1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

The Mystery Cartoon Character Game, ongoing.

Discussion in 'Free-For-All' started by oneuglybunny, Nov 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glowworm

Glowworm Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Oh my gosh. I think I've got it now.
    Panty and Stocking--from Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt. Now, I don't know a huge amount about this anime except for some small bits I've looked up in the past due to curiosity once its popularity skyrocketed. However, I do know that the style resembles the Powerpuff Girls, and the sisters are angels--or rather fallen angels which would appropriately link them to the church refuge.
  2. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Absolutely correct, Glowworm. This crime-fighting duo is Panty and Stocking; Garterbelt is a priest at the church, who gives the girls their assignments. That's girls, which are very unlike the boys Batman and Robin. Panty and Stocking are angels, banished from Heaven until they can vanquish enough malicious spirits that roam their hometown. They usually drive an open-top Jeep they've named "See-Through." Since they are angels, however, they can fly, and do so when the occasion warrants it. The two live in an elevated apartment suite that's connected to the church by a catwalk.

The art style was made as an homage to Craig McCracken's Powerpuff Girls. Each evil ghosts that Panty and Stocking vanquish explodes, done as a live model rigged with an explosive charge. And as the girls change into their angel forms, they recite a prayer: "O pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, O evil spirit born of those drifting between Heaven and Earth, may the thunderous power from the garments of these holy, delicate maidens strike down upon you with great vengeance and furious anger, shattering your loathsome impurity and returning you from whence you came! Repent, [expletive deleted]!"

The series as a whole is a deconstructionist folio, meant to take the genre to absurd lengths, and apply cartoon physics and the Rule Of Cool with abandon. Of course, both angels fling expletives like angry sailors, but part of their charm comes in trying to do the right thing in the most ham-fisted way. Oh, and they have two demons, Scanty and Kneesocks, bedeviling their efforts. It's not family entertainment, but I watch it just for the absurdity and laugh quite a bit. Good for you, Glowworm, that's another +1, and control of the board. :D
  3. Glowworm

Thanks, usually I learn about these sorts of anime through Deviantart. If an anime or cartoon is really popular, it gets tons of front page artwork related to it. Then I wind up looking it up to see what the heck it's all about. The Powerpuff Girls clue helped me a lot.
    Anyhow, here's one I think should be fun.

1. I'm not technically a princess, but I do have a bunch of servants and live in a rather ornate palace of sorts.
    2. I awake to find a handsome stranger gazing longingly upon me.
    3. Although I don't look like it, I am quite a graceful dancer.
  4. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

You got me on this one. Let's see who knows it.
  5. emeraldisle

The only ones who crossed my mind are Mulan and Tiana.
  6. Glowworm

Nope. Tiana actually is a princess--an official Disney princess. Definitely not Mulan either.
  7. Glowworm

Have some more clues.
    4. My lover is a rather unusual one. Not only is he another species, he's also one who on a normal basis would probably consider me dinner.
    5. The musical piece used throughout my scenes would later be used for a popular parody tune revolving around a terrible summer camp.
    6. I can easily be distinguished from my servants as I wear yellow. They wear pink.
  8. emeraldisle

Could it be Hyacinth Hippo from "Fantasia?"
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Glowworm

Yep, it's Hyacinth the Hippo!

1. Hyacinth is a hippo ballerina, yet she does have a bunch of hippo servants and a Grecian temple -like palace.
    2. When Hyacinth awakens from her nap, Ali Ben Gator is adoringly glancing upon her.
    3. Hippos are not known for their grace--Hyacinth is quite light on her toes.
    4. Yeah, an alligator and a hippo--although technically, hippos and alligators are not found in the same places. It would make more sense if there were crocodiles instead, but this is a cartoon, not a nature documentary.
    5. Pretty obvious. Most people can't hear "Dance of the Hours" without either picturing hippos in tutus or singing Alan Sherman's "Camp Grenada" throughout the piece.
    6. Self explanatory. All the other hippos have pink tutus, while Hyacinth's is yellow.
  10. emeraldisle

Thanks. Actually, the Allan Sherman song is "Hello, Muddah. Hello Faddah." But enough about that. Now on to my latest clues:

1. I'm one of the most iconic fictional characters of all time.

2. When animated, I become the father of ten meddling kids.

3. By sheer coincidence, my voice actor played my son in the old live-action movies.
  11. Glowworm

Thanks for correcting me. It's one of those darn songs that tricks you into thinking the chorus is the name of the song.
  12. emeraldisle

You're welcome. :) That song really tickles my funnybone. :)
  13. Glowworm

Mine too, I've got a great love for old classics. I'm a huge sixties music lover, and I love a lot of songs that have been around longer than me.
  14. oneuglybunny

Wow, does that clue seal the deal: this must be legendary detective Charlie Chan, father of the Amazing Chan Clan. Naturally, EmeraldIsle cannot curb her enthusiasm for the works of Joe Barbera and Bill Hanna, perhaps in spite of the fact that MGM Studios did so. :D
  15. emeraldisle

OUB, you nailed it again. Since the first two clues are self-explanatory, I'll explain the third one. He was voiced by Keye Luke, who played Number One Son in the old films. So step up once again, OUB. Great job. :)
  16. oneuglybunny

Ah, yes, the eager and excitable number one son, the very opposite of his patient, methodical father.

Yow, here's an untapped vein. Imagine that. :)

1) This is a public domain character. He's been around a long, long time, predating any copyright clauses.

2) It helps that there really was such a person in history, though for this particular adaptation, oodles of artistic liberties were taken.

3) This character fights the primary villain of the story, but does not vanquish the foe. That honor is left to two others of much lower rank.
  17. emeraldisle

Sorry. Haven't the slightest idea. I thought of one, until I remembered he was no soldier, and had no enemies to fight.
  18. saltyboot

saltyboot A Moderating Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

I'm not coming up with any ideas either.
  19. emeraldisle

The only one I can think of now is Beowulf.

1. No known author, so no copyright. And the epic poem is the oldest one in English Literature.

2. Beowulf is considered a real person. And the 2007 animated movie did take many liberties with the original text.

3. He fought Grendel, but failed to destroy Grendel's mother.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. oneuglybunny

It took me a while to research the story of Beowulf, but ultimately, yes, Beowulf meets every criteria of the clues given, and therefore constitutes a correct answer. It's tough for me personally to regard motion-capture as "animation," even though it is catalogued as such; that method strikes me as much more an elaborate camera filter than "real" animation. However, an accurate answer is a right answer, regardless of which character I had in mind, so Emeraldisle collects another +1, and control of the board. I'll pluck another character from the same currently-unused feature on another turn. :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.