1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

CBS Storybreak Series

Discussion in 'Hanna-Barbera' started by Chen Elrom, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Chen Elrom

Chen Elrom Newbie New Member

I can't understand why after so many years since the series ran the company is still not interested in releasing the entire series.

As far as I know only 13 episodes can be found here and there on the web.
  2. RascalsFan84

RascalsFan84 Inbetweener Forum Member New Member

I remember CBS Storybreak back in the 80s. It seemed to be CBS's clone of the ABC Weekend Special, as both those series focused on stories. But it turned out that ABC's version was the most original series, and it seems as if any clone of ABC's show on another network is going to bomb and enjoy a very short life on the air. Like with many series, nothing beats the original. ABC's original version had the much longer run, and it seems as if that was the only Saturday morning series from the 1970s that remained on the air continuously through the late 1980s, despite having learned that ABC was the lowest-rated network from around 1984 until the launch of Who Wants to be a Millionaire? in 1999 (the latter show was what caused ABC to regain me as a viewer, even for just three years).
  3. artytoons

artytoons Administrator I SUPPORT BCDB! Forum Member New Member

All of the CBS Storybreak animation was done by Hanna-Barbera Australia Pty. /Southern Star Productions (Executive Producer Buzz Potemkin). I do notice that the Canadian DVD company "VEI" released the "Drak Pack" and "Dinky Dog" series which were both animated by Hanna-Barbera Australia which had US voice actors and some production staff (Hoyt Curtin music and post-production work) and were not released by Time-Warner which released the bulk of the Hanna-Barbera series on DVD which was animated in the US. "The All New Popeye Hour" (which originally included the "Dinky Dog" segments) was also animated by Hanna-Barbera Australia but owned by King Features Syndicate and some of the cartoons from that series were released through a different DVD distributor.

I'm not sure if Hanna-Barbera Pty. Australia/Southern Star has a different contract for their series for home DVD releases than H-B's US studios' shows through Time-Warner Home Video but it seems like it.

It is also possible the authors of the books that were adapted to the episodes in the CBS Storybreak series require royalty payments or if the CBS Network has a say for the broadcast/home video rights since the network name is in the series title. Lots of contract stuff to sort out.
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. wiley207

wiley207 Intern Forum Member New Member

Southern Star owns the rights to "Dinky Dog" and "Drac Pack," IIRC.
    I also recall the later "CBS Storybreak" episodes, such as "Ratha's Creature," were made by Southern Star but produced AFTER they became an independent company from Hanna-Barbera. It ended with their infamous "thunder and lightning" logo that was modified to remove references to Hanna-Barbera:
    [​IMG]

Southern Star's animation company was also known for the original "The Berenstain Bears" animated series (though when the show was rerun in the 2000s, DiC removed all Southern Star/H-B logos and references), "Teen Wolf," "Peter Pan and the Pirates," the "Mad Scientist" cartoon co-produced with Mattel, and most famously "Cartoon All-Stars to the Rescue" (though by that time, they had the animation done in Taiwan by Wang Film Productions and had retired the "lightning" logo.)
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Thinice

Thinice Intern Forum Member New Member

I have one CBS Storybreak on VHS, volume one How to Eat Fried Worms. It was released by Playhouse Video. A division of CBS/Fox Video. The title is Video Storybreak-The Children's choice. Same show that aired on CBS.

Could CBS and Fox own mutual rights thus hindering any future rereleases?
  6. artytoons

artytoons Administrator I SUPPORT BCDB! Forum Member New Member

I believe Viacom now owns the CBS network and programming properties as well as Paramount Pictures.

Lots of contract hassles and legal stuff to sort out, most likely.
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Chen Elrom

Chen Elrom Newbie New Member

Surely the legal part of this business is complicated, which means that we will never be able to figure it out.

The only way we may be able to do something that might bring some change is to organize ourselves and create a kind of a public movement that will put some pressure on them.

If any of you has a better idea please let us know.
  8. Thinice

Thinice Intern Forum Member New Member

It would be nice if something could be accomplished soon. From my experiences with my own kids, these shows might still be popular with younger generations. Although, with technology finding it way into younger hands that might be wishful thinking. I have hoped for years for Saturday Supercade to have a release dvd. My kids enjoyed the Pac-Man cartoon when it was on Cartoon Networks Boomerang. Which was years ago, They have no interest now in watching those old programs.

What I am trying to say is, one day the audience that enjoys these shows will no longer be around. If that happens, will the compilation discs even be worth releasing? Will there come a time when anyone will care if the come out as a set?

Whoever has the rights, please release these cartoons soon! Your viewing market is getting older not younger.
    • Like Like x 1