1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

Memorable quotes from animated characters.

Discussion in 'Other / Multiple Studios' started by oneuglybunny, Apr 21, 2014.

1. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Every so often, just like their live-action counterparts, animated characters will deliver some bon mots that really stand out in the work. This thread is dedicated to those instances where a cartoon character says something especially poignant, or belly-laugh hilarious, or memorable in some other way. Try to name not only the character, but the work in which the character appears, and the quote. Additional context is also welcome.

From the Josie And The Pussy Cats episode The Melody Memory Mix-Up, Melody Valentine, the giggling blonde drummer of the group, is hiding from the villain's henchmen in a television studio. Melody ends up on camera on a quiz show. The emcee poses the softball question: "What did George Washington say when he chopped down the cherry tree?"

Melody responds with a hearty "Tim-ber!" :arghh:

Of course, one would expect the usual, "I cannot tell a lie, father; it was I that chopped down the cherry tree." But Fridge Brilliance kicks in when one realizes that the usual quote likely came while George's father is glaring at him, shaving strap in hand, ready to paddle li'l George into the White House. Melody's answer likely came before George's angry father showed up, just after George had given the poor tree its last whack. Honestly, who's to say young George didn't say "tim-ber!" as the cherry tree fell?
    • Like Like x 1
  2. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Very good thread, OUB. I can throw in a good one here.

In the "Dungeons And Dragons" episode , "The Lost Children," Dungeon Master delivers one of his conundrums. The kids can't understand it, so wise guy Eric says, "I think the warranty expired on Dungeon Master's brain."
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. saltyboot

saltyboot A Moderating Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

In a Pinky and the Brain episode, Brain asked Pinky, "are you pondering what I'm pondering?" Pinky responded, "I think so Brain, but if Jimmy cracks corn and no one cares, why does he keep doing it?"

Another one is from Bugs Bunny Rides Again when Bugs and Sam are playing Gin. Sam says, "Alright, alright don't rush me, I'm thinkin'! And my head hurts."
    • Like Like x 1
  4. straydog

straydog Moderator Staff Member Forum Member New Member

What's Opera Doc?
    Elmer:♫ "Brunhilde, you're so woveweee(lovely)"
    Bugs (disguised as Brunhilde):♫"I know..I can't help it."♫

Ducking The Devil
    Daffy, moments after he beat the Tasmanian Devil to a pulp over a dollar.
    Daffy: "I might be a coward, but I'm a greeeeedy little coward."

The writers on Invader Zim must've taken great
    pleasure in writing very awkward phrases.

GIR Goes Crazy and Stuff
    Gir: Your methods are stupid; your progress has been stupid;
    your intelligence is stupid!

Hobo 13
    *Sgt. Hobo: I'm looking forward to twisting you into a twisted horrible knot,
    ...made from you!

(* Sgt. Hobo voiced by character actor
    R. Lee Ermey making it that much funnier)

Backseat Drivers from Beyond the Stars
    Zim: You're nothing Earth boy! Go home and shave your giant head of smell with your bad self!
    Dib: Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Tak: The Hideous New Girl

Dib: You're just jealous...
    Zim: This has nothing to do with jelly!

Ms. Bitters: Children, your performance was miserable. Your parents will all receive phone
    calls instructing them to love you less now.

Straydog
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  5. emeraldisle

Here are a few more from Hanna-Barbera:

From a Flintstones episode:

Doctor: Say ah, please.

Fred: Ah, please.

Doctor: Say ah again, please.

Fred: Ah again, please.

From the "Scooby-Doo Meets Jeannie" episode of "The New Scooby-Doo Movies."

(Jeannie zaps an evil spirit that's tormenting Shaggy, Scooby, and Babu)

Shaggy: See? It was just a harmless joke.

Jeannie: It was no joke, Shaggy. And definitely not harmless.

From the "Jabberjaw" episode "The Bermuda Triangle Tangle."

(Jabber tries to bring the Neptunes out of their zombie states)

Shellly: I only obey Madame Sargasso, blubberhead!

