1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

Rotten Peanuts?

Discussion in 'Other / Multiple Studios' started by emeraldisle, Feb 16, 2015.

1. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

While reading the newest "Uncle John's Bathroom Reader," I came across an entry called "It's A Bad Idea, Charlie Brown." The author listed, in chronological order, seven Peanuts specials he thinks never should have been produced. Here they are:

1. "Charlie Brown's All Stars."

2. "He's Your Dog, Charlie Brown."

3. "Play It Again, Charlie Brown."

4. "There's No Time For Love, Charlie Brown."

5. "It's Arbor Day, Charlie Brown." Even I didn't really care for this one.

6. "What Have We Learned, Charlie Brown?"

7. "Why, Charlie Brown, Why?" I disagree here. This one had a very good reason for airing, since it dealt with something that happens all the time. I myself had a classmate who lost his fight with leukemia forty and a half years ago. RIP.

So do you guys think these seven were memorable specials, or rotten Peanuts?
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  2. Bobby Bickert

Bobby Bickert Inbetweener Forum Member New Member

Of the above specials, I've only seen "It's Arbor Day Charlie Brown". (Though I did read the book adaptations of "Charlie Brown's All Stars" and "Play It Again Charlie Brown" when I was in elementary school.) But of the Peanuts specials I have seen (most of the ones from the 1970's and 1980's) I would rate "It's Flashbeagle Charlie Brown" as the worst. It doesn't really have a plot; it's just a bunch of musical numbers loosely strung together. I don't know why it isn't on that list.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. emeraldisle

I've seen worse than these in MAD Magazine. First there was the strip that had Charlie Brown and Lucy talking like ordinary kids, mentioning wagons, dollhouses, and green skies. The other one had the Peanuts gang "starring" in spoofs of various primetime shows. These parodies included "Young Dr. Brown," "Peanut Squad," "Peanuts Place," "Charlie Brown, Attorney For The Defenseless," and "The Chuck Brown Show."
  4. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

And I've seen worser than that, but in the interest of Peanuts purists, I won't publicly say where.
  5. emeraldisle

MAD even published a parody strip called "The Red Baron," by Carl Schultz. in which Von Richtofen interacted with his fellow pilots, and vented his frustration over his inability to defeat Snoopy.
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  6. artytoons

artytoons Administrator I SUPPORT BCDB! Forum Member New Member

"What A Nightmare, Charlie Brown" was a radical departure from the usual specials as it showed Snoopy having a bad dream, after over-eating, about being a sled dog during a blizzard in Alaska and enduring harsh treatment from the whip of the sled rider and from the other four-legged and snarling sled dogs before earning their respect...the dream ends on a sour note as Snoopy and the sled dogs fell in a hole in the ice and was about to drown. A little too intense.

There was a live-action/animated special "It's the Girl in the Red Truck, Charlie Brown" with a live action Amy Schulz (daughter of Charles M.) adopting Snoopy's whiskered and animated brother Spike in the desert in Needles, CA. Amy Schulz's acting met with mixed reviews. Sort of forgotten now.

There was also a 100% live action special produced by Lee Mendelson titled "The Big Stuffed Dog" about a stuffed Snoopy dog changing the lives of several people for the better who come across it...including Gordon Jump of "WKRP" fame as a biker. Sort of forgotten as well.
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  7. Bobby Bickert

Bobby Bickert Inbetweener Forum Member New Member

I think the only MAD magazine Peanuts parody I've seen was one that showed the characters when they were older, from teenagers through to senior citizens. I'm guessing that it was originally published in the late 1960's or the early 1970's, because one of the strips had Woodstock and the other birds getting high on marijuana. ("Pot party!") Charlie Brown and Lucy were married in these strips, and they had a son, Charlie Brown Jr., who looked just like Schroeder. As a child my reaction to this was just "Thats funny, he looks just like Schroeder!". Years later I finally realized why he would look just like Schroeder.:wideyed:
  8. Michael J. Ruhland

Michael J. Ruhland Apprentice Forum Member New Member

Aww. Why is "What Have We Learned, Charlie Brown?" on here. I know it is quite different from the average Peanuts special, but it is just as good as any of the classics. I view it as a very touching and moving tribute to those who had fought in the two world wars.
  9. Thinice

Thinice Intern Forum Member New Member

I can't agree with any on that list.

For me, its Charlie Brown. I would watch almost any of the specials. The Arbor Day special is a favorite of mine. It always reminds me of the Little Rascals short about Arbor Day where the truant officer is after them.

If there is one short that might be added it would be about the Girl in the Red Truck. I do not recall ever seeing that special and probably never will unless it gets released to DVD.