1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

The Thief and the Cobbler, the Film That Took Over 20 Years to Make

Discussion in 'Other / Multiple Studios' started by EyeOdyssey97, Nov 18, 2013.

1. EyeOdyssey97

EyeOdyssey97 Newbie New Member

I don't know if there is already a thread based off of this film, but I would like to speak my thoughts on it.

The Thief and the Cobbler is an animated film by Richard Williams, the animator for Who Framed Roger Rabbit. It originally began production as a film based on a book for which he did illustrations that were based on the philosopher Nasreddin. It started off as “Nasrudin!” but after a conflict on who owned the rights, Nasrudin was replaced with The Thief and the Cobbler.

It really got up off the ground sometime around 1975. The film took an eternity to work on. Two of the actors who did voices for it actually died before it was even near completion. Vincent Price and Anthony Quayle to be specific. Eventually, the film was taken away from Williams and production after that was handed over to Fred Calvert, a man known for Saturday morning cartoons. Calvert had one intention, to finish the film as quickly (and cheaply) as possible. Instead of completing the unfinished 15 minutes or so left in the film, he went ahead and completely changed it. Rewriting the dialogue, padding on pointless musical numbers, reanimating scenes, and rerecording dialogue. The film was eventually "completed" by multiple studios. None of the "complete" versions of the film even resembling the original concept that Richard Williams had. One of the versions being a cash in on Aladdin. All released versions of the film did poorly in the box office.

It's not all a loss though. Cut to 2006 and filmmaker Garrett Gilchrist began to work on a non-profit reedit of The Thief and the Cobbler, making it as loyal to the original concept as possible. This project went under the name The Thief and the Cobbler: The Recobbled Cut. The Recobbled Cut is updated frequently with new sources being discovered. It's right now in it's Mark 4 stage and is available on YouTube. If I recall correctly, Richard Williams himself actually approves of the project. Gilchrist also rediscovered some of Williams' shorts like The Sailor and the Devil and The Little Island.
    [​IMG]
    Anyway, on to the film. It takes quite a bit of inspiration from the 1924 film The Thief of Bagdad. The animation is fantastic. It shifts through multiple angles and locations frequently. Moving through three dimensional fields. Some entire shots go down staircases following the characters that it's focused on. All without CGI. Most of these scenes were never included in the released versions of the film.
    [​IMG]
    The animation is also very smooth. It flows perfectly with the art style used for it. The two major characters never speak. One being Charlie Chaplin like (Tack the Cobbler), and the other being more Wile E. Coyote-ish (The Thief). The entire film is in a way silent. The story is told mostly through the visuals. The soundtrack comprises of parts from Scheherazade, and bits of music that Williams himself wrote.

Well, I think I went on for long enough, I already made enough of a monologue. I would recommend to look up the film on Wikipedia first to get the full story, and to watch the Recobbled Cut after.

The first 11 minutes of the restored version of the film.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. IronCookuru

IronCookuru Laced with plenty of "confidence" (Admin team) Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

The Cobbled together Edition (the one by Gilchrist) really is the most faithful version available in regards to what Williams always intended. Definitely a must see for animation fans!