1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

Bob Hoskins Is Gone.

Discussion in 'Cartoon News' started by emeraldisle, Apr 30, 2014.

1. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Bob Hoskins, perhaps best known as detective Eddie Valiant in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit," has died at age 71.

Eddie was the live action comic foil to the animated Roger. He grudgingly helped the bunny clear his name when he was framed for murder. Along the way, he revealed that a toon killed his brother. Eventually, he confronted his adversary, who turned out to be the local judge.

RIP, Mr. Hoskins. You will be missed. :(
  2. saltyboot

saltyboot A Moderating Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Hoskins died in the hospital where he was being treated for pneumonia.

R.I.P. Mr. Hoskins.
  3. artytoons

artytoons Administrator I SUPPORT BCDB! Forum Member New Member

Other Bob Hoskins film credits included "Hollywoodland" as movie executive Eddie Mannix who may or may not be responsible for the death of TV Superman George Reeves, "Nixon" as J. Edgar Hoover, "Super Mario Brothers" as a live action video game adventurer Mario, "Heart Condition" as a hard living Los Angeles cop and heart recipient haunted by the ghost of his former attorney nemesis and the donor of the heart Denzel Washington, and "The Long Good Friday" as a British mobster.
  4. peterhale

peterhale Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Bob Hoskins was born in 1942 in Suffolk, where his mother had been evacuated because of the bombing, but he grew up in North London. He was an only child; his father was a lorry driver and bookkeeeper and his mother was a nursery school teacher and school cook.

He left school at 15, and after giving up on an accountancy course took a succession of odd jobs - bouncer, window-cleaner, market porter, fire-eater, merchant seaman and banana-picker on a kibbutz.

Although his English teacher had inspired in him a love of language, literature and drama, and he was a keen theatre-goer, Hoskins' entry into the acting profession came about by chance. In his mid twenties he accompanied a friend to an audition, above a pub, for the the Unity Theatre, a semi-professional company with a history of radical working-class political drama. Although only there to watch, Hoskins found himself being handed a script and told "You're on next!" He read for the part - too inebriated to argue, he explained later, “so I got on stage and acted my socks off!” - and was offered a leading role in the play The Feather Pluckers, about three British black youths and their conflict with society. On the first night he was signed up by an agent, and he never looked back!

More theatre work followed, as well as bit parts on TV. I remember seeing him in a series of Adult Literacy programmes that the BBC ran in the late 70s. (See one here ).

In 1978 he appeared as frustrated sheet music salesman Arthur Parker in the BBC serial Pennies from Heaven, written by Dennis Potter (made into a film in 1981, starring Steve Martin - MGM did not consider using any of the original English cast). The highly acclaimed series made Hoskins a household name in the UK, and in 1980 he featured in the British gangster film The Long Good Friday. The movie was a big hit in the US, but Hoskins was dismayed to find that his dialogue had been redubbed for American audiences into a sort of stage Cockney. “They thought the Yanks wouldn’t be able to understand me. In the film I end up sounding like Dick Van Dyke.”

Hoskins went on to appear in such Hollywood films as The Cotton Club (1984) and Sweet Liberty (1986) before starring in Who Framed Roger Rabbit? (1988). He played Smee to Dustin Hoffman's pirate captain in Hook (1991).

He wrote and directed his own film The Raggedy Rawney (1988), an "ambitious failure" that had only a limited distribution.

He won an International Emmy for his performance as a publican standing up to thugs in the BBC series The Street (2009) written by Jimmy McGovern. His last movie appearance was as the face of Muir, the blind elder Dwarf in Snow White and the Huntsman (2012). Diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease, he announced his retirement the same year.

He married his first wife, Jane Livesey, in 1970 and they had two children, Alex and Sarah. The marriage broke down in 1978, and in 1982 he married Linda Banwell, and had two more children, Rosa and Jack.
  5. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Indeed a versatile actor was Bob Hoskins. I remember him as the obstinate technician Spoor in the John Cleese vehicle Brazil. When last seen in that film, his hazmat suit was filling with sewage instead of fresh air, thanks to renegade Tuttle's switching the two conduits on him. If ever a live action film could invoke cartoon tropes, Brazil is it.

Thank you, Eddie Valiant. The world is once more safe for funniness.
  6. MrCleveland

MrCleveland Key Animator Forum Member New Member

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Aaron Handy III

Aaron Handy III Apprentice Forum Member New Member

:bigtears::grumpy::(:sorry:[rip]

Attached Files: