1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

Disney+Fox=?

Discussion in 'Disney / Pixar' started by MrCleveland, Dec 11, 2017.

1. MrCleveland

MrCleveland Key Animator Forum Member New Member

I heard that Disney may buy FOX!

Does this mean that shows that are FOX-owned may have to tone it down? And what would happen to ESPN? Or will it be like the CNN/ABC merger that never happened?
  2. Glowworm

Glowworm Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

I'm more curious if that finally means that a bunch of movies that used to be mistaken for Disney ones such as Anastasia and Fern Gully will finally be considered Disney.
  3. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Hmm, Don Bluth's studio in Ireland got torpedoed by Rock-A-Doodle, so while Bluth directed Anastasia, it was made under the 20th Century Fox aegis. That one would transfer to Disney as a house asset. Ferngully, however, only got distributorship through Fox Corporation; its production is by Fai Films, so Fox really doesn't have title to it. I'm not sure where Ferngully will end up. Disney's fine, so's Warner Brothers. If it continues under its current helm, though, Ferngully might end up a vestigial property, only seen when a broadcaster is willing to pay an exhibition license fee. And pray it never ends up under Viacom; they hold on to their productions so tightly that they might as well toss 'em in a fire.

I'm not sure Disney needs more channels / outlets right now. They already dominate the broadcast arena. This would be a mostly hostile take-over, sundering the studios and their management, leaving only production staff and in-the-can films intact. If Disney ever merges with Microsoft, then we'll have a real Galactic Empire. Oh, and a handy link: All Animation Is Disney.
  4. MrCleveland

I'm afraid Disney may buy The Beatles songs!
  5. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Intern Forum Member New Member

I don't think that's happening.

As for FernGully, much as I would love for it to stay with Fox, Oneuglybunny was not far off the mark. After doing some reading, it seems McGrath Nicol has expressed interest in selling all ownership to the 2 films and the FAI since 2012:

Cartoon crisis as Australian animated film companies are liquidated - SmartCompany

As for the deal, I'm mixed about it, but mostly excited. On one hand, it means Fox and Star Wars together again and endless possibilities. However, this means layoffs and less competition in Hollywood.
  6. Bill Lewis

Bill Lewis Animator Forum Member New Member

Most of my comicbook reading friends see this as a chance to merge the Marvel properties controlled by FOX (X-Men, Fantastic Four) with the rest of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.But I, as well as others here, am somewhat concerned about yet more characters owned by the House of Mouse.
  7. MrCleveland

My question is...who owns Garfield? I hear the TV specials and series was once owned by FOX...are they now Disney?
  8. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Creator Jim Davis is still alive, and holds all rights and title to Garfield, Odie, Jon Arbuckle and the entire Garfield Universe. Garfield And Friends, while produced by Fox through an outsourced animation studio, is still a Jim Davis property. Fox can't do anything with it unless Davis gives the go-ahead. Even if this series transfers to Disney under the acquisition, Disney would have to secure all new licensing and broadcast rights from Jim Davis, LLC. Tall order, considering Davis has trademarked Garfield. Just like the Walt Disney Company, Davis knows the best way to put legal landmines around your characters is to trademark them.
  9. MrCleveland

Okay then...so Garfield is owned by PAWS Inc. and would only be distributed to Disney if Jim Davis gives them the green light...
  10. Nailwraps

I don't think Fox owns Garfield and Friends, in fact they never did and this article proves it:

Kidscreen » Archive » 9 Story acquires global rights to Garfield toon

With that, we have 2 updates on the acquisition. Rumor has it, Comcast is throwing their hat back in the ring:

Disney's Acquisition Of Fox May Not Be A Done Deal - A New Report Indicates That Comcast May Top Their Bid

Then, Disney Television Animation News reported tonight an update on the deal from Bob Iger himself:

"Disney CEO Bob Iger Provides Update On Fox Acquisition
    Disney and 21st Century Fox made waves last year with their landmark deal, and now Disney’s CEO has given fans an update.
    Disney CEO Bob Iger spoke to investors on the Quarter 1 earnings call, where he addressed the acquisition of 20th Century Fox (among other properties), how the deal is progressing, and what the next steps are.“Thanks, Low, and good afternoon, everyone,” Iger said. “Before we discuss the quarter and other developments across the company, a quick update about our recently announced acquisition. The regulatory process has begun in numerous jurisdictions across the world. And I spent the last several weeks meeting with a number of business leaders at Fox, gaining insight that will be invaluable when it comes to integrating our organizations once we have regulatory approval."Those regulatory processes that Iger is referring to could allow other companies to place a bid on the assets from 21st Century Fox, with the most recent rumor indicated Comcast might want to get into the mix.After that hurdle is cleared, Iger is excited not only about the new content but the teams and talent that are coming with those projects and IP."After these discussions, I’m even more enthusiastic about the businesses we’re acquiring and the management teams that are leading them. As we said, when we announced this deal, there are three primary strategic priorities fulfilled by this acquisition. It will deliver more content and the production capabilities and talent to produce even more. It will enhance our direct-to-consumer initiatives with platforms, technologies, brands and existing customer relationships to build on. And it will greatly diversify our businesses geographically. All three of these elements sync up perfectly with our own core strategies, and all three are designed to create growth in a very dynamic global marketplace.”"
  11. MrCleveland

I only asked about Garfield since the DVDs and Garfield movies were distributed by FOX...and distributed under something isn't the same as being owned...correct?

Plus...I'm sure that soon by 2020...there'll be only three US studios...

Disney...which will have FOX and maybe Universal.
    Sony...which may buy Viacom.
    Warner...which is big by itself thanks to Ted Turner.
  12. Nailwraps

Yes, distribution and ownership are 2 different things. However, Fox owns the live-action/CGI hybrid movies
  13. MrCleveland

I think that's where it confused me...okay then...
  14. MrCleveland

FOX is now owned by Disney!

But now...there's layoffs! :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop: