1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

The Mystery Cartoon Character Game, ongoing-ier.

Discussion in 'Free-For-All' started by oneuglybunny, Dec 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Awwww, man! I just now saw this animated minifilm on YouTube. It's the three brothers from "The Tale Of The Three Brothers" from "Tales Of Beedle The Bard."
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. saltyboot

saltyboot A Moderating Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

That's right, it's the three brothers from The Tale Of The Three Brothers.

The animated segment is from Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1.
    They are only known as the Three Brothers.
    The last three clues are self-explanatory, but I wanted to point out that the humble brother revealed himself to Death after he had lived a full life. Whereas the other two brothers' deaths were untimely.

Your turn! [thumbup]
  3. emeraldisle

Thanks. But enough of this downbeat stuff. Here are some clues that are a bit more upbeat:

1. My special is mostly based on a book series by the author.

2. I cast the whole neighborhood gang in the movie of my life, and even sing a song about each of them.

3. My voice actress is a singer-songwriter best known for weaving her own "Tapestry."
  4. FluidGirl

FluidGirl Moderator Staff Member Forum Member New Member

Really Rosie! Don't know what else I'm gonna say about it, but this is just filler because of the board's rules.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. emeraldisle

Good job, Fluidgirl. Three cheers. :)

1. The special was mostly based on Sendak's "Nutshell Library." It was a mashup of those books, and "The Sign On Rosie's Door."

2. Rosie cast the gang in her movie, and sang the following songs about them: Johnny, in "One Was Johnny," Alligator in "Alligators All Around," Pierre, in "I Don't Care," and last but not least, Chicken Soup, in "Chicken Soup With Rice." She also sang the title song about herself.

3. Her voice actress was Carole King, of "Tapestry" fame.
  6. FluidGirl

Give me some time to think up a new character. I have to consult the list first. And maybe mein sister.

EDIT: Didn't take me long at all! I believe I have one:

1. I'm part of a TV special that was based on a record album

2. My song is about a certain toy that I really want, but my father doesn't want to give it to me

3. My song is performed by a man who's best known as a surgeon in Korea, and a woman who's best known for playing an aspiring actress in New York
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  7. emeraldisle

This requires a lot of thought. Perhaps someone else is more familiar with it than I am.
  8. FluidGirl

*sigh* okay, let's see if I can dig up some more clues

4. My grandmother ends up giving me the toy I desire

5. During the song, I'm teased just because I want this toy

6. The special my song is from has both animated and live action segments
  9. emeraldisle

I've got it now. It's William, from the "William's Doll" segment of "Free To Be...You And Me."
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. FluidGirl

YES! I hoped someone would get that! Way to go, Em! I had mentioned my guessing of "Really Rosie" to mein sister (we own a copy of "Really Rosie" on VHS), and that got into a discussion of "Free To Be . . . . You and Me," (I have the CD versions of both "Really Rosie" and "Free to Be . . . You and Me") which is where I came up with using this character. Now for the clue breakdown:

1. "Free To Be . . . You and Me" was a children's record album before it was a TV special

2. William wants a doll, but his father doesn't want to give him one

3. The song is sung by Alan Alda ("M*A*S*H*"), and Marlo Thomas ("That Girl") (and I had to edit the post a couple of times because I thought "M*A*S*H*" took place in Vietnam, then I showed mein sister the post, and she said it was Korea. Oops!)

4. William's grandmother eventually gives William a doll

5. The chorus of the song consists of, in a teasing tone: "A doll! A doll! William wants a doll!"

6. "Free to Be . . . You and Me" featured both animated and live action segments
  11. emeraldisle

Thanks, Fluidgirl. Now here's another I held back for quite a while:

1. I was animated only once, back in 1978, along with other comic strip characters who'd been animated for another series seven years previously.

2. I live in a land whose name may make you think of a cow.

3. According to a classic song about me, I have, among other things, a big ugly club and a head full of hair.
  12. FluidGirl

I definitely know this, but I'll wait it out, considering I had the last turn.
  13. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

How gracious, FluidGirl, thank you. Now I can chime in with Alley Oop the caveman, created in 1932 by Vincent Hamlin. I know that Alley Oop was adapted into animation by Filmation Studios for their Fabulous Funnies series. Alley Oop hails from the land called Moo, which is often depicted about where Switzerland lies on a map.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. emeraldisle

Good job as always, OUB. You win again. As for the third clue, there was a song about him by the Hollywood Argyles, from 1960. :) So the ball's in your court again.
  15. FluidGirl

I have to get something out of my system:

Alley Oop
    He's the toughest man there is alive
    Alley Oop
    Wears clothes from a wildcat's hide
    Alley Oop
    He's the king of the jungle jive
    Look at that cave man gooooo!
    Alley Oop, oop, oop, oop, oop, oop
    Alley Oop, oop, oop, oop, oop, oop

Sorry, I love that song!
  16. Glowworm

Glowworm Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

I actually had no idea what that song was about as a kid. I never even heard of that character.
  17. oneuglybunny

Ah, good ol' Alley Oop. A real caveman's caveman, with the Popeye forearms and all. His nine-to-five job is clubbing dinosaurs. Those were the good old days. Anyway, time to think up a new character, someone that hasn't been touched before. Oho, he'll do.

1) This character has appeared only once in a Blended Medium feature film, mostly live actors with an animated segment added.

2) Usually, these Blended Medium things have the cartoon character bumble into the Real World, such as Roger Rabbit or Rocky and Bullwinkle. This is the reverse: the live actor gets cartoonized, and finds himself dealing with the hazards of the cartoon universe.

3) Networks, of course, will do anything to get better ratings. The network that cartoonizes this character is clearly morally bankrupt, which should come as no surprise, considering who the target audience is.
  18. emeraldisle

I truly have no idea. Let someone else take a stab at it.
  19. peterhale

peterhale Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Beats me, so far...
    More clues please!
  20. oneuglybunny

Pardon long pause: lingering headache. I get one a year, no idea why. Anyway ...

4) There's not much chance that this character will recur, since the comic actor that got cartoonized died in 2003. Fortunately, his costar is still living to this point. She was likewise cartoonized, because in-universe she was married to this character.

5) As a live actor, this character is human; as a cartoon, he's a mouse. Literally, the big-ears, nose-whiskers, triangular-cheese eating kind of mouse. The wife, too.

6) Naturally, this character is menaced by a cat. Fortunately, this character has watched enough cartoons (Tom and Jerry, mayhaps?) to know exactly what to do about bothersome cats.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.