1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

A chick grows up in a nest with a cockoo chick that bullies him.

Discussion in 'Mystery Cartoon' started by Calvin, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Calvin

Calvin Newbie New Member

So first of all some facts that I remember:

I once had a collection of short cartoon films all in one VHS tape. I was born in the mid of the 90’s so my parents probably got this VHS at that time. The cartoons all had the same animation and drawing style so I’m sure they are all from the same company. In my memory these cartoons were in color, but they could have been in black/white. The judging by how I remember the sound and the music, I can imagine that the cartoons were from the 50’s (+-).

I can remember two of the cartoons on this tape:

The cartoon I remember the best started out with a black cuckoo bird going to another birds nest, throwing out the eggs that were already in there to have space for its own egg. Then the cuckoo bird disappeared and there are two eggs left in the nest. One cuckoo egg and one egg of the original nest owner. After the eggs hatch, the baby bird that belongs to the actual nest owner has to deal with the cuckoo baby that is much bigger than him. The cuckoo baby bullies the other bird baby. Then at some point the bullied bird baby gets into some dream world. I think he fell out of the nest or something.. It’s hard to remember how it happened. In this dream word, the background was all black, I think, and there were many other birds and they started to sing in deep voices and the baby bird felt very uncomfortable around them. There might have been a narrator voice at the beginning, I’m not sure about that.

The second Cartoon I remember was about two cat’s that were rivals. They were fighting for a third female cat I believe. The protagonist cat got beaten up at some point but the female cat chose him in the end..? I’m not really sure about this story.

I really want to find the first cartoon I have written down though. I hope this forum is still used since the last post on this subject was 3 years ago.

Thanks for the attention.
  2. straydog

straydog Moderator Staff Member Forum Member New Member

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

For what it's worth: real cuckoos actually do lay their eggs in the nests of other birds. Cuckoos have developed ways to make their egg shells close counterfeits of those of the surrogate birds. The surrogate parents warm the cuckoo egg along with their own in the nest. The cuckoo usually hatches first, and the cuckoo hatchling, though featherless and sightless, will push the other eggs out of the nest whenever the surrogate parents are gone. Cuckoos were named after the sound of their mating call, and this behavior of laying their eggs in the "wrong" nest made cuckoo synonymous with foolish. In fact, this is an ingenious parasitic mechanism, that makes other species care for the cuckoo's young.
  4. Calvin

Calvin Newbie New Member

Wow thank you guys, this brings up a lot of nostalgia!

I have been searching for "cockoo cartoon" but somehow I could not find it, maybe bcs there are a lot of cartoons that have a cockoo-clock in them, which makes the search much harder.

Have a nice day :)
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. peterhale

peterhale Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Curiously, it seems the end of The Cuckoo has been censored.

In the original version, after the Cuckoo drinks the contents of the stew-pot and follows his "brother" to the exit, his inflated stomach gets wedged in the hole, leaving his bottom sticking out - upon which the words "THE END" appear. This is hardly a new or outrageous gag (wasn't it the end card for Disney's silent Oswald cartoons?) but for some reason the version on YouTube ends with a fade to black as the Cuckoo approaches the hole. The lettering then appears in the same place, but on a black screen.

Can't really see why anyone would bother to do that.