1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

I Was Sold On A Gorilla.

Discussion in 'Hanna-Barbera' started by emeraldisle, Feb 22, 2014.

1. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

And now, my fellow Hanna-Barbera fans, I present my thoughts about "The Magilla Gorilla Show."

There was Magilla, just hanging out in the front window of Peebles' Pet Shop, waiting for someone to buy him. Mr. Peebles wanted to be rid of the simian burden he considered Magilla to be, but I was observant enough to see that beneath the surface, he was concerned for the ape's well-being. Like when he saw him on his way to the moon on TV. He was convinced Magilla would never return, and was visibly upset. Upon his return, he admitted he was glad to have him back.

The opening theme I heard on an Internet radio station had Magilla mentioning the show's sponsor, Ideal Toys. But the opening I remember when I saw the show on WPIX in New York had him showing himself, Mr. Peebles, and the other characters on a TV set. Then the other animals would gather outside the store, along with Ogee, and they'd all walk into the store, and the door would close.

Ah, Ogee, that adorable little moppet who wanted to buy Magilla. I consider the episodes she was in the best of the batch. She'd beg her parents to let her buy him, but they invariably refused. Perhaps they were aware that selling exotic animals was illegal. When she decided to take a cab to Hollywood to become a child star, I thought she had a long ride ahead--until I found out the shorts took place in L. A. So she was closer to Hollywood than I thought.

Magilla was able to get out constantly, however, and did practically everything from becoming a mad scientist's guinea pig to being abducted by aliens. And of course, inadvertently joining the local teenagers in Surf City, and becoming a pro at hanging ten.

So Magilla is definitely one of the great ones. Now for the rest of the story:

Punkin Puss And Mush Mouse. Tom and Jerry in hillbilly mode? Sure, but it clicked. I enjoyed how Mush Mouse would call on a relative or some other ally to deal with Punkin. Especially the pilot episode, "Callin' All Kin." Mush Mouse had hundreds of cousins who looked just like him. But Punkin himself eventually brought in his own kinfolk, including a "Cousin Bo Diddley." I guess the real Bo Diddley liked this one, since, to my knowledge, neither he nor his estate ever filed a lawsuit. Unless, of course, I'm missing something here. And the one with him disguising a kangaroo as a giant version of himself was based on an old Warner Bros gag, but I liked that, too.

Ricochet Rabbit And Droop-A-Long. I always considered these shorts a step up from "Quick Draw McGraw." Ricochet was much more resourceful. And Mel Blanc did a perfect imitation of Chester from "Gunsmoke" for the hapless coyote. He used this same voice for two "Flintstones" episodes. "Deep In The Heart Of Texarock" for the voice of ranch hand Blister, and "Sheriff For A Day," in which Barney spoke that way a couple of times.

I also found the fact that Ricochet used trick bullets amusing. Instead of killing, these would, among other things, open up and konk an outlaw on the old noggin with a mallet. I remember in one episode, a desperado closed his door and window to dodge a bullet. So what happened? The bullet came down the chimney of the hideout, and exploded on impact! The rabbit sheriff also had relatives. When a wolf stole a flock of sheep and drove across the border, the heroes could do nothing, since he was no longer in their jurisdiction. Luckily, Ricochet's Mexican cousin was there at the border to arrest the wolf on arrival. And when a ghost was haunting the town, the ghost of Ricochet's grandpappy showed up to scare him off. A ghost scaring a ghost! Downright hilarious! There was even an episode in which Ricochet was reunited with his childhood sweetheart, until she ran off with... the bad guy! Oh boy!

But not all episodes were about chasing outlaws. In one, the duo helped Little Red Riding Hood and her grandma. And in one that stood out from all others, they went to another planet to save a race of tiny aliens from the Gruesome Grock. All I can say about that one is, "Oh wow!"

So "The Magilla Gorilla Show" is another that I rate high.

Feel free to express your own thoughts.

Trivia Question 58A: Whenever Mr. Peebles accused Magilla of lying, he A. Put him in time out. B. Washed his mouth out with soap. C. Denied him bananas. D. Made him clean the pet shop.

Trivia Question 58B: True Or False: At a masquerade party, Magilla was mistaken for a detective in a gorilla costume.

Answers: 58A. B. 58B. True.
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Glowworm

Glowworm Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

I remember one time at my boyfriend's house, we were watching--well half watching some Hanna Barbara shorts on tv. There was a Magilla Gorilla short on at one point in which Magilla becomes a football player. At the beginning of the short, after the gorilla is taken in, one of our friends in a perfect Magilla voice says "Bye Mr. Peebles! See you in five minutes!" [rolling]Technically he wasn't wrong. Most of the shorts did revolve around the gorilla being taken in by someone only to have them return him by the end of the short.

I watched one or two of those Punkin Puss and Mush Mouse shorts--kind of weird if you ask me.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Magilla could also be considered a comfort animal of sorts. He cheered up Ogee when she was feeling down, and was also brought to the zoo to cheer up the lonesome, lovesick female gorilla Matidla. Another gag I liked was when Mr. Peebles washed Magilla's mouth out with soap whenever he thought he was lying.
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  4. MattPriceTime

MattPriceTime Intern Forum Member New Member

Originally Magilla Gorilla was another show i remember broken up more often than in it's whole self. Magilla cartoons were the most frequent seen, often in between other shows or in long blocks of HB shorts (the Cartoon-a-Doodle-Doo block at in at least two instances just showed a random culmination of HB shorts, and if my memory is correct it even did looney tunes once before Bugs and Daffy show had a regular spot in the morning) Either way, the Ricochet Rabbit shorts were sometimes shown, but a lot less than Magilla. Punkin' Puss i didn't remember at all from the earlier years. However the show with all three segments was shown in the Boomerang block following Adult Swim on sundays. It was my first known exposure to the Punkin' Puss shorts. (you know just barring the opening theme)

Magilla Gorilla himself was a pretty good cartoon. Magilla himself is likable and his shenanigans are bumbling yet fun. Among my favorite remembered shorts are the one where Magilla tries to look after "the geek" bird or the classic where we go "Making with the Magilla". However i think my favorite though has to be the one where Magilla gets caught up in a spy parody trying to deliver three different products to three different ladies and then the "you know what to you know who" Overall i think Magilla with his voice just provides a lot of fun goofy humor. Also i did the gag character Chugga-Chugga.

Honestly i consider the Ricochet Rabbit shorts to be my favorite of this batch. Ricochet and Droop have a great banter between them. Especially when Droop can't ricochet well. So many great little lines from Droop make the episodes all the more hilarious."what's wrong with robbing one little ole bank?". Ricochet's gag bullets are pretty good IMO too. Ricochet also has a bunch of fun minor antagonists to deal with in his western battles. Pretty good fun

Punkin' Puss and Mushmouse is a hillbilly romp plain and simple. Maybe not the best cat vs mouse romp i've ever seen, but a nice funny one. Mushmouse seems to get some scams in himself on Old Punkin' Puss. Melvin and Morris both really bring some funny voices to both of these characters that help sell the silliness of these cat vs mouse battles. For whatever reason this was the one that took me the longest to get to see but i think it still delivered.
    • Agree Agree x 1