1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

Bears Against The System.

Discussion in 'Hanna-Barbera' started by emeraldisle, Apr 26, 2014.

1. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Did I like "Help! It's The Hair Bear Bunch?" Do bears have cubs?

This series did repeat the old animals vs. humans theme that I'd seen many times before. But there were things that set it apart, like the bears' fashion sense, and Square Bear's use of an invisible motorcycle. Plus, the trio had the whole zoo on their side. And at first, Hair Bear's afro led me to believe he was female, until he spoke. However, he did play Mama Bear in the episode "Goldilocks And The Three Bears," as no she-bears were available.

I also liked the fact that at times, Peevley, despite Botch's bumbling, was able to outsmart the bears . For instance, in one episode, when Hair Bear reminded him about a promise by saying, "But you said we could sleep here," he replied, "I didn't say you could sleep here. I said you could sweep here," and handed them brooms. I invariably burst out laughing. What can I say, but that 1971 was a very good year for Hanna-Barbera.
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Pokey J.Anti-Blockhead

Pokey J.Anti-Blockhead Intern Forum Member New Member

With John Stephenson as Joe Flynn for the aptly named (!) Mr.Peevely, Joe E.Ross as, well, Oo-oo!, Joe E.Ross, as Botch, and as the bears themselves,
    Daws Butler as Jack Oakie (think between Phil Silvers and Art Carney, which Butler had respectively done for Hokey Wolf and the most famous HB bear of all, Yogi) or Hair Bear himself, Bill Callaway doing a voice straight out of the Mel Blanc bag for Square Bear, and Paul Winchell doing that weird regular/nonsense dialect for Bubi (how many thought it was spelt Booby....?:)) Hal Smith, Janet Waldo, Len Weinrib, Vic Perrin, Joanie Gerber, all familiar names, and also ONE that escapes me COMPLETELY, Jeannine Brown(?), are the seven other credited voice actors. Very catchy theme song..
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. artytoons

artytoons Administrator I SUPPORT BCDB! Forum Member New Member

Hal Erickson wrote in his book "Television Cartoon Shows" that Joe Barbera wasn't too pleased during rehearsals with John Stephenson's performance as Peevely as a Joe Flynn imitation. When Stephenson asked why wasn't the real Joe Flynn cast for the role, Barbera replied..."we did audition him...and he didn't sound right."

Got to love the invisible motorcycle that the Hair Bear Bunch rode.
  4. MattPriceTime

MattPriceTime Intern Forum Member New Member

Help Help! Just kidding love those bears. The Hair Bear Bunch for me were usually in the weekday morning slots (cira 1-3am) and i also recall them getting Super chunks. But i don't really think i managed to see all the episodes in youth even if they weren't all that many.This show is just so many shades of odd and fun it's endearing. That being said this is one of the show's that is a dandy to explain to someone who's never seen it. "Yeah it's got three 70s bears in a zoo that have an invisible motorcyle, oh and one has a giant afro..." oh my the looks you do see XD

That being said the trio are pretty fun and likable characters. I dig their shenanigans.The chance to see them all is fun. However just an observation i feel like this one is a odd one in terms of getting people to know about. While run of mill people have decent memories of HB's bigger efforts and those who are a bit more devoted, it seems to me the Hair Bears are often one's neglected from memory amongst the mid level HB shows. No idea why really. Since it also seems to happen with people my age. That being said i know people who know plenty of HB shows that had similar time slots to Hair Bears in the 90s, yet i guess a lot more people forgot these three for whatever reason. I hope the dvd helps them in the new kids that will see them. Since i feel like the Hair Bears are worthy of being further up the totem pole of HB cartoons.

Also as a last note, that theme is amazing!
    • Like Like x 1
  5. emeraldisle

Trivia Question 70: What were the first names of Peevley and Botch?
  6. Bobby Bickert

Bobby Bickert Inbetweener Forum Member New Member

I had a Hair Bear Bunch lunchbox when I was in the first grade (1973-74).
  7. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Aha, good ol' proper research: John Stephenson supplied the voice of zookeeper Eustace P Peevely, called by name in "Bridal Boo Hoo" and in "Gobs of Gabaloons." Joe Ross supplied the voice of bumbling assistant Lionel J Botch. :D
  8. emeraldisle

Yes, you got it right, OUB. Great job. :)
    • Friendly Friendly x 1