1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

The Voice Of Shaggy Silenced Forever.

Discussion in 'Cartoon News' started by emeraldisle, Jun 15, 2014.

1. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Casey Kasem, the longtime host of "American Top 40," and the longtime voice of Norville "Shaggy" Rogers on "Scooby-Doo, Where Are You?" and most of its spinoffs, died this morning at age 82, after a long, debillitating illness.

Born in Detroit on April 7, 1932, he appeared in many live action TV shows and movies before becoming a cartoon voice actor. Aside from Shaggy, he also voiced Robin on both "The Batman/Superman Hour," and all iterations of "Superfriends." Not to mention Groove on "The Catanooga Cats Show,"Alexander Cabot III on "Josie And The Pussycats," and "Josie And The Pussycats In Outer Space," Mark on "Battle Of The Planets," and many other major and minor cartoon characters from Hanna- Barbera and other animation studios.

But most people know him for hosting "American Top 40" from July 1970-1989, and again, briefly in this new millenium. He also hosted the TV show, "America's Top Ten" from 1980-1989, and also for a year in the early 90's. The first time I heard AT 40 was in the summer of 1977, when I said, "I know that voice! It's Alex from "Josie And The Pussycats!" A year later, I was hooked and listened religiously until the end of the 80's.

RIP, Mr. Kasem. You left one of the greatest legacies of all time. :( :( :( :( :( :(
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. RascalsFan84

RascalsFan84 Inbetweener Forum Member New Member

Sad loss, and on Father's Day of all days.

Also, worthy of mentioning, Casey Kasem also narrated several segments on the kids' show Sesame Street. One of his segments, B for Bandit, was featured briefly in the movie E.T.: The Extra Terrestrial.

I do admit that I never heard American Top 40 until July 1982 while on a road trip. It wasn't until October 18, 1986 that I started listening to the countdowns from beginning to end (I have that particular show in MP3 format now, as a rebroadcast of that show aired in 2012). When Casey resigned in August 1988, Shadoe Stevens took over, and he did a pretty good job, though Casey really made the countdowns count. The original run of American Top 40 was cancelled in January 1995 and I was heartbroken, but when Casey rebooted the show in 1998, I was on cloud nine for sure. Ryan Seacrest took over in 2004, and after listening to part or all of his first show, I stopped listening to AT40 forever and haven't tuned in since.

Though I may make a special exception and I may listen to the current American Top 40 in the coming weeks to find out if Ryan Seacrest will be doing a tribute to the late Casey Kasem and the late Tom Rounds (two guys that helped create AT40 - the latter having passed away very recently too).

And just to clarify, Casey Kasem hosted the original run of American Top 40 from July 4, 1970 until August 6, 1988.
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Glowworm

Glowworm Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Yeah, it is pretty sad, I unfortunately was familiar with Kasem due to him voicing Shaggy rather than as a radio host. In fact, I just mentioned about his passing away to my mother, who asked"Who's that?" and I told her that he was a radio host--but also mentioned that he voiced Shaggy. She immediately recognized that second bit of information and said "Aw, Shaggy's dead!" :(

He had a great voice for cartoons.
    Also, he voiced this one rather fun segment on Sesame Street.
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. saltyboot

saltyboot A Moderating Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Also worth noting, he had a cameo in Ghostbusters. In the movie, he talked about the group on his radio show.

RIP, Mr. Kasem. :(
    • Like Like x 1
  5. artytoons

artytoons Administrator I SUPPORT BCDB! Forum Member New Member

Another early memory of Casey Kasem was his performance as bad guy and reckless racer Dexter Carter in the "Hot Wheels" cartoon series. Other Kasem cartoon voices I enjoy was as Cliffjumper, Bluestreak, Tele-tran 1, and Dr. Arkeville on "The Transformers" and as Waldo on "What's New Mr. Magoo".

He was the voice for NBC's prime-time tv line-up promos in the 1970s and 1980s and the commercial bumpers for NBC's Saturday Cartoon line-up in that time, as well. Memorable voice.

I just hope his widow and his kids from his first marriage can get along...
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. wiley207

wiley207 Intern Forum Member New Member

This picture I took sums it up...
    [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 2
  7. MrCleveland

MrCleveland Key Animator Forum Member New Member

He was the radio voice!

It's a shame that he's gone!
  8. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

My understanding is that the America's Top 40 host persona many people know and recognize: affable, genial, upbeat ... this was also his off-air demeanor as well. It is known that Joe Barbera could be picky about who Hanna-Barbera Studios hired for their voice talent pool. Therefore, Casey Kasem must've been doing something mighty right to get so many call-backs. And Kasem was known for his patience with youngsters who knew him only as "Shaggy." So, as the trusted face of America's pop radio, and the voice who made legions of children happy, I must applaud the man who did oodles of good, just because it suited him. Bravo, sir!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Bill Lewis

Bill Lewis Animator Forum Member New Member

Thank goodness for this thread, as it seems most of the media either concentrated on his health and family problems,or mistakenly credited him as the voice of Scooby-Doo. Plus,you'd think other disc jockeys or radio people would have some suitable on air memorial for such a major broadcaster. Instead, all I hear is that outtake reel that's been around for years, with Kasem swearing and yelling at his staff. There's a reason why he's so well remembered, I wish more people concentrated on that.
  10. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

I know just what you mean, Bill. An HD2 radio station said they'd play an AT40 marathon in his honor this past weekend, beginning at 6.am. I tuned in at that early hour, and the first thing I said was ,"Where the heck is Casey?" Luckily, there are many other stations on which I can hear these rebroadcasts.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Bill Lewis

Bill Lewis Animator Forum Member New Member

Fortunately,one of our local stations (in St Louis)has been rebroadcasting AT40 shows from the 70's for quite some time now on Sunday mornings. Most of the songs are still familiar today,but every once in a while there'll be one that makes me go ''Whoa,haven't heard that one in years!".
  12. RascalsFan84

RascalsFan84 Inbetweener Forum Member New Member

Casey also played a minor voice role on "2 Stupid Dogs". He also appeared on two episodes of "Saved by the Bell", including the NBC premiere.

Also, one year after he retired from radio broadcasting, he did reprise his AT40 role in a commercial where Casey was seen on a bus.

I did learn that, when 2009 came around, recording sessions of Casey's AT40 spinoffs, American Top 20 and American Top 10, we're getting longer and longer to produce. There was an increase in guest-hosted shows during the six months of broadcasts in 2009. I remember reading somewhere that it took eleven hours to record Casey's final week of shows. This was perhaps a telltale sign that his health was deteriorating at that point.

The weekend after Casey passed, Ryan Seacrest did some Casey tributes throughout the episode aired on June 21, 2014. Ryan mentioned that Casey inspired his broadcasting career.
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    • Like Like x 1