1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

Dragons And Rock Apes And Blobs, Oh My!

Discussion in 'Hanna-Barbera' started by emeraldisle, Mar 30, 2014.

1. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

That's probably what Dorothy would have said had the cyclone brought her and Toto to Amzot/Quasar instead of Oz. But all kidding aside, the Herculoids were awesome enough to take my breath away.

Where else but on Amzot could there be Zok with his ability to shoot lasers? Or Igoo with that body of solid rock? Or Tundro and his energy rocks? And of course, Gloop and Gleep with their shapeshifting skills?

These animals never did anything without Zandor, Tara, and Dorno, the rulers of the planet. I remember how Zandor was firmly established as the king in the pilot episode "The Beaked People." Krokar was a talking humanoid parrot, but he and his loyal followers were pretty evil for birds. In fact, some of the aliens were inhabitants of the planet. Some were primitive like the Beaked People and the Raider Apes, while others were technologically advanced. But most of them came from other planets to take over Amzot and destroy the heroes. I thought it was way cool to see Zandor bounce off vines, and for him, Tara, and Dorno to attack with slingshots. Also intriguing was the fact that Zandor knew how to pilot spacecraft, and operate the time machine left there by Oton and the Time Creatures. Even a seemingly simple task like returning a Dorgyte to his neck of the woods was frought with danger. The best episodes of this version included "Sarko The Arkman,"(who was inexplicably called Arko instead), and "Attack From Space." Both of these had the Herculoids going to other planets to defeat their enemies. In the latter, although it was normal for Igoo to be angry when dealing with aliens, I think he overdid it when, after Zandor told him to open the doors quietly, and they slammed closed on his arm. He punched the doors in, causing Zandor to say, "I said, quietly." Igoo, did you ever consider anger management? This was also the only H-B superhero cartoon to show crossdressing. In "Attack Of The Faceless People," Zandor had Gleep disguised as Princess Serena in order to rescue Tara from Darkon. It was done for a serious purpose, but I found it amusing. I also liked "Ruler Of The Reptons" and "Prisoners Of The Bubblemen."

There was a slight gaffe I noticed in the episode "The Pirates." Two of the sky pirates were flying side by side, when their captain ordered them back to the ship. One turned to the other, and said, "Our orders are to return to the ship." Mr. Pirate, I think your buddy heard that.

After the show was cancelled in 1969, I was sure I'd never see the "ghosts" again. That's what I called Gloop and Gleep when I first saw them. But in February 1978, the reruns of the 60's iteration became part of the "Go Go Globetrotters" show on NBC. It was also the time that I saw such episodes as "Island Of The Gravites," "Malak And The Metal Apes," and "The Gladiators Of Kyanite." By then, I was going through hard times in high school, so I can say those Herculoids were able to cheer me up, and make me realize I was strong and could deal with any problem at all. Therefore, I was pleased as punch when later that year, they were included in "Hanna-Barbera's World Of Super Adventure."

Three years later, there were new episodes produced for "Space Stars." For these adventures, Amzot was renamed Quasar. And they, like Space Ghost, interacted with their fellow heroes. The only episode that left me scratching my head was "Endangered Spacies," which had them teamed up with....Astro And The Space Mutts! And in their own episodes, Zandor did things he never did in the '60's. In "The Purple Menace," he actually got angry with Dorno for disobeying him(what father didn't get angry when a son or daughter was disobedient?), and in "The Thunderbolt," he kissed Tara's cheek when she wished him good luck. Both of these iterations were top notch.

Now if you'll excuse me, it's time for breakfast. I'm off to drink coffee from my Herculoids coffee mug.

My concluding words for this thread: Hip hip hooray for the Herculoids! :)
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  2. artytoons

artytoons Administrator I SUPPORT BCDB! Forum Member New Member

Joe Ruby and Ken Spears wrote the "Herculoids" episodes and Alex Toth did the character designs. Ruby and Spears excelled at Hanna-Barbera in writing adventure-based stories for the studio.

Fred Silverman, who was in charge of CBS Daytime Programming in the 1960s, was instrumental in commissioning Hanna-Barbera to create new action series for his Saturday AM schedule, including "Space Ghost", "The Herculoids", and "Scooby Doo." Silverman moved to ABC in the mid 1970s and was instrumental in bringing "Scooby Doo" to that network in all new episodes.

Silverman moved to NBC as their programming chief in the late 1970s and added "Space Ghost" and "Herculoids" reruns to their ailing or animation studio strike-affected Saturday schedules and commissioning new episodes of "Space Ghost" and "Herculoids" for the "Space Stars" show.

Silverman probably loved the concept of shape-changing Gloop and Gleep enough to commission Hanna-Barbera to get the rights of Al Capp's "Shmoo" character from the "L'il Abner" comic strips for a new cartoon series. The cartoon "New Shmoo" changed its shape to assist 3 teenage mystery solvers for one season in 1979 and later was the sidekick to Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble when they were volunteer policemen in "The Bedrock Cops" segment of "The Flintstone Comedy Show".

Al Capp's comic strip Shmoo didn't change its shape but was versatile enough to act as a loving pet who can lay eggs and give milk fresh in cartons, cooking the Shmoo to taste like steak if broiled or chicken if fried, using the eyes and whiskers as shirt buttons and toothpicks, multiplying like rabbits so everyone can own one, and threatening the world's economy in the process.
  3. emeraldisle

Trivia Question 89: Why did Dorno bail on the flying monkeys when they invited the Herculoids to a feast?
  4. emeraldisle

Trivia Answer: He found out that the feast consisted of snails, grubs, and ants. Not very palatable.