1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

Maleficent Teaser Hits Internets

Discussion in 'Cartoon News' started by Dave Koch, Nov 20, 2013.

?

What do you think of Maleficent so far?

1. I am eager to see this

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I think Disney should leave their old characters alone

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I withhold judgement until I see the film

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Dave Koch

Dave Koch Cartoon Admin

maleficent.png It could be the best of films.… or it could be the worst. Disney is revisiting one of their scariest characters in this tale of Maleficent, complete with a new back story that re-writes a lot of what they first showed us in 1959 with Sleeping Beauty. Abandoning the original back story is one reason to be scared; having Angelina Jolie re-create this classic character is another.… but should Maleficent really scare us? We have a peak now to make that judgement.

Disney has just released a teaser video from this May 2014 release. While there is a lot to worry about, there is also some reason to be hopeful. The film is produced by Don Hahn and written by Linda Woolverton, both of whom helped create one of Disney’s greatest animated films, Beauty And The Beast. And with Angelina Jolie both starring and exec-producing, you know there is plenty of money in the project.

But Angelina Jolie could also prove to be a negative– she is not at the top (or even on the first page!) of my list of great female actors. Is she really best suited for this role, or is it just an ego project she is personally bankrolling? On my first viewing of the teaser, I think she may yet impress me in this roll. I especially like her last laugh. Let’s she if she can keep up this intensity for a whole film, because Maleficent is nothing if not intense.

Also apparent from a first viewing is that they are definitely taking liberties with the original Sleeping Beauty. As you may recall from Disney's 1959 animated original, Maleficent spent sixteen years trying to find the young Aurora. It looks to be in this film that Maleficent spent sixteen years watching Aurora the whole time. And, as I look at my original Maleficent cel, I note she was decidedly green in color; Jolie looks pale, but hardly chartreuse.

The heavy hand of CGI everything is very apparent in the trailer, too. Honestly, I am getting a little sick of films that are perfectly exposed in impossible settings. I would be nice to see some practical sets again... Ultimately, I have a lot of faith in Linda Woolverton, and that she will pull something good out of this, despite the rewriting of Sleeping Beauty history.

So give this a look. Let us know what you think– are you looking forward to this film, or does Maleficent really scare you?

2. peterhale

peterhale Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

I'm not too fond of live-action versions of animated characters - I've not yet bothered to see the Glen Close "101 Dalmatians"!

As a film it may be quite fun, but I suspect it will be necessary to forget the original while watching it, as it has to work on its own merits.

In the original, Maleficent's flesh did not appear overtly green, as the backgrounds behind her were always given a greenish cast, so her flesh looked more grey in comparison. It's a subtle thing, and I think what they've done is better than having her end up looking like the Wicked Witch of the West!
  3. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

There's something to be said about villains, they have a way of igniting a plot like no one else. It might be worthwhile to see what makes Maleficent so maliciously magnificent. Just for comparison, Doctor Doom is an intriguing character who's not only powerful, but has a Messiah complex. Doom seeks to rule the world because he must rule it, humanity needs him, such is his destiny. Perhaps Maleficent has a backstory that really lays out what makes her tick. Plus, Disney Pictures seems to have gotten itself back on track, with Bolt and Princess - Frog and Tangled. So far, the signs are good. :thumbsup:
  4. Dave Koch

Dave Koch Cartoon Admin

Peter- here is a cel I have of her... to my eye, she is pretty darn green!

photo.JPG
    • Creative Creative x 1
  5. saltyboot

saltyboot A Moderating Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

That's what I'm hoping for in this movie. Maleficent is one of my favorite villains, and I think it'll be cool to see a story about her.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. peterhale

Yes, indeed, I'm not saying she isn't green, but look at her against the background - the bright green makes her green skin seem more grey, and lighter.

maleficentAs CelSmall.jpg

She always has a greenish background - even when she first appears in the castle hall her backgrounds have a greenish cast.

maleficent_at_ChristeningSmall.jpg

And by candlelight her flesh is even less coloured...

maleficentByCandlelightSmall.jpg

So the effect is more subtle than just green like Margaret Hamilton in TWOZ. The animated Maleficent has a greenish aura, but her flesh looks more cold and uncanny than unnaturally green. To me, at least.

I suspect that for the live-action they didn't want a "false" skin colour that would distract from Maleficent's credibility.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Hmm, vaguely bluish or greenish skin tones. :D I think someone noticed a similar color on Snidely Whiplash from the Dudley Do-Right cartoons. Perhaps this is an artist shorthand for prison pallor, denoting someone who rarely if ever sees the sun, being cooped away in cold dark places. In real life, such sheltered existence lead to very pale complexions that tended to highlight the bluish veins beneath the skin. Thus, sheltered nobility were called "bluebloods," in the belief that different blood flowed in their veins, as opposed to the crimson stuff in those plebes in the workaday under-the-sun world. :eek:

Coupled with the yellowed sclerae, I think the idea is to convey that her spite and wickedness has made Maleficent less human and more mushroom, an unsound mind corrupting an unhealthy body. :grumpy:
  8. peterhale

I see a fuller trailer is now available, with a nicely sinister version of "Once Upon A Dream" on the soundtrack - click on Maleficent "Dream" for Youtube link.
  9. Glowworm

Glowworm Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

That rendition of "Once Upon a Dream" is gorgeous.
  10. saltyboot

saltyboot A Moderating Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

I came across that trailer yesterday. It definitely makes the movie more intriguing.