1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

The Mystery Cartoon Character Game, ongoing.

Discussion in 'Free-For-All' started by oneuglybunny, Nov 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peterhale

peterhale Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

I did think that this would go quickly!

I've checked the UCL and this character has not been used. I have, however, added an extra parenthesis to clue 4 to make what I mean clearer (making it a definite contender for most convoluted clue ever!)
  2. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Pete, you're right. It should have gone faster. So forget what I said earlier The answer is Lois Lane!
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. peterhale

peterhale Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Lois Lane it is!

Explanations:

1) Lois appeared in the first Superman story, in Action Comics #1, and as Clark Kent's colleague she remained a regular character. The Fleischers animated her in the 40s, for the big screen, and she features in the various animated Superman TV series, as well as having odd cameos in other DC crossovers.

2) Lois Lane, intrepid reporter, has a tendency to get into tight corners in pursuit of a scoop!

3) In the 1997 New Superman Adventures 3-part story "The World's Finest" (The title of a DC comic that started off featuring various superheroes but ended up as the home for tales pairing Superman and Batman) Lois falls for Bruce Wayne, and considers moving from Metropolis (a city that seems to equate with New York) to Gotham City (which also seems to equate with New York).

4) She is one of the main supporting characters in Superman stories.

5) Fleisher Studios (1941-2) and (a technicality - same crew, new studio) Famous Studios (1942-3)
    Filmation Associates (1966-8)
    Ruby-Spears (1988)
    Warner Bros, Television Animation (1996-2000)

6) Dana Delany has said in an interview that when she read through her first Lois Lane script the quickfire dialogue reminded her of His Girl Friday (a screen adaptation of Ben Hecht's 1928 play The Front Page, with the twist that the ace reporter Hildy Johnson is a woman) and so she based her reading on Rosalind Russell's performance. Both Delany and Russell have alliterative initials, but in the Superman universe Lois shares her LL initials with several other characters (Lana Lang, Lex Luthor, Lori Lemaris, Linda Lee, Lightning Lad, etc.) and stories have occasionally played on this 'coincidence'.​

Over to you, Emeraldisle.
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  4. emeraldisle

Thanks, Pete. BTW, Lois also appeared in a handufl of episodes of Hanna-Barbera's "Superfriends." Now her'es one that really guarantees a quick response:

1. Along with my pet, I take an unexpected flight to a myterious destination.

2. In an animated sequel, my voice actress is the daughter of the one who played me in live action.

3. 2014 is a great year for my franchise. Not only do I return in a new animated feature, but my live action movie turns 75, and was honored at the Oscars just the other night.
  5. Glowworm

Glowworm Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Easy indeed, Dorothy Gale.
    1. Dorothy and Toto, her little dog end up in Oz through a cyclone (a tornado in the live action version)
    2. Liza Minnelli voices Dorothy in the 1971 animated sequel "Journey Back to Oz" Minnelli is the daughter of Judy Garland.
    3. Legends of Oz, Dorothy's Return is suppose to come out in 2014. The other half of the clue is quite obvious.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. emeraldisle

Right on all coutns, Glowworm. Except that they ended up in Oz, not Kansas. So take it away. Great job. :)
  7. Glowworm

Egad, that was a careless mistake on my behalf. Of course they end up in Oz--Wasn't thinking when I was typing this out. Also, Glowowrom? :D That's hysterical!

Anyhow, here's a rather simple one.

1. I started out as a webseries, but eventually became popular enough to get my own tv show.
    2. In my webseries, I crack bad jokes, and constantly bother other characters.
    3. Other characters generally die in rather gruesome ways--you may almost forget that they are food.
  8. emeraldisle

There, it's fixed. As for the character, I'm totally stumped, having not actually seen any webseries.
  9. saltyboot

saltyboot A Moderating Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Annoying Orange!

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Glowworm

Yes, it's the Annoying Orange. I used to watch the online series, then eventually quit watching after a while. because the humor was wearing a bit thin for me.

1. The Annoying Orange first showed up on Youtube in 2009, in 2012 a show on Cartoon Network aired called the The High Fructose Adventures of Annoying Orange.
    2. Before other plots and regular characters showed up, the online show mainly revolved around the orange making fun of another type of fruit, such as an apple, food such as cheese, or simply bothering characters such as a football, Santa Claus, and Lady Pasta. (A parody on Lady Gaga) Basically, the orange would make bad puns around the other character, spit seeds and make annoying noises with his tongue.
    3. Usually when the other character is at the height of annoyance, Orange will start going shouting the character's name---to warn them about the knife that's going to kill them quite gruesomely--although there have also been blenders, pots of boiling hot water, and other objects responsible for the characters deaths.
  11. saltyboot

OK, here's another easy one.

I'm a man chaser.
    I don't take “no” for an answer.
    Decades later, there was a homage to me in a movie.
  12. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Could this be Sadie Hawkins from the Li'l Abner universe? The one who inspired Sadie Hawkins Day (29th of February), where single women can essentially pounce and claim any unmarried male? Sadie Hawkins, who had to develop this technique to counter her hip-flask ugliness?
  13. saltyboot

Nope, not Sadie Hawkins.

14. emeraldisle

The only one I can think of is Alexandra Cabot, from "Josie And The Pussycats."

1. She relentlessly chases after Alan Mayberry.

2. She doens't take "no" for an answer, ever.

3. There was a homage to her in the live action "Josie And The Pussycats" movie.
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  15. saltyboot

Nope, not Alexandra. Here are the last three clues. (I don't think I'll be able to come up with a third set.)

In my short, the original ending had been cut.
    I appeared in another short, but with a different name.
    I am human, but the guy I'm after is uh, well, ... not.
  16. Glowworm

Oh, but of course--Grandma from "Red Hot Riding Hood"

1. Granny's pretty lusty if you ask me.
    2. She also just won't quit.
    3. I was actually going to go with this character until you posted more clues: If I'm not mistaken "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" has a sequence in which Eddie Valient accidently encounters Lena Hyena (a Lil' Abner character known as the world's ugliest woman) who goes lustfully chasing after him.
    4. Supposedly, there was an ending in which Grandma has herself a shotgun wedding with the wolf (the priest looks like Avery) and then they and their halfbreed children go to see Red perform at the nightclub.Naturally, this was scrapped for an ending in which the wolf commits suicide instead.
    5. In "Swing Shift Cinderella" there is a fairy godmother who also goes crazy for the wolf--she's quite similar to grandma.
    6. Obvious--Grandma has fallen for a real live wolf.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. saltyboot

That's right Glowworm. Also, I didn't know about that connection between Lena (WFRR) and Lil' Abner.

You're up.
  18. Glowworm

Yes indeed, Lena Hyena originated in Lil' Abner comics as the world's ugliest woman. She was never actually seen at first, merely drawn from the neck down, or her face was covered in censor bars and word balloons. She was said to be so ugly, that anyone who saw her would go insane, and unable to properly describe what she actually looked like. In 1946, Al Capp held a national contest for fans to draw their depictions of Lena Hyena. The winner was Basil Wolverton.
    lena hyena - Google Search
    Yeah, the one in Roger Rabbit looks a lot better in comparison.

Anyhow, I got one.

1. I too am a man chaser.
    2. However, I am not human.
    3. The one I am after is late for his own wedding.
  19. emeraldisle

The only one I could find was Bertha the mouse, from "Marriage Wows," and I doubt if it's her.
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  20. Glowworm

Nope, not Bertha the Mouse.

4. The short I'm in is in black and white.
    5. It's also live action.
    6. I make a fetching blonde--but my nose gets in the way.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.