1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

Taking My Chances With Chan.

Discussion in 'Hanna-Barbera' started by emeraldisle, May 3, 2014.

1. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

I did have a Saturday morning agenda in 1972, but "The Amazing Chan And The Chan Clan" wasn't part of it. All I saw at that time was a promotional ad. I think the man said, "The kids cause problems for Charlie Chan, but they never fail to get their man," or something like that, at least. In fact, it took me two years just to see an episode. I did so on Sunday, September 22, 1974--the day the show was cancelled! I vowed that never again would I put off seeing a Hanna-Barbera cartoon until the show's final air date. In this episode, the ten kids set their own traps to catch the bad guys, but caught one another instead. It was a riot.

Luckily, I had the chance to make up for my costly error when the show entered syndication a few years later. I didn't know what I was missing. The songs were great, and the mysteries intriguing. Yes, the show was nothing like the old Charlie Chan movies, but give H-B a break. They were trying to make it as early 70's as possible. How else do you explain lines like "Wham! Bam! We're in a jam?"

And my reason for skipping it wasn't due to prejudice against Asians. I was just plain stubborn, and going through angst and depression back then.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

This is another clone of Hanna-Barbera's flagship series Scooby Doo Where Are You? However, in the Chan Clan's iteration, the creators were looking to break out of the lily-white character mold, and to focus more on deductive reasoning to solve the mystery, as though Velma were in charge things rather than Freddie. It was also a way to angle into the Hardy Boys / Nancy Drew teen mystery dramas that were big at the time. Further, it made for a fine demonstration of observation and deduction: essential Sherlock Holmes skills, workable to grade schoolers. Not a stellar cartoon, certainly, but commendable on a number of levels.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Pokey J.Anti-Blockhead

Pokey J.Anti-Blockhead Intern Forum Member New Member

Not coming from a fan but you left 1971 without mentioning Pebbles & Bamm Bamm';s show!
    • Like Like x 1
  4. emeraldisle

Actually, I didn't. I included it in my Flintstones thread. See, what I do in these threads, is, if a show has one or more spinoffs or iterations, I include them all in one thread. It's easier that way.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. artytoons

artytoons Administrator I SUPPORT BCDB! Forum Member New Member

Keye Luke had played Charlie Chan's Number One Son in the 1940s Charlie Chan movies with Sidney Toler and Warner Oland playing Charlie Chan. Keye Luke played the voice of Charlie Chan in this show. Luke was also co-starring as Blind Master Po in the "Kung Fu" series at the time "Chan" was airing on Saturday Morning.

The show was interesting to see with the Chan Kids as fully Americanized teens...and not bound to stereotypes (laundry gags, speaking broken English, etc). Ron Dante, who performed as the lead singer in the Archies songs, performed the songs that the Chan Clan Band sang. The cartoon show was faithful to the original Charlie Chan novels by Earl Derr Biggers in that Charlie Chan had 12 kids...Chan was a widower who worked for the Honolulu Police Department.

I liked the cartoon although the show had too many characters and the kids were too bumbling and the laugh track in some episodes was pretty awful. Future MASH star Jamie Farr was a series story writer and admitted in a DVD extra segment that the Chan Clan show was difficult to write because of the large cast.

Terrytoons had a Charlie Chan cartoon series as one idea in development in the 1960s but no pilot cartoon was ever produced.
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. MattPriceTime

MattPriceTime Intern Forum Member New Member

This show was my first exposure to Charlie Chan in general. My youthful detective interests were naturally more heading to Holmes and the Hardy boys. Mr Chan as a literary character would not get into my head for many more years. However this show i glimpsed during CN's weekend mysteries incorporated block. Another show that fought it out for the third spot. My memory of this show were pretty blanket based. I remember several kids, the car, but not really any of the episodes.

When the DVD came it was time to go back on the case and while the show delivers it also showcases one of it's major gambles. 12 main characters on the team is very much a large number to move around in the 30 minute mystery cartoon. Josie was pushing it in space with 8, but this was a big one. So it sometimes shows when they split into larger groups, but that's going with the territory. It's not so much a bad problem, as much as a sign that it could have been done a little better.

One of the shining things to say here is that Henry/Stanley have a fantastic dynamic. I enjoy the amount of time they usually get and it's a very good thing. They play off one another really well. It's really a nice shining spot in a show that while entertaining really wouldn't register high on my favorites board. Even though the amount of votes it got in Warner Archive's cartoon poll makes me think this show was more remembered than i would have guessed. It did stay on CN for a while, so i would not be surprised if there's a good number of people my age that dug it.