Jabberjaw: No respect! Not even from a zombie!
  6. saltyboot

Ah, yes. I remember some more.

From Rabbit of Seville.
    Bugs singing to Elmer: "There, you're nice and clean. Although your face looks like it has been through a machine."

From Jack-Wabbit and the Beanstalk.
    The Giant talking about Bugs: "Duh... well, he can't outsmart me. Because I'm a moron."
    • Like Like x 1
  7. oneuglybunny

Permit me a moment to address a response or two.
    "If Jimmy cracks corn, and nobody cares, why does he still do it?" - Pinky
    Because cracking corn is one colloquialism for brewing corn liquor, a/k/a moonshine. Jimmy brews the moonshine, which the singer imbibes until he stopping caring and forgets his troubles. It's when Jimmy stops brewing the corn liquor that the singer takes issue.

As to Invader Zim speaking flawed English as his regular dialog: creator Jhonen Vasquez was smart enough to realize that immigrants to the US often fail to grasp the nuances of American English. Therefore an alien from another planet would likewise speak flawed English, unprepared for its many colloquialisms.

This one could almost be Dick Dastardly's catchphrase: "Muttley! Do something!" Once again, one of Dastardly's booby traps has backfired horribly on him, and he's in mortal peril from his own machinations. Now, if Dastardly had friends, they'd surely rush to save him by reflex. However, his underlings, especially Muttley, are usually content to simply observe Dastardly's demise. DD has to specifically order a rescue effort. Anyone can sound terrified about a mortal plight; Dastardly adds peevishness to it because he's surrounded by laggards and Starscreams. All kinds of kudos to the late, great Paul Winchell for nailing that much complexity of character into three words. "Muttley! Do something!"

I cannot hear that cry and still keep a straight face. :lol:
  8. emeraldisle

Now for the most memorable quote of all time:

Jessica Rabbit: I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Glowworm

Glowworm Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

There's a doozy of a good one in "The Wearing of the Grin" in which after viewing Shamus O' Toole--or rather O' Pat the leprechaun remarks while standing right next to his "lower half" (in reality O' Mike the leprechaun) "Now isn't this sight enough to set the heart crossways in ye?"
  10. straydog

straydog Moderator Staff Member Forum Member New Member

The Dover Boys

(the villainous Backslide slips from the tavern, finds an unattended automobile and dramatically announces...)
    Dan Backslide:“A runabout. I'll steal it!
    No one will ever know!!

Rabbit Seasoning

Bugs: Would you like to shoot me now or wait 'til you get home?
    Daffy: Shoot him now! Shoot him now!
    Bugs: You keep outta this! He doesn't have to shoot you now!
    Daffy:He does so have to shoot me now!
    (to Elmer) I demand that you shoot me now!
    BAM!!!

Rocky and Bullwinkle/Mr. Know-It-All
    Rocky:For those of you who want to soak up some extra knowledge,
    here he is,Mr. Know-It-All.
    Bullwinkle: Hello sponge-heads.

Rocky:For all those wise men who wish to become wiser,
    here's Mr. Know-It-All
    Bullwinkle:Hello wise guys.

Rocky: For all of you who want to be tigers in the field of journalism, here's Mr. Know-It-All.
    Bullwinkle: Hello, copycats.

(Boris creates a football team of roughs and thugs to play Wattsamotta U. and disguises them as a girls team to drive the odds higher.
    )
    Rocky: A girls' school? Gosh, Bullwinkle, what kind of games can you play with girls?
    Bullwinkle: Gee, this really is a children's show! Why parcheesi, of course.

