1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

Comical Animal Heroes, Part One: Up And At 'Em!

Discussion in 'Hanna-Barbera' started by emeraldisle, Mar 8, 2014.

1. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

According to an old superstition, stepping on an ant brings rain.

But, I and everyone else who's seen Atom Ant, knows that stepping on him brings bumps, bruises, and white flags. He is, after all, a superhero, and a most convincing one. He'd go after villains big and small, including other ants, and his rival Ferocious Flea. Sometimes, the bad guys would take advantage of his weaknesses for picnics and sugar.

So when did I see this amazing insect? The answer will probably surprise you. Not until the early '70's, when he joined the cast of "Yogi's Gang." What about the original show? I didn't see that until the first quarter of 1978, when it was part of "The Banana Splits And Friends" syndicated package, by which time I was a sophomore in high school. Why such a late start? Well, prior to 1967, I watched little if any TV, so there was a lot I missed out on. At least I was able to make up for lost time, and say I was very taken with the little guy, even seeing the reruns on Cartoon Network.

Now for the other components:

"Precious Pupp." He was memorable for his deceptive ways. But he wasn't the first snickering dog voiced by Don Messick. That "honor" goes to Mugger, the vicious circus dog from "Hey There, It's Yogi Bear," a year earlier. But Precious was good enough for me. His owner Granny Sweet never caught on to his mischief, except for the episode "Pup, Skip, Jump," in which she took in a homeless puppy, caught Precious bullying him, and scolded him for it! I thought, "Ah, she finally knows the truth." But in all other episodes, she remained oblivious.

What I liked about Granny was that, she, like many of today's senior citizens, opted for an active lifestyle instead of hanging out in a rocking chair and knitting. She rode a motorcycle, bowled, and even entered a skiing contest. When she hit the slopes, she revealed she was 71, or as she put it, 21 + 50.

"The Hillbilly Bears." Amusing indeed. Paw Rugg was lazy enough for Maw Rugg to prod into action. The recurring theme was their ongoing feud with the Clodhoppers, complicated by the fact that daughter Floral Rugg was in love with one of the Clodhoppers' sons, and vice versa. But the funniest episodes were those that had Paw Rugg contending with wildlife, be it a catfish, gopher, raccoon, or woodpecker.

So "The Atom Ant Show" is another one I thoroughly enjoyed, despite putting it off for 13 years. Up And At 'Em, Atom Ant! I say!

Trivia Question 31: In his first episode, Atom Ant pursued a criminal named for what legendary singer?

Answer: Big Fats Domino.
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Glowworm

Glowworm Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

I remember a friend at college would constantly mention how ridiculous it seemed to him that when Atom Ant ran out of power, he would simply lift weights to regain it. I could understand that, when one is really tired, they generally don't consider working out at that moment. Yet then again, most people aren't cartoon ants. Again, I haven't seen too much of the little guy, but I did like a short where an oriental ant who knew karate (of course) was pitted against Atom Ant. In the end, the other ant befriends Atom and defeats the crooks who originally sent him to defeat Atom. I also recall one where a sexy female ant was used to seduce Atom while the bad guys attempted to get away with their crime. Atom stopped them at the very end though.

Precious Pupp--reminds me a bit of the Shep from the Warner Brothers short "Fresh Airdale" in the fact that the owner thinks he's such a wonderful dog when he really isn't. However, there was something about Precious that was actually funny, whereupon, I found nothing funny about Shep. Also, Precious wasn't that bad, I mean, he did thwart a robber attempting to rob Granny, and defeated the local dog catcher who was not a very nice man, so I guess there was some good in that dog.

From what I've seen of the Hillbilly Bears--Paw was pretty funny due to his mumbling voice. The first short I ever saw was the one where Paw somehow becomes a rock star--the song he sings is a riot.
  3. artytoons

artytoons Administrator I SUPPORT BCDB! Forum Member New Member

Don Messick and Howard Morris both played Atom Ant in different cartoons. Great idea with tiny Atom Ant battling big-sized bad guys...and one his size in Ferocious Flea.

Precious Pup (Don Messick) was sneaky, snickering, and pummeling his enemies into submission often...but he remained protective of his owner Granny Sweet (Janet Waldo) and smaller helpless animal pals and his enemies were not very nice (burglars, crooks, the mean dog catcher, bullying big dogs and cats) so Precious remained on the sympathetic side. Who needs a canned laugh track when Precious' snickering whenever his enemies' plans to fight back backfire badly can provide a cue to chuckle even better?

Henry Corden was hilarious as mumbling Paw Rugg in "Hillbilly Bears". Jean Vanderpyl was great with a Southern drawl as Maw Rugg who nagged but still stood by her rather lazy husband.

Corden who later replace Alan Reed after Reed's death as Fred Flintstone's voice in the 1970s...playing the husband to Jean Vanderpyl's Wilma...the chemistry is still there in bear skin or fur skin.
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1