1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

Paul J Smith as directorship at Lantz: Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Other / Multiple Studios' started by Dave Koch, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Dave Koch

Dave Koch Cartoon Admin

Who's career before that started first as Animator at Leon Schlesinger Productions, after that arriving at UPA and then eventually at Lantz staying this time as senior stalwart starting in 1950 when Lantz re-opened.

So, in terms of general directorship i'll just say this: i haven't really have covered him as animator, but as director i HAVE indeed!, the art direction (INDEED mainly by Paul J. Smith himself, exactly and way-too-obviously) in his films is horribly PUTRID and very rancid, his human designs from the hideous art direction are formulaic, insincere, extremely contrived, hideous, bland, lifeless, stiff, amateurish, lousy and just plain FHUGLY and borderline offensively NASTY!, and i utterly 100% detest of what he did to Woody Woodpecker, let alone happened to the poor woodpecker, everything was completely disappeared and gone by changing his design to something even WORSE than the original retro googly design with voice supplied by the fantastic Mel Blanc, i have NO problem whatsoever with Woody having the forward top knot considering Winnie Woodpecker in the 1999 cartoon had one in the exact same fashion, but THEN it's not the top knot that was the problem, and THAT goes without saying if you bother to see that for yourself, all i can say is that it simply just looks like the east and west parts of Woody Woodpecker got cut and then painfully stripped out leaving only the area of the middle ala the episode where Spongebob receives the same fashion in the episode Scaredy Pants, so that ALSO makes the Woody Woodpecker design i'm talking about extremely LOUSY! not to mention bleak and stagnant.

And it gets worse.... to be honest i've never like Grace Stafford as Woody, though she is very nice and talented as a person enough to teach me the true way of the laugh voice via video, i find her performance as Woody Woodpecker on the actual cartoons to be extremely unlikable and pretty lousy, not to mention extremely grating and pretty shrill, and also the personality is just like the design, and going back to Paul J Smith got worser and worser until it was this at an all time high: it's not really Woody Woodpecker AT ALL!!!, it's extremely lousy in that instead of being that beautiful colorful loonatic of a bird whom i always have cherished in even the wacky hilarious early funny garish stuff beginning in 1940, it's this unlikable, pesky, rodent-like scum, bleak, sterile, souless and repulsively annoyingly rotten execuse of a character in general, UGH [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] .

And lastly, Paul J Smith's boderline UGLY ,way far far below amateurish and extremely artlessly shoddy art direction had literally become the norm and obviously the standard and then became the Walter Lantz house style, in a way and as such, Alex Lovy's cartoons extremely and also seemingly painfully suffer from this, EVEN Tex Avery seemed to very prone to it (although SHHHHH!!! stands out because it looks exactly more like Don Martin designed it) as with even Jack Hannah!, unlikewise, the only directors that didn't seem to be affected quite as much and as such invulnerable were Don Patterson and Sid Marcus, the former because he had started directorship way before Smith got that job, and the latter obviously because he took an all time high HUGE advantage of Art Davis being his animator and therefore made a HUGE standout for the wretched fleck-laden dreck that Paul J Smith was cranking out in literally the same period.

Oh, speaking of Art Davis on Sid Marcus' cartoons, Paul J Smith also extremely suffered from having the excessively inept Les Kline as an animator, his animation is extremely artless, repulsive, choppy, and really hideously clunky and rotten stuff that literally made the films twice as unbearable to watch, and it's even more unberable and even more inconsistently jarring when it abruptly cuts into talented kooky Disney animator Al Coe, or even more often it manly cuts into the more superior looking Laverne Harding and the wild, wacky and crazily funny Don Patterson stuff and also it makes guys like Robert Bentley and Gil Turner even more easy peasy to spot, this similarly also speaks for the lousily FUNKY "Wonderland Syndrome" of inconsistent sizes as if Paul J. Smith was suffering from a really bad drug hallucination or drank coffee that some drug obsessed nit-wit fowled up, thus the resulting unintentional effects.

Or maybe Paul J. Smith was just plain inept as a director (even more-so than Charles Nichols) and should have never got that kind of promotion at all, it's like literally promoting Kenneth Muse as director, GOSH [​IMG][​IMG], it just proves that not all animators can be directors, only CERTAIN ones exactly like say, Tex Avery, Bill Hanna, Dan Gordon, Frank Tashlin, Arthur Davis, Joe Barbera, Chuck Jones and EVEN Walter Lantz himself, UPA's films, now considering what i mentioned, were even worse than the Walter Lantz cartoons in those terms.

UGH, all this has gave Lantz his really bad reputation among Animation Historians and why they are severly forgotten, here are one of Lantz' mistakes:

1. When in a financial crisis with UA in 1948, at the exact same time the Woody Woodpecker Song was made, Walter Lantz could have done the same thing he did when he put characters of his in comic books, just do the same with the song and milk it for all it's worth, this could have also prevented the lawsuit as well, or made it worse which ever you confirm is correct, and that's it if he did than his stuff would have been still right were it is and he would have kept all his best people and everyone on staff intact.

2. Demoting the progressively eligible Don Patterson from the director's seat, when it REALLY should have been Paul J Smith to be let go, SHEESH [​IMG].

3. Letting the returned senior long time regular (ala LaVerne Harding) Tex Avery slip out of his grasp when he was actually improving and getting right back on his track, and sliding him down to a nervous wreck, and being replaced by the not as great Alex Lovy (who's films also suffered from Kline's horrid animation, but often rarely), the exact same thing happened to J.R Bray animator Shamus Culhane as well, Although Disney animator Dick Lundy was also at least as good, but sometimes he was exactly on par pretty much with Culhane.

Whew!, what a long post, looks like i said literally EVERYTHING for here, how bout you guys, WELCOME [​IMG] [​IMG].