1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

The Mystery Cartoon Character Game, ongoing-ier.

Discussion in 'Free-For-All' started by oneuglybunny, Dec 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

I've found it! It's Speedy, the Alka Seltzer mascot! All I had to do was look up "Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius," and presto!
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. peterhale

peterhale Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Speedy Alka Seltzer it is!

1) He was named Sparky by the creative team that dreamt him up, but the Sales Manager pointed out that the coming campaign was to be built around the idea of "speedy relief" and suggested they call him Speedy.
    2) One series of commercials featured Buster Keaton.
    3) Dick Beals, voice of Ralph Phillips (From A to Z-Z-Z-Z) and Davey (Davey and Goliath) among many others, was the voice of Speedy.
    4) see 1)
    5) In 1971 model of Speedy got lost en route to a commercials shoot in the Philippines. It turned up 5 years later in a warehouse in Australia..
    6) The new voice of Speedy is Debi Derryberry, who voiced Jimmy Neutron.

Good work, Emeraldisle! Take it away...
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. emeraldisle

Thanks, Pete. Now here's a good one:

1. I'm the villainess in an animated sequel to a classic live action film.

2. My henchman is a Halloween-themed creature posted in the A To Z game.

3. In the end, I'm trampled to death by my own pachyderms.
  4. Glowworm

Glowworm Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

This is Mombi the witch from Journey Back to Oz.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. emeraldisle

Yes, Glowworm, you got it.

1. She was the villainess in that film.

2. Her henchman was Pumpkinhead, whom I posted in the A to Z game.

3. When she turned herself into a rose, her own elephants put an end to her.

So you go again. Good job. :)
  6. Glowworm

Yeah, looked up the plot summery once out of curiosity. Remembered the crushed by elephants part.
    Here's one for the upcoming holiday.
    1. I appear in a 1997 Halloween special.
    2. I am the oldest of a trio of witches.
    3. Thanks to the rotten behavior of my sisters at the witches' ball last year and my inability to control them, we are banned from it this year.
  7. emeraldisle

I checked all the animated Halloween specials, but couldn't find one from 1997.
  8. peterhale

This must be Abnorma, from Witches in Stitches (Perennial Pictures 1997).
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Glowworm

Good job, Peterhale. I was worried this one would be too obscure for anyone to get.
    Clues are self--explainable.
  10. peterhale

Thanks.

1) In my first short I am hunted by a pair of "George and Lennie" clones. (Not that that narrows it down much!)

2) I usually like my antagonists - they are very funny fellows.

3) For my second film I have been redesigned to be more appealing (or less offensive).
  11. emeraldisle

Another "Speedy" character. This time, it's Speedy Gonzales.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. peterhale

It is indeed!

1) Cats George and Benny are run rings round by a mouse whose calling card names him as "Speedy Gonzalez" (with a final "z") when they look for prey aboard a Mexican ship in Cat-Tails for Two (1953).
    2) Having outmanoeuvred his pursuer, Speedy will often turn to camera and say something along the lines of "I like heem - he is seelly".
    3) In Cat-Tails for Two Speedy has buck teeth (one gold) and a bowl haircut. In Speedy Gonzales (with a final "s", 1955) his features are smaller and cuter, the teeth are gone and a tousled forelock protrudes from beneath a wide sombrero.

Over to you, Emeraldisle...
  13. emeraldisle

Thanks, Pete. Boy, have I got a good one:

1. I appear just once, in an episode that introduces an iconic canine's not-too-bright cousin.

2. I disguise myself as one mean crocodilian.

3. I'm more than just a little miffed about being fired from a soft drink company.
  14. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Methinks this is Alice Dovely, working as a secretary for Pa and Ma Skillett until she can learn the formula for Fenokee Fizz soda. SHe plans to sell this trademark secret to rival Kooky Cola, and doubles as the Gator Ghoul in order to destabilize the Skillett's operations. The Skilletts also are the caretakers of Scooby Dum, first cousin to Scooby Doo.
  15. emeraldisle

OUB, you nailed it. It is indeed Alice Dovely, and for all the reason you provided. So the board is yours again. Good job. :)
  16. oneuglybunny

Goodie, I'm back in action. Oh, surprise, here's a fellow that been overlooked so far. Correcting time.

1) Technically, this character is in the public domain, since he dates way back to Greek and Roman mythology, and likely even earlier than that. In this instance, however, he's had a name change, so in this case, he's copyrighted at the moment.

2) This character first appeared in a completely animated feature film. There are humans in this debut film, but they're all animated; no real live actors goofing up this one. This character went on to appear in more animated features, mostly direct-to-video productions, plus television cartoons and video games. This fellow gets around.

3) Y'know how them astronomers go looking at the stars and planets, and when they see a new one, they get to name it? Well, one astronomer found a new heavenly body (no, not his fiancee), and gave it the same name as this character. Cool, huh?
  17. emeraldisle

This is another that requites a lot of thought.
  18. saltyboot

saltyboot A Moderating Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Well, I'm going to throw a massive brick here and say it's Pinocchio. He fits clue three.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. oneuglybunny

Well, I've learned something. There is a remote planet out there that's been named "Pinocchio" by a pair of Italian astronomers. Not much else is known about it, since it's too far away for meaningful measurement. And Pinocchio was created in 1883 by Carlo Collodi, so he's in the public domain. I could almost call this a right answer, except that Disney's copyrighted version is still named Pinocchio, and that this little wooden boy only goes back to 1883, well after the dissolution of Alexander's Conquests and the fall of the Roman Empire. True, the Achaeans had that wooden horse to gain access past the walls of Ileum, but he's not really a character, just a device.

Sorry, SaltyBoot, it's not Pinocchio, though you did succeed in making me do the research to see if Pinocchio meshed with my clues as written. Props for that. :)
  20. oneuglybunny

Ohmeohmy, I'm overdue to give more clues. Better get on the stick, pronto.

4) This character is a father, and multiple times at that. His debut tends to focus on one offspring in particular. One of those problem children.

5) Despite his glorious white beard, this character is not Santa Claus. That's not a sleigh, those aren't reindeer, he tends to break toys rather than deliver them, and Santa Claus does not have that.

6) And obeying my Golden Rule: this character is not human. Doesn't even like them: "spineless ... savages." Though he mellows by the end of the first feature, I'd still keep a respectful distance from him.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.