1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

From Bikers To Biblical Superheroes.

Discussion in 'Hanna-Barbera' started by emeraldisle, Apr 7, 2014.

1. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

A young girl and a handsome teenage biker boy. Was it Betty and Jimmy from "Leader Of The Pack?" No, it was just me watching "Samson And Goliath" on Saturday mornings.

These heroes I came to regard as among the coolest from Hanna-Barbera. Here I was, looking at a boy and dog who travelled by motorcycle for the most part, and took on villains who would make Delilah and the Philistines run for their lives. But I wonder why Young Samson never wore a helmet and other gear when he and Goliath were on their cycle. Was he that sure of himself? Luckily, there were never any motorcycle accidents. And the motorcycle itself was something else. The heroes were able to ride it up a volcano, rough terrain, and even a Mayan pyramid! Who wouldn't want a motorbike like that? Equally amazing was the use of bright colors for scene changes. And Samson always patted Goliath on the back(when he was in lion mode) after a job well done.

Nonetheless, I enjoyed seeing the show so much that I followed it syndication and even on "USA Cartoon Express" in the 80's. And I even provided episode synopses here and on TV.com. I also described the villains and monsters on Wikipedia.

What I really noticed was that there were never any villainesses. This was probably to avoid the detail about Samson's inability to resist women. There were female characters in "The Curse Of Monatabu," and "The Terrible Dr. Desto," but these ladies just appeared in crowd scenes, and had no dialogue. Also, none of the villains even tried to cut off Samson's hair, the true source of his strength. Guess H-B felt that he wouldn't have been nearly as good-looking had they rendered him bald. But I liked him as he was. And those bracelets were remarkable, the way they turned him into a strong man, and Goliath into a lion. In fact, the villains were often able to prevent him from using them by either stealing them and replacing them with leaden ones, or binding or chaining him hand and foot. One mad scientist even drained his strength just to transfer it to a robot. And his real weakness, as shown in two episodes, was that any rapid whirling motion could knock him unconscious.

But the best part was when he used Super Samson power to make himself and/or Goliath even stronger. There were also several powers that were used only once, like the Ring Of Samson, and the Samson Pinwheel.

Their adventures took them to every corner of the globe, under the sea, and even into outer space. I admit I saw these cartoons before I read the original biblical tale, and thought, "Wow!" after reading it. I've concluded that the duo's escapes before structures collapsed or blew up were inspired by Samson's destruction of the temple. Remember, he had no time to get away before it collapsed. Samson was also known to deliver wisecracks when confronting the villains.

The bumpers were memorable, too, especially the one that showed him saving the Space Kidettes. It was this show that was often shown back to back with it after it was cancelled. Due to ownership by DFS and The Program Exchange, cartoons from Total Television were also shown.

Once again, I've said a heck of a lot about an H-B cartoon. If you're wondering how I found the time to write all this, I'm on vacation now, and able to fit in a lot more. Expect more as the days go by.

Trivia Question 62: What breed of dog was Goliath?
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. MattPriceTime

MattPriceTime Intern Forum Member New Member

I never saw Young Samson in youth. Maybe it was on the schedule somewhere but i never saw it. So my expierence comes all from DVD. And what a show! Let me just preface by saying this is another one i have the hardest time convincing people existed. I seem to lose them when i say the dog turns into a giant lion.....that shoots lasers from his eyes. Hmmmm I wonder why. XD

But seriously Samson is a simple show but one that really has a lot of fun seeing Samson and Goliath stopping their bad guys. Which are a pretty good diverse group across all of his episodes. A bunch of time he took on cool giant monsters, which were all pretty fun. And oh how i wished i had those bracelets. But even before there was such a thing as "scooby luck" Samson and Goliath had it too, those two can't go on any vacation without running into some kind of villain. Good thing they have such a good track record though.

Young Samson is a good example of what i want out of a fun super hero show. Good hero, good bad guys, lots of ways to mix up the formula so that you keep wanting more. I admit i was a little sad when i finished the show's entire run.
  3. artytoons

artytoons Administrator I SUPPORT BCDB! Forum Member New Member

The "Young Samson" cartoons were shown along with the "Space Kiddettes" cartoons under the "Space Kiddettes" half hour series title.

One of the few Hanna-Barbera shows not owned by Warner Brothers for tv syndication release. DFS (Dancer Fitzgerald Sample)/The Program Exchange owns the "Space Kiddettes"/"Young Samson" series broadcast rights which also syndicated the Bullwinkle, Dudley Do-Right, Uncle Waldo, Underdog, and Tennesse Tuxedo shows in reruns and the 1980s DIC "Dennis the Menace" cartoons for first-run syndication then. Warner Home Entertainment did release a "Young Samson/Space Kiddettes" dvd set on sale on Amazon.

Tim Matthieson, a Hanna Barbera veteran having played "Jonny Quest" and Jace in the 1960s "Space Ghost" cartoons, played Samson. He changed his last name to "Matheson" and played various adult acting roles, including Otter in "National Lampoon's Animal House".
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Trivia Answer: Goliath was an Airedale, though in the episode "The Great Colossus," Samson said he was also part water spaniel.