1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

Searching the title of a Tom and Jerry cartoon

Discussion in 'MGM' started by crispy_lip, Jan 23, 2018.

1. crispy_lip

crispy_lip Newbie New Member

Hello,

I am looking for the title of a one of the older Tom and Jerry cartoons (1940/1950s) that I saw 30-35 years ago on a Tom and Jerry VHS compilation in my country.
    The only detail I remember was that the black housemaid somehow ends up on top of the hot stove burner. In which cartoon did this happen?
  2. Raynold453

Raynold453 Newbie New Member

this was happened long time ago. I even can't remember that name.
  3. crispy_lip

But that described scenario definitely did happen in one of those cartoons, didn't it?
    Do you remember anything else about that cartoon that might help me find out which exact one? Is it available on any of the official Tom and Jerry DVD box-sets / compilations?
    Come on, Tom and Jerry experts, help me find the title of this cartoon. I've sporadically gone through a couple doussins of them now and so far no luck finding that one.
  4. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Well, I've gone through the Tom And Jerry Spotlight Collection, and the black housemaid, Mammy Two-Shoes by name, never ends up atop a hot stove. Violence against women, especially in cartoons of the Fifties, was taboo. The closest to the hot stove gag I know occurs in Disney's 101 Dalmatians, when Horace has a throw rug pulled out from under his feet, and ends up sitting in a lit fireplace. His face gets redder as his "cheeks" get hotter. The worst Mammy ever got was a dousing of water, from a pitcher lobbed by a drunken Tom Cat in the cartoon "Part Time Pal."
  5. crispy_lip

Hmm... That is odd. I mean I remember that particular scene so clearly. Does the Spotlight Collection pretty much contain every single T&J cartoon throughout the 40s/50s, or are there some omissions? If so, maybe the one I saw could be one of those not included in the set.
  6. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Yes, the Spotlight Collection contains almost every Tom and Jerry cartoon made at MGM Studios by cartoon legends Bill Hanna and Joe Barbera. The only two missing from this set are His Mouse Friday, which is set in a remote jungle where a hot stove hasn't been discovered yet; and Mouse Cleaning, where Mammy Two Shoes only appears at the beginning to caution Tom that she expects her house to be kept clean, then at the end when Jerry causes Tom to fail at this directive spectacularly. These two cartoons have been deemed too racially insensitive to ever see the light of day again.

Tom and Jerry later ended up being animated at Rembrandt Studios in Europe, though there's no Mammy Two-Shoes in these cartoons. Later still, Tom and Jerry were animated at Chuck Jones' Tower 12 Productions, and these likewise had no Mammy in them.

Perhaps, this is one of the Fred "Tex" Avery cartoons that were also produced at MGM Studios. Tex Avery had no qualms about depicting hot fanny gags such as the one you're seeking.
  7. crispy_lip

Thanks for clarifying! Between which years were the Tex Avery Tom & Jerry cartoons made and are they available on any DVDs? I searched on Google for some kind of list of the titles but all I find is some LP soundtrack record featuring music, "Tom and Jerry and Tex Avery Too". :confused:
  8. saltyboot

saltyboot A Moderating Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Tex Avery directed the MGM cartoons from 1942-53. However, he didn't direct Tom & Jerry. He directed Droopy, as well as others.
    His MGM Droopy cartoons can be found in Tex Avery's Droopy: The Complete Theatrical Collection.
    I don't think his non-Droopy cartoons are available on DVD.
  9. crispy_lip

Oh, I must have misunderstood the other poster then. I thought he/she meant that the cartoon I was searching was possibly a Tex Avery production. But I am nearly 100% sure I did see this cartoon I described, and it really was a Tom and Jerry cartoon. Towards the end of the cartoon, the housemaid is thrown onto the hot stove burner. It's possible it wasn't the housemaid, but she is the only human I remember from these old Tom and Jerry cartoons. But someone definitely ended up on top of the stove burner, I'm quite sure of that.
  10. Bill Lewis

Bill Lewis Animator Forum Member New Member

I think I got it,The Lonesome Mouse (1943).It has the scene originally mentioned in the first post.For some reason, I always remembered Mammy's "whoop whoop whoop''when Jerry turned on the stove! And,by the way,this was one of the few T&J cartoons where the characters spoke,in fact,Jerry was a real chatterbox in this one.
  11. Bill Lewis

Oh,and according to Wikipedia,it's available in the Spotlight (Vol.2) and Golden (Vol.1) collections.
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  12. crispy_lip

@Bill Lewis Awesome! Thank you so much! I looked it up on YouTube and that is indeed the cartoon I remembered. So despite of what was said, it turned out it was in the Spotlight Collection all along. I need to go pick up a copy of that now. :)
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Bill Lewis

Yes,it's definitely in Spotlight Vol.2, I'm holding it in my hand right now, on Disc 1.Glad I could help!