1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

A hidden gag I never noticed before

Discussion in 'Warner Bros.' started by saltyboot, Nov 5, 2013.

1. saltyboot

saltyboot A Moderating Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

*** I wanted to move this post from the old forum to here. It's from 2008.***

I just thought this was interesting. The red book reads, Invisible Man: A Biography of Robert Clampett. I think it's "Invisible" but the "I" has a slight curve at the bottom and I wonder if it's suppose to be "unvisible." [​IMG] I just happened to notice this and thought I'd share.

[​IMG]
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. saltyboot

**I'll just post this ones I did.**

These two are from Have You Got Any Castles. The middle book reads, "In collaboration with Ted Pierce." Spelled with one D.

[​IMG]

The memo says "Ask the boss for a raise" (hehe, I wonder if they did). and I wonder if the "AB" and "AW" on the book are initials? like Arthur Q. Bryan?

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. saltyboot

I found a couple of others from Speaking Of The Weather. (1937)

[​IMG]

The white box contains the names:

Melvin Millar (writer)
    I. Freleng (director)
    Volney White (animator for this toon)
    R. Wolfe (?)

Does anybody know who the last one is?
    (I found it. The R stands for Ralph. Ralph Wolfe worked in the animation studio in the 1930's. Tee Hee made caricatures of most of the animation staff and front office in 1936 for a Christmas card. Ralph is listed in the drawing but there is no indication of his job position.)
  4. saltyboot

Here is the second one.

[​IMG]

I love the last sentence. "He produces his devastating giggle by tickling himself with a feather duster worn strapped to the sole of his left foot."

[​IMG]
  5. saltyboot

I remember that one too. Good observation. That reminds me of a newspaper shown in Tortoise Wins By A Hare (1943). Note the future predicting headline at the bottom right. "Adolph Hitler Commits Suicide."

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  6. saltyboot

Here's one from Wholly Smoke. Looks like they used Henry Binder's last name.

[​IMG]
  7. saltyboot

Now that I have the LTGC Vol. 6, I thought I'd start adding hidden gags as I find them in this volume. Here's one from Chow Hound in the newspaper ads. They use Termite Terrace, K. Harris and C.M. Jones. I like the bottom of the last picture, "Lost: Umbrella- Green Silk: No questions asked."

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  8. saltyboot

On the commentary of A Cartoonist's Nightmare, it was noted that Bob Clampett was shown amongst the other animators leaving the studio.

[​IMG]
  9. saltyboot

**This one is from zavkram**

I had originally posted this over in the Official LTGC6 Talkback Thread, but since it involves a hidden gag I figured I mention it here:
    [​IMG]
    In this scene from I Like Mountain Music, on the back cover of the "Monday Morning Post", there is a parody of an ad for Texaco gasoline which has a caricature of radio and film comedian, Ed Wynn. I could just barely make out the advertising copy but it goes something like this:

"...Every day more motorists are ending it all, quickly and painlessly, by touching match to a fresh tankful of QUICK-EXPLODING VEXICO... Try a tankful today; not a vex in a carload."

"ED VINN says- ...he filled up with VEXICO BIG CHIEF GASOLINE, and rode happily ever after... ON A HORSE!" [​IMG]

"VEXICO BIG CHIEF GASOLINE: developed for fire engines, not wheel barrows
  10. saltyboot

While watching the marathon today on CN, I saw Baseball Bugs and got me wondering about some billboards on the cartoon. Here is a picture right before Bugs is shown for the first time in the short.

[​IMG]
  11. saltyboot

**From zavkram:** I don't have a screen-cap of this; but among the various reading materials strewn about near Papa Bear's bed, in the opening scene of A Bear For Punishment, is a copy of the "Kinsey Report".

**From me**
    Ah yes. I've read about that one on another forum.

[​IMG]
  12. saltyboot

**From PatrickRsGhost:**

Someone had mentioned "The Kinsey Report" in "A Bear For Punishment". I recently downloaded a new media player to play all mp4 files, since Quicktime wasn't being so quick about it. One thing the new player lets me do is take snapshots of the video. While viewing ABFP, I noticed some of the comic books in Junyer's collection seemed awfully familiar: In this first one, look in the lower right corner If you can't see the details too well, it's supposed to be a Looney Tunes comic book with Bugs Bunny on the cover.

[​IMG] In this next one, look right in front of the skate. It's a Porky Pig comic book.

[​IMG] In this last one, look at the green comic book closest to the viewer, to the right of Junyer's bed. Looks like a Daffy Detective comic book, probably in relation to the Bob Clampett cartoon The Great Piggy Bank Robbery, with Daffy as "Duck Twacy", or else from "Deduce, You Say" with Daffy as Dorlock Homes.

[​IMG]