1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

Excellent.....Or Just Plain Bogus?

Discussion in 'Hanna-Barbera' started by emeraldisle, Aug 9, 2014.

1. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

By 1990, I began to feel that it was the beginning of the end for Hanna-Barbera. "Bill And Ted's Excellent Adventures," from my perspective, was my first inkling that the studio was going downhill.

The only episode I saw of the H-B version had them looking after a rare bird that was quickly devoured by the owner's cat. They time-travelled to find a replacement. I thought, "If that's the best H-B can do with these boys, then I don't want to see any more." I did, however, see both live action movies.

Apparently, even H-B felt the same way, for a year later, the series moved to DIC, but fared no better. So either way, there was nothing excellent about these adventures.

Trivia Question 7: What baseball legend did the boys meet in one episode?

Answer: Babe Ruth.
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  2. artytoons

artytoons Administrator I SUPPORT BCDB! Forum Member New Member

Orion Pictures owns the rights to "Bill and Ted" and probably switched animation studios to save on the budget.

Keanu Reeves, Alex Winter, and George Carlin from the films played their animated movie character voices as Ted, Bill, and Rufus respectively in the H-B version. The Hanna-Barbera guest voice actor cast for the show numbered over 50 voice actors.

Different voice actors played the roles in the DIC version...Evan Richards as Bill, Christopher Kennedy as Ted, and Rick Overton as Rufus. A smaller voice actor cast from Canada was used.

Selected cartoons were released on DVD with a mix of Hanna-Barbera and DIC episodes.

Hanna-Barbera was sold from Taft Broadcasting to Turner Broadcasting around 1991. Ted Turner had a cartoon block on TBS for a while and had acquired Hanna-Barbera's library to program his TNT network schedule first with ambitious plans for the 24 hour Cartoon Network channel a few years later. I wonder if the pending sale and unknown ownership future for the studio caused its budget and quality in new productions to drop drastically.
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  3. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

The characters Bill and Ted follow the "Those Two Fools" mechanic for comedy, which can work when it's done well. However, such characters tend to need a grounding agent: someone sensible to contrast / compliment / counteract their foolishness. Often, this screwy + sensible mechanism is built-in: Blue Falcon and Dynomutt for one, Don Coyote and Sancho Panda for an inversion, Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck for another. Even Disney Television's Talespin series would pass the Idiot Ball between principal characters Baloo and Rebecca, simply because this mechanism has proven to work so very well. Granted, it stands to reason that since one fool as a principal character is a comedy gold mine, two cuckoos should double the comedy. Unfortunately, comedy isn't algebraic. It has a Physics of Ridiculous all its own, so an Only Sane Man on staff is almost a necessity.

I must compliment Hanna-Barbera on using the original actors to voice these characters. It's likely they also had a say on the scripting as well, though that would be a limited say. And Hanna-Barbera would try their hand at the Two Fools concept with original characters: Two Stupid Dogs. It's difficult for me to pinpoint the fault here: is it that the novelty material was exhausted, or that Hanna-Barbera, even with expert consultants on board, couldn't adequately grasp the mechanics involved? Ultimately, Bill and Ted didn't go far as animated characters. Still, Hanna-Barbera, true to form, gave the concept a fair shot. Good on them. :)
  4. artytoons

artytoons Administrator I SUPPORT BCDB! Forum Member New Member

There is a brilliant anime series built along the same lines with the "clever idiot" premise titled "The Irresponsible Captain Tylor." Tylor is lazy, laid-back, and on the surface who seemed to be a goofball who gets promoted to a captain of a space warship full of undisciplined rebellious misfits. Tylor, in his own inimitable ways, ends up defeating the hostile alien Raalgon enemies, earning the respect of his crew and the enemy Raalgons, and, charming the ladies, including uptight first officer Yuriko Star and even Raalgon Empress Azalyn...just by doing nothing or acting like a fool...or just being himself.

Think of it as a comedy "Starblazers" with "Bill and Ted" in one guy mixed in.
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  5. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Ah, I see. That would be a starring goofball surrounded by competent underlings. A figurehead fool, so to speak. I can't think of a Hanna-Barbera series that used this mechanism, but there is one by DiC Productions: Inspector Gadget. Penny, Brain and the Chief among others can cover for most of Gadget's shortcomings, leaving him one chance to get it right, or so far wrong that it comes out right by insane circumstance. In the case of Captain Tylor, though he commands a crew of "misfits," I'd conjecture the crew are competent enough to deal with shipboard life and with capital ship battles. Their "misfit" status is likely due to not adhering rigidly to military regulations, the way Colonel Kit Coyote does.