1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

A Whale Of A Cartoon And A Magical Mystery Tor.

Discussion in 'Hanna-Barbera' started by emeraldisle, Apr 5, 2014.

1. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Hanna-Barbera produced another great animated series, "Moby Dick And Mighty Mightor." What have I to say about these cartoons? Plenty.

"Moby Dick." Herman Melville's white whale is now the protector of brothers Tom and Tub and their seal Scooby. Yes, that name was used two years before you-know-who. The big cetacean fought undersea villains, and I liked seeing him portrayed this way. And no, I never read the original book. Maybe I should, since I have my own copy.

Although no one else said it, I consider the relationship between Moby and the boys to be similar to the one between Bud, Sandy, and Flipper. Anyone who's seen the live action show will probably agree.

And I had no trouble telling the boys apart. I knew right off Tub was the chubby one. The back story was most interesting as well. My favorite episodes were....all eighteen of them.

"Mighty Mightor." A truly original idea if ever there was one. Tor and Tog save a hermit, get a club, and become prehistoric superheroes. The odd part was that everyone knew Tog was Tog even in dragon mode, but no one ever caught on that Tor and Mightor were the same guy. Then again, Mightor and Tor were voiced by different actors, and looked nothing alike. As with Moby, I liked all the episodes.

But occasionally, I noticed the show would go over the line in terms of violence. Mightor would use his club for assaults, one tribe used a log with spikes on it, and in one episode, Sheera's mammoth calf Bollo ran with an arrow in his back. When I saw that poor animal abused, I thought, "Too bad PETA didn't exist back then."

And then there were Little Rok and Ork the dodo bird. What were they for? To play Mightor and get themselves in heaps of trouble. Mightor clearly hated rescuing them all the time, it seemed to me. I remember in one episode, when they were threatened by dangerous animals, Mightor said, in a rather stressed-out tone, "Don't tell me he's in trouble again!" See, even being a superhero is a stressful job. As for Sheera, she should have been nicer to Tor instead of rejecting his love for her. After all, he was quite handsome.

There were even some scary moments. In "Tribe Of The Witchmen," Sheera was captured by these people to become the bride of a giant prehistoric mummy! The sight of him was enough to give any little kid nightmares. Still, others like "The Mightiest Warrior" and "Rok And The Golden Rok" were a tad humorous. And best of all, I cheered when Sheera and her fellow tribeswomen beat up Numo, and tossed him overboard. You go, cavegirls! LOL!

So these cartoons I also rate high, for their uniqueness.

Trivia Question 56: What was the source of the Storm King's powers?

Answer: Lightning rocks.
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  2. MattPriceTime

MattPriceTime Intern Forum Member New Member

Mightor and Moby were split to me. While Mightor was often seen wedged between other shows on Cartoon Network and sometimes in his own slot, I had never seen the Moby segments prior to DVD. So i was deprived of seeing them together and that awesome opening theme song. (and the other weirder one with narration...)

Mighty Mightor is a good super hero show. While the secret identidy thing confuses me a bit with how Tog just gets to breath fire, looks the same and has the same name, yet no one puts the rest together. I guess Mightor and Super Man just have that effect. The Mightor cartoons are full of lots of physical stuff as mentioned above. I do get a kick of how Mightor just manhandles some giant dinosaurs. Geez was he strong.

The original disappointment of Mightor came by way of Lil Rock who i think was weighly heavily on me as my least favorite Hanna Barbera character, but i admit he warmed on me. Mightor's complains about rescuing him really helped that though. Paul Stewart's booming voice with "oh no not Lil Rock again" (or something like that) just had me rolling. Stewart's voice in this show was also a major reason to like Mightor.

Moby Dick is again a nice little segment. Clearly again we see that this Moby is not our literature Moby, but then most Moby Dick media starts off on the wrong foot by mistaking Moby as all white, he just has a white hump originally. But this Moby is also pretty nice and helpful, so clearly Moby Dick must be to whales what Joe and Harry are to people. And besides adaption is all part of the fun (we'd be here all day complaining about Disney if that was a problem in the system)

So anyway Moby and gang's adventures in an underwater world are pretty cool. I really like some of the monster and villain designs. Scooby the seal is also a fun side character. I suppose i like seals but i enjoy when Scooby gets to help. I think this show seals itself as a fun little super hero boast. Super strong guy fighting lots of dinos and cave men plus a big whale under the sea, those are two sweet ideas that bring a half hour of fun with each helping.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. artytoons

artytoons Administrator I SUPPORT BCDB! Forum Member New Member

It would be amusing to think that "Captain Caveman" might been a parody of "The Mighty Mightor" crossed with "The Flintstones" with the superhero genre, the powerful wooden club, and the prehistoric caveman setting crashed into one series concept.

Little Rok was voiced by Norma McMillan who played the voice of Sweet Polly Purebred in the "Underdog" cartoons. She was the mother of Alison Arnigrim who played Nellie Olson in "Little House on the Prairie" and Stefan Arnigrim who played Barry Lockridge in "Land of the Giants".
  4. Bill Lewis

Bill Lewis Animator Forum Member New Member

Loved this show,well, most of it, anyway.Usually, I'd change the channel when the Moby cartoon came on,while ''Birdman'' was showing the Galaxy Trio.And I too LOVED the opening theme,which, in my mind at that time ,seemed too good for a mere cartoon show(strange how my mind worked back then). One thing I remember about ''Roc and the Golden Rock'' was the villain being voiced by Thurl Ravenscroft, better known as Tony the Tiger.