Straydog
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  11. oneuglybunny

Ooh, I'd forgotten those Bullwinkle J Moose quotes, and I have the first three seasons of Rocky And Bullwinkle on DVD. Good catches.
    Now for a Roger Rabbit quote to compliment Jessica's:
    "Oh, Jessica. Say it isn't so. P-l-l-l-l-lease?"
    The same Roger Rabbit who can have refrigerators dropped on his head and walk it off, who can brush off 12-guage buckshot like dandruff, who can get blasted with nitro and merely shake the soot out of his fur ... but show him pictures of his beloved wife playing literal patty-cake with Marvin Acme, and Roger Rabbit dies by degrees in a rain-soaked alley. Giving a Screwy Squirrel comic character a Break-The-Cutie scene like that is mighty fine scripting.
  12. Glowworm

In the pilot episode of Cow and Chicken "No Smoking" we are treated to one heck(no pun intended) of an entrance by The Red Guy "Hello, it's me the devil! I stand for all that is bad. Also, I'm naked."
  13. emeraldisle

Another from "The New Scooby-Doo Movies," this one from "The Dynamic Scooby-Doo Affair."

(Batman examines a counterfeit $5 bill).

Batman: A clever feat of duplication. But they made one little slip-up. President Lincoln never wore a turtleneck sweater.
  14. saltyboot

From Popeye The Sailor Meets Ali Baba's Forty Thieves:
    Bluto: "You wanna make a fool of me?"
    Popeye: "Nature beat me to it."

Another one from the same cartoon:
    Popeye: "I'd make a sandwich if I had a witch."
  15. emeraldisle

And this, from "Water, Water, Every Hare:"

Mad Scientist: Now be a good little bunny, and let me have your brain.

Bugs: Sorry, doc, but I need what little I've got.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Glowworm

From "Baby Buggy Bunny"
    "Finster's shaving his age? And tattooed? And smoking a cigar?"

In the Phineas and Ferb episode "The Curse of Candace" there is an extremely clever actor allusion bit in which the boys' mother, Linda remarks that she's heading out, and if they need anything, their father is inside watching a horror movie. We then cut to Lawrence (their father) remarking "Well, this isn't much of a horror movie. Where are the rock and roll musical numbers?" He's obviously making a reference to the film version of "The Rocky Horror Picture Show." However, there's a bit more to it than that--The voice actor for Lawrence just so happens to be Richard O'Brian who wrote "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" and was Riff Raff in the film version.
  17. saltyboot

I'm reminded of a Bugs quote from Haredevil Hare. This is right after Bugs stops Marvin from blowing up the Earth.
    Bugs: "HEY! All the people I know are on the Earth!"
    • Like Like x 1
  18. oneuglybunny

Time for a classic:
    "Help! Jane, stop this crazy thing!" - George Jetson.
    From the closing animation of Hanna-Barbera's The Jetsons series, George Jetson is taking his dog Astro out for a walk. They're using treadmill built for the purpose that extends from the ledge of the apartment building out into space, thousands of stories up, with no safety rails. A high-wire act across Niagara Falls would be safer. Of course, things Go Horribly Wrong when a cat appears and leaps in front of Astro, who gives chase. This causes the treadmill to speed up to the point where George can't keep up, and he falls, disappearing off the back edge. Well, this dog-walker must have its own gravity system, because George doesn't fall thousands of feet to his doom; instead, he adheres to the underside of the track, and reappears at the front, passing beneath the feet of the cat and Astro as he does so. The cat and Astro find George's lumpiness in their path inconvenient, so they simply leap onto the window ledge to watch poor George cry out for help, fall prone, roll off the far edge, reappear on the near edge, regain his feet, and cry out some more. Schadenfreud at its finest.
  19. Glowworm

In "The Day the Ed Stood Still" from Ed, Edd, 'N Eddy, Ed remarks "I am just a monster in a boy's body." That's pretty profound for a fellow who mostly spouts nonsense and has a fondness for buttered toast and gravy...
  20. emeraldisle

Now here's a verbal exchange from "Forward March, Hare," that always leaves me laughing:

Bugs: Private Bugs Bunny reporting, sir.

Sergeant: Private Bugs Bunny, eh? Well, I'm Sergeant Porky Pig.

Colonel: And I am Colonel Putty Tat.

Lieutenant: Corporal! General Tweety Pie was asking for you, sir.