Also Ron Dante giving more music is also pretty great. And while i don't think intentional the stock footage they use of Chan and the two kids grooving to the music, is a fantastic unintentional bit of comedy to me. And also i would really like my own chan van. But hey i can dream.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. artytoons

The Chan Kids:

Henry (Robert Ito)- oldest son, wore orange shirt, serious, irritated by Stanley's constant wisecracks.
    Stanley (Lennie Weinrib)-second oldest son, dark green shirt, comedian, likes to disguise himself which others guess who he is immediately,"Wham Bam, We're in a Jam!"
    Suzie (Cherylene Lee)-oldest daughter, turquoise dress...not much of a distinctive personality other than following the group and meddling in her dad's investigations.
    Tom (John Gunn)- wore thick framed glasses, white shirt and vest, used big words in conversations, brains
    Alan (Brian Tochi)-wore tinted wire-framed glasses, wore purple shirt and bell bottom pants, inventor, created the changable Chan Van.
    Anne (Jodie Foster)- tomboy, wore baseball cap, orange/white t-shirt and jeans, wanted to do things the boys do.
    Flip (Gene Andrusco)- wore a porkpie hat and lime green collared shirt, used police code slang and hard-boiled detective novel cliches in his dialogue.
    Nancy (Beverly Kushida)-ponytail, chubby, wore purple t shirt, hates confrontation, likes food.
    Mimi (Cherylene Lee)-youngest daughter, yellow shirt and hair band, bossed Scooter around often.
    Scooter (Michael Morgan)-youngest son, red shirt, tended to repeat everything Flip says.

When the kids split up to investigate the different leads in their pop's criminal cases, the groups were usually split into

Henry/Stanley
    Suzie/Anne/Alan/Tom
    and
    Flip/Nancy/Mimi/Scooter

From some accounts, there were different voice actors when the series was cast and they were actually all Asian actors but the accents made the voice recordings difficult to understand. Only Keye Luke as Charlie Chan, Ito, and Tochi were retained from the original cast and the listed voice actors above were replacements and listed in the final credits and their voices were heard for all 16 episodes in the series.

I do not believe there was any episode aired with the full set of the original voice actors performing. (Luke, Ito, Tochi, Stephen Wong as Stanley, Virginia Ann Lee as Suzie, Mitchell Sakamoto as Tom, Leslie Kumamota as Anne, Jay Jay Jue as Flip, Debbie Jue as Nancy, Leslie Kawai as Mimi, and Robin Toma as Scooter)
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. emeraldisle

And Chu-Chu the dog, who could imitate a police siren as well as bark.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. MattPriceTime

MattPriceTime Intern Forum Member New Member

Also did anyone else by just seeing Chu-Chu think he was a cat at first? I know i did, and my friend did when i showed it to her. Are we alone in making that mistake?
    • Like Like x 1
  10. emeraldisle

Trivia Question 65: How many Chan kids were in the band?
    • Like Like x 1
  11. artytoons

...and what Chan kid played which instrument?
    • Like Like x 1
  12. emeraldisle

Right. Originally, I did add that part.. Thanks. :)
    • Like Like x 1
  13. emeraldisle

Trivia Answer: Five. Henry on drums, Stanley on lead guitar, Susie on tambourine, Tom on trumpet, and Alan on trombone.
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  14. artytoons

Voiced by Don Messick, who also played various law enforcement figures, suspects, and side characters. Lennie Weinrib also played various suspects, law enforcement figures, and side characters as well.

Hazel Shermit, best known as the voice of Henrietta Hippo in "The New Zoo Revue", played various female characters along with Janet Waldo and Lisa Gerritson. Paul Winchell performed in one episode without any voice credit.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. artytoons

In 1971, Hanna-Barbera did a presentation reel for a planned prime time series about a family with 12 children and a dog and a changeable RV motor home touring various parts of America with actual photos of landmarks used as backgrounds for the cartoon action. The title was "Duffy's Dozen". The show didn't sell but elements of the series did carry over to the Chan Clan show in 1972 with the ten kids, a dog, a changeable mode of transportation in the Chan Van, and in later episodes, the Chan family on a travel tour and solving mysteries.

• Like Like x 1
  16. bidenpriece

bidenpriece Newbie New Member

I liked the cartoon although the show had too many characters and the kids were too bumbling and the laugh track in some episodes was pretty awful. Future MASH star Jamie Farr was a series story writer and admitted in a DVD extra segment that the Chan Clan show was difficult to write because of the large cast.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. MrCleveland

MrCleveland Key Animator Forum Member New Member

I wouldn't mind seeing Charlie Chan be revived...but it should have some connections with Jackie Chan.

But with the world as we speak...we may see this the day The Cleveland Baseball Club Wins The World Series!...
    • Like Like x 1
  18. spiceagent11

spiceagent11 Newbie New Member

His voice also sounds a bit forced at times. Graphics are awesome however but in my opinion they would have done better focusing more on a character like Danny Rand/ Iron Fist, his character is one that kids can look up to. Or they should tone down spider-man