1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

Happy Easter.

Discussion in 'Other / Multiple Studios' started by emeraldisle, Mar 31, 2015.

1. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Never mind all the animated specials about the Easter Bunny, and even the Easter Beagle. For this thread, I share my thoughts about the Davey And Goliath special, "Happy Easter."

I saw this one sometime in the mid-70's during Easter Weekend. It started out on a high note, with Davey visiting his Grandma, who was clearly a widow. If Grandpa was dead, that fact was never mentioned. I loved it when they sang along with a recording of "Camptown Races," and she sewed a "J" on his Jickets sweatshirt, and even baked a cake with the words "Happy Easter" on it. It seemed as if all would be well.

When Davey and the Jickets walked to Davey's house on Holy Thursday, I cheered when Davey and his fellow Jickets sang a song about beating the Squeegees(to the tune of "For He's A Jolly Good Fellow") at Saturday's game, for which Grandma had promised to show up to cheer the team on. Davey even had the presence of mind to remind the other boys about Good Friday, and I liked that.

But when he entered the house, and his dad informed him that Grandma was dead, I began to cry. This tragedy came with no advance warning, just like the death of my brother nearly three months ago. Davey was unwilling to accept it. I think the funeral was held either on Good Friday, or very early on Saturday, just before the game. Either way, Davey had Grandma on his mind, and his inability to focus made it possible for the rival team to beat the Jickets. Yes, he was at fault, but considering that he'd just lost a loved one, I can't blame him. And in my opinion, his team mates should have been compassionate, instead of reprimanding him.

But the best part was the ending, when his dad took him to see a play that er-enacted the Crucifixion and the Resurrection, and explained the true meaning of Easter. Davey was finally able to let go, and lay Grandma to rest. Best of all, the Easter Bunny, Easter eggs, and other goodies weren't mentioned even for a minute. Not that I have anything against them, mind you.

So, for showing the religious significance of Easter, I rate this special a 10, despite the tragic plot elements.
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1