Posted on 27 April 2004 at 15:27 by eminovitz

Another very sad toon with Raggedy Ann was Suddenly It's Spring (1944). Raggedy implores the weather to cooperate so that her owner, little Nancy, can enjoy the benefits of the sun to recover from illness. The wind blows the clouds away, and the sun comes out and Nancy gets better. The doctor says it must have been a miracle.

The Song Of The Birds, a 1935 Color Classic by Fleischer Studios, is a near cryfest. A boy with an air rifle goes out into the garden and shoots at a nest, then at one of the little birds. The bird falls to the ground, and it appears the boy has killed it. The robins stage a bird funeral. The boy's conscience gets to him, and he falls to his kneels, crying and praying for the bird. The sky also weeps with large tears of rain, which cause the little bird to awaken. This was remade by Famous Studios in 1949 with Little Audrey instead of the boy, but it doesn't tear at the heartstrings nearly as much.

A couple of Warner Bros. cartoons with very sad scenes are 1952's Feed The Kitty (where Marc Anthony thinks that Pussyfoot has been baked into a cookie) and 1942's Ding Dog Daddy (in which the Shy Dog has his beloved "Daisy" taken away and heads to the factory to find "her").

and

Posted on 27 April 2004 at 16:22 by 60a1wrestling60

I can't believe I forgot Feed the Kitty. You are so right.

There's also another that I'm kicking myself for leaving out. I dunno the name, of course. It's the one where the baby in the playpen outside is friends with raccoons. They eat watermelon and spit the seeds out in patterns like kids often do for fun. The parents move and the child cries when it's time to leave. When they get to the new house in the city the baby destroys everything without getting caught and the parents decide the house stinks and they go back home, much to the baby's and raccoon's joy. Good cartoon.

> addendum by eminovitz =

Little Lambkin (Color Classics; Fleischer Studios, 1940). The penned-up little boy is friends with a raccoon and a squirrel. <
  17. Robotboy

Robotboy Newbie New Member

Robotboy episode The Tune Up always makes me cry...
  18. oneuglybunny

Posted on 27 April 2004 at 16:57 by WileECoyote

I think it's sad (but not crying-sad) when Dinkleburg on the Fairly Oddparents episode "The Grass is Greener" kills a cow on a grill to make four steaks. Isn't that cruel? I mean, actually showing death, dying, and killing on an innocent kids-aimed cartoon!

I also feel sad on the Simpsons episode "Bart on the Road" when Nelson throws Martin's electronic toy Scottie Dog out the window of their car. The dog barks twice, flips through the air, and then gets run over and smashed all to pieces! Then we hear Nelson call out a low-pitched "haaw-haaaw!

and

Posted on 27 April 2004 at 19:02 by eminovitz

Another cartoon in the Color Classics series is also a weepie.
    In the climax of Hawaiian Birds (1936), the singing girl bird is thrown out of a swanky big-city jazz club in mid-winter. Alone and thinking that she has lost her boyfriend forever, she kisses his picture and attempts suicide by jumping off a skyscraper. Both sad and scary, because you don't know what happens next. But there's a happy ending. (Best Hawaiian music I've ever heard in a cartoon, by the way.)

Plus, for myself, I've gotten into the josei series Usagi Drop, based on the story by Yumi Unita. Rin is such a little sweetheart, and a goodly portion of the story is told from her perspective. If you remember Bill Bixby's The Courtship of Eddie's Father or Brian Keith's Family Affair, then Usagi Drop runs on the same mechanics.
  19. oneuglybunny

Posted on 28 April 2004 at 03:09 by Cartoonmadness

I can't remember an animated series/special/film that either made me cry or made me fight back tears (yes, I never got in touch with my inner self).

I do remember being in the first showing of a packed movie theatre for "Transformers: The Movie" and there were very few dry eyes during the Optimus Prime death scene.

and

Posted on 28 April 2004 at 12:16 by artytoons

The segment in "Allegro Non Troppo" with the homeless cat walking through an abandoned building thinking of its past days of comfort with Sibelius's "Valse Triste" playing. Rather heartbreaking.
  20. Thumpsquid

Thumpsquid Apprentice Forum Member New Member

"The Selfish Giant" (1971)
    The story overall, The King's Singers "Building A Wall" and the twist ending, that this BCF'er did not fully understand until his big bro' explained it to him... :bigtears:

"The Wind In The Willows" (1984 - 1987)

Not any particular episode or story element but the theme song, composed by Keith Hopwood and performed by Ralph McTell;

N.B. This is the extended version, released as a single in the U.K., not the greatly truncated, (but still marvellous), version used in the actual series.