1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

Josie & The Pussycats

Discussion in 'Hanna-Barbera' started by Dave Koch, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Dave Koch

Dave Koch Cartoon Admin

In recent time I purchased my own DVD copy of"Josie & The Pussycats".
    Pity it only lasted two seasons.(But then again,how long could Josie put up with Alexandra's ongoing jealous behavior over Alan?)

I also get a kick out of Melody's lack of intelligence.

TV Show Host:"What did George Washington say when he chopped down the cherry tree"?

Melody:"Timber"[​IMG]

Last weekend while browsing through a local flea market,I came across a used comic book of"Josie & the Pussycats".

Aside from discovering Valerie's debut,I noticed one or two things different from the cartoon show.

I realise that it's not uncommon for a comic book series to slightly differ from it's animated counterpart.(Plus I'm also aware that the Josie comic book series began long before the cartoon show.)

1.It appears that Alexandra has magical witchcraft powers that she did not have in the cartoon series.

2.I did not see Alan anywhere in the comic book stories.Did he ever appear in the comics?
  2. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Josie and the Pussy Cats is a personal favorite of mine, so I snagged the release from Amazon almost as soon as it came out.

Josie was created by Dan DeCarlo back in 1963 for Archie Comics. Josie was essentially a female Archie: red hair, golden heart, peculiar circumstances. Melody was her very best friend right from the start; Pepper was added much later in the series.

Alexander Cabot III often tried to win Josie's heart, and on occasion earned a date. His sister, Alexandra, envied Josie's popularity with boys in general. Josie could get a date with pretty much any boy in town, and one of these boys was an early version of Alan.

Alexandra originally had too much money and too little sense. Her witchcraft powers were added later, and it can be inferred that Cabots attained their vast fortune using the "dark arts."

When Archie Comics leased Josie and friends to Hanna-Barbera in 1969, character designer Iwao Takamoto made some serious revisions.

First, white Pepper was replaced by African Valerie, then Alexandra was changed from a bobbed brunette to a raven ponytail. Alexander was slimmed to a geek physique with absurd fashion sense, while Alan was buffed up to contrast Alex, and focus Alexandra's jealousy.
    The witch powers were discarded, and the Cabots were kept on a tight financial leash, otherwise, getting out of scrapes with villains would be too easy.

The cartoon 'cats played fairly well to the Scooby Doo audience. In response, Archie Comics was compelled to revise their characters to conform to Takamoto's updates.

I can only speculate why Alexandra was given arcane powers in the first place. Archie Comics toyed with the character Sabrina the Teenage Witch in 1966. Sabrina would use "good" magic mostly to better herself and her friends, though, being a novice spell caster, her results would be haphazard.

Alexandra's use of magic always was for selfish or hurtful ends, and these would typically create unintended consequences. I'm surmising that Archie comics creators wanted to toy with magical characters, and wanted to explore a good-girl-good-magic and a bad-girl-bad-magic approach at the same time.

Oh, Josie might be annoyed at times with Alexandra's antics, but Alan is clearly devoted only to Josie, so Alexandra poses no romantic threat. Alexandra's persistence, according to the comics, comes from being a Cabot. Her father is a greedy and demanding tycoon, who envisions himself as a titan among men. Therefore, he believes his children should be glorious, impeccable, invincible.

This insanely high standard pushed Alexander to be a crowing coward, and Alexandra to develop her "refuse to lose" attitude. Josie is aware of this, and keeps company with Alexandra in the hope that, away from her father's shadow, Alexandra will normalize.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. artytoons

artytoons Administrator I SUPPORT BCDB! Forum Member New Member

"Josie" is a property of Archie Comics. The "Archie" cartoon series at the time "Josie and the Pussycats" premiered on CBS in 1971 was animated by Filmation Studios. Because Filmation's animation work load for Saturday Morning network tv that season was full, Hanna-Barbera got the "Josie" series rights to animate.

Story writers/editors Joe Ruby and Ken Spears, who had created "Scooby Doo" and the regular chase scenes with a song in the first seasons, applied the same format to the "Josie" series...only with the villains being power-mad would-be world conquerors with many henchmen instead of being phony ghosts.

Although Alexandra was the "jealous complainer" of the gang and Alexander was the coward of the group, they had to be sympathetic enough for the audience compared to the villains she and the group battled.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

You're a year off, artytoons. "Josie" actually premiered in 1970, one year after "Scooby" took Saturday morning by storm. In fact, Alexandra, after being mistaken for a creature plant in "A Greenthumb Is Not A Goldfinger," mockingly asks, "Who were you expecting, Scooby Doo?"
    • Like Like x 1