1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

Revved Up For Action.

Discussion in 'Hanna-Barbera' started by emeraldisle, May 25, 2014.

1. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Well, what do you know? I'm posting my thoughts about "Speed Buggy" on the day of the Indy 500! :)

Speed Buggy was a most remarkable car. He was like Jack Benny's Maxwell, Herbie the Love Bug, the Ant Hill Mob's Chugaboom, and even Speed Racer's Mach 5 rolled into one. I noticed that he was actually more "human" than his predecessors, like when he caught a cold in the episode "Professor Snow And Madame Ice," and had to drink chicken soup flavored antifreeze to get well.

The opening showed that although Tinker built him, he didn't do it without help from Mark and Debbie. In fact, I saw that all three teenagers were amazingly brilliant. Mark often came up with ideas. Debbie was the one who wanted to bring in Baron Vult and Pygmo, and she was also the one who figured out that their friend Mr. Taggart was the chief of an evil
    organization. The most impressive and original villain, in my opinion, was Jerick, a guy who, thanks to a ray, could enlarge or shrink himself by saying, "Metamorpho!" Of course, the ray eventually wore off.

Those who say Mark, Debbie, and Tinker were the show's equivalents of Freddie, Daphne, and Shaggy were no doubt right. However, I say they were also the equals of Speed Racer, Trixie, and Sparky. After all, they did encounter supervillains just like those three and others on the anime show did.

Also unforgettable was the "New Scooby-Doo Movies" episode "The Weird Winds Of Winona." In this one, for some unknown reason, Mark had dark skin. During the series' run, he was Caucasian. Go figure.

All things considered, the odds were 100% in Speedy's favor, for by the end of the '70's, the show had aired on all three networks, and also resurfaced on CBS from 1982-83.

So did I like this series? All I can say is, "Roger Dodger" on that! :)
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  2. artytoons

artytoons Administrator I SUPPORT BCDB! Forum Member New Member

"Speed Buggy" seemed to be a favorite of network programming chief Fred Silverman...although no new episodes were added to the 16 episodes produced for its first season run in the rerun cycle.

"Speed Buggy" premiered on CBS when Silverman was the programming chief there. Silverman's favorite animation studios to supply the cartoon shows for his network were Hanna-Barbera and Filmation.
    When Silverman moved to ABC to be their programming chief in the late 1970s, "Speed Buggy" was added to the ABC Saturday schedule.
    When Silverman moved to NBC to be programming chief around 1979, "Speed Buggy" was added to the NBC Saturday AM schedule.
    When CBS picked up "Speed Buggy" in 1982...Silverman didn't work there. By then, Silverman started his own production company, Intermedia...and co-developed and produced with Marvel Productions, the CBS cartoon shows "Meatballs and Spaghetti" and "Pandamonium" for the 1983-1984 schedule. Silverman's company would also produce the 1980s-era Perry Mason tv films and the tv series "Matlock" and "Jake and the Fat Man".

Michael Bell's first cartoon voice role as Mark. Mark was supposed to be American Indian but his race was never mentioned in the stories.

The stories usually followed a formula...Tinker, Mark, Debbie, and Speed Buggy would participate in a race in a foreign locale...along with a villain or villains bent on world conquest. Speed Buggy and gang would usually get captured by the bad guy(s) and the Speedy team would fail in their first attempt to escape. The Speedy team would be successful in their second attempt to escape...and then defeating the villains and winning the race at the end.
    Last edited: May 25, 2014
  3. emeraldisle

Actually, Artytoons, "Pandamonium" and "Meatballs And Spaghetti" premiered in 1982, and both were cancelled a year later. And "Speed Buggy" aired on NBC in late 1976, not 1979. I have a book that lists all Saturday morning schedules of the '60's-'90's.

Silverman added "Space Ghost" and "Frankenstein Jr" reruns to the 1977 NBC Saturday schedule as well as adding "Fred and Barney" and later "The Herculoids" in the strike..When he was at CBS, he added "Space Ghost" in its premiere season in 1966 and "Herculoids" in 1967 and new "Flintstones" and "Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm" episodes in the early 1970s.

Silverman was head of NBC's prime time schedule from 1977 until 1979 after serving at ABC in the mid 1970s (and adding top rated shows like "Happy Days" and"Charlie's Angels")...The Fall 1979 primetime schedule for NBC was a disaster with every new series premiering that season being cancelled immediately. Silverman was fired.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2014
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. MattPriceTime

MattPriceTime Intern Forum Member New Member

Speed Buggy was always cool to me. Speed Buggy in my youth was usually found in the weekend morning slots. Sometimes in the wee hours of the night (circa 4-6 AM). That being said when CN later ditched a lot more HB programming in the 98-04 period, Speed Buggy was one of the ones i still got to see a bit during the Boomerang in the morning block (i've never gotten Boomerang as it's own channel so my only experience with it were the times it was on CN itself) I recall Speed Buggy with plenty of memories. A bunch of the episodes stayed in my mind even after years of not seeing that orange little buggy. Perhaps the more frequent seen New Scooby Movies episode helped keep his memory more in line with me.

Again when DVD time came, it was a no brainer for me to vroooom-a-zoooom-zoooom with Speedy again. The show is still pretty good. One thing i do notice more now is that i like the whole supporting cast a lot more than i realized. While before i think i was more Speedy and Tinker fans, i also really dig Debbie and Mark. Debbie herself is a fun character especially when she takes the lead. I also now notice that Mark and Debbies outfits are inverse as to imply in typical background HB style they were paired.

Speed Buggy had itself in a little more streamlined set up than say Scooby but similar to Jabberjaw and Josie in that most of his events happened because he was on a way to a race. Typically though the stories went further enough apart to not make it a bad point (side note: car racing in real life bores the muffler out of me) This show also had a bunch of fun one shot villains. The "metamorpho" guy like mentioned in the top post was indeed cool. I seriously wouldn't have minded had HB dusted off some of Speed Buggy's bad guys for the laff-a-lympics but that's another story.

The show to me brings back a lot of fun, quite frankly some of the best car related fun i know. I glad Speed Buggy zooms in my dvd player from time to time now.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. emeraldisle

Trivia Question 73: Name all the animals the Ringmaster trained to commit robberies.
  6. emeraldisle

Trivia Answer: The ringmaster's animals were as follows: Giraffe, zebra, elephant, crocodile, gorilla, and cheetah.