1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

Itty-Bitty And Simply Irresistible.

Discussion in 'Hanna-Barbera' started by emeraldisle, Mar 16, 2014.

1. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Before I move on to Hanna-Barbera's big guns of 1966, I thought I'd say something about The Space Kidettes.

I saw the little spacefarers for a brief moment during the network run, and learned the names rather quickly. At that time, I never saw the opening, and thought the show was called "The Space Cadets." Guess I needed a little spell check there.

Anyway, I always thought Static was an out-and-out bully, and Captain Skyhook was unusually compassionate for a villain. Sure, he captured the youngsters often, but he refused to hurt them physically, since he just wanted their treasure map. Static, on the other hand, invariably got pounded by his boss whenever he wanted to inflict some kind of harm.

There was a kitchen tool in our house that looked somewhat like Jenny's hatlike space helmet, so I often carried it around, saying, "This is what little Jenny wears on her head."

But then, the show was pulled from its timeslot, eventually paired with "Samson And Goliath," which I'll discuss in a later thread, and even "Go Go Gophers," which wasn't even produced by H-B! The reason being, it was owned by DFS, and General Mills, along with most Total Television Productions. This was known as the The Program Exchange.

After the show went away, I was convinced I'd never see it again. Then, on April 10, 1982, while staying at a Cape Cod motel, I turned on one of the Boston channels, and there they were! I was delighted to see the itty-bitty kids and Pupstar again. But that joy was short-lived, for more than a year later, when I permanently moved to Boston, it had been pulled once again. But since I own many H-B DVD's that I bought from the Warner Archives, there's no more sorrow for me, for that one is among the titles I own.

My only gripe is that the author of the sci-fi TV book I mentioned in my thread about "The Outer Limits" called the Space Kidettes teenagers. Can't believe he'd mistake kids young enough for kindergarten for teenagers!

Trivia Question 61: Although the Space Kiddettes never went trick-or-treating, there are two episodes that could pass for Halloween stories. Name them.

Answer: "Space Witch," and "Haunted Planet."
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Bill Lewis

Bill Lewis Animator Forum Member New Member

One of the problems I had as a kid in the sixties was living with four other brothers and sisters with only one TV set.Even with only three channels(remember those days?),deciding what to watch could be a challenge. As an example,my brother loved ''Space Kiddettes'',while I preferred ''Space Ghost'',which was on at the same time.Kinda wish they hadn't taken so long to invent the VCR.
  3. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Or even the DVR. Technology's come a good long way.
  4. MattPriceTime

MattPriceTime Intern Forum Member New Member

Space Kidettes is yet another one that had avoided me in my youth (thanks Cartoon Network....) So once again the DVD was my first foray into this new adventure, but since most of my jump in to HB shows went well, I didn't really worry.

Space Kidettes is a fun little adventure show that caught me by surprise to be honest. The Skyhook/Static convos are great. Static always coming up with some cruel torture and Skyhook going "you can't do that! there just itsy bitsy kids!" is a hoot. The Space Kidettes themselves are cool little characters too. Pupstar is also trailblazing into space for dog kind. Maybe one day wanting to join the SCPA? (warning obscure comic reference unless you watched the Krypto cartoon)

Either way this is a nice little show that caught me by surprise. Even so it had a christmas special? I'd never even seen that one on at christmas time. Oh well though DVD makes up for CN's undoings.
    • Like Like x 1