1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

They Decorated My Life.

Discussion in 'Hanna-Barbera' started by emeraldisle, Aug 14, 2014.

1. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Now my final thoughts on Hanna-Barbera.

Bill and Joe created a multitude of unforgettable characters. They entertained me on my good days, cheered me up on my bad days, and seemed to be there whenever my TV set was on. In short, these cartoons were like animated comfort food. And I had the good fortune of actually meeting Joe at an animation art gallery here in Boston. He gave me a small autographed "group picture" of the studio's best-known characters. That gallery has long since closed, sad to say.

But they were present in much more than TV shows and movies. There were PSA's and TV ads. In the late 70's, some of them introduced the live action shows "Time Out," and "Ask NBC News." They could be found in books, comic strips, comic books, coloring and sticker books, T-shirts, coffee mugs, drinking cups, and even on a wide variety of lunchboxes. Not to mention a theme park ride that I went on several times before it closed. And of course, there were all those Hanna-Barbera toys, which I've been buying for myself, or getting as gifts ever since the mid '60's. BTW, I never took Flintstones vitamins, or had Pebbles or Smurfberry Crunch cereals for breakfast.

H-B also animated the opening sequences of "Bewitched," and the live action film "Popeye." Plus, they produced many live action TV shows and movies not covered in my previous threads. These included the series "Benji, Zax, And The Alien Prince," and "Going Bananas," and the live action movies like "The Gathering," "C.H.O.M.P.S," and the infamous "KISS Meets The Phantom Of The Park."

But Bill and Joe didn't do it alone. They had on hand artists like Dan Gordon, Marty Murphy, Iwao Takamoto, and my all-time favorite, Alex Toth. Music men Hoyt Curtin, Paul DeKorte, and Ted Nichols. Writers Mike Maltese, Warren Foster, Joanna Lee, Ed Brandt, Dalton Sandifer, Walter Black, Tony Benedict, Joe Ruby, and Ken Spears. Additional staffers Roberta Gruetert, Robert "Tiger" West, Star Wirth, Joed Eaton, and Volus Jones. And last, but not least, the voice actors, including Mel Blanc, Daws Butler, Don Messick, Alan Reed, Jean Vanderpyl, Janet Waldo, John Stephenson, Henry Corden, Mike Road, Paul Winchell, Frank Welker, Casey Kasem, and countless others.

If I could upload a musical tribute to them like Fluidgirl did, my song of choice would "You Decorated My Life," by Kenny Rogers. Listen to the lyrics, and you'll agree it's more than appropriate.

Cheers to Hanna-Barbera! :)
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. artytoons

artytoons Administrator I SUPPORT BCDB! Forum Member New Member

Hanna-Barbera was the top studio by the executives of then-3 major tv networks (NBC, CBS, and ABC up to the 1980s) to provide programming for their Saturday morning and occasional primetime schedules, particularly by Fred Silverman, who served as chief of CBS daytime, ABC primetime, and NBC daytime and prime-time from the 1960s to the 1980s. When the top network brass considered this studio as the "go-to" place for new programming without hesitation for over 30 years , that is a sign of high respect.

H-B delivered with polished presentations on time and within budget and with story and series themes that offer a wide range of topics, storylines, and lesson teaching , often filling 2 to 3 hours on each network schedule every season. H-B's business know-how and relationships with network executives helped keep their programs in a high-profile public eye while their own original ideas and adaptations of well-known established ideas got the creative juices flowing.

Animation purists may grouse about the "limited tv animation/reused character poses/moving backgrounds" style but to program several hours of tv network time each week, H-B's "illustrated radio" concept as their animation approach with bright presentations, appealing character designs, peppy theme music, talented voice performers, and varied storytelling themes did well in the long term.

With so many series in the Hanna-Barbera canon...one just can't be fixated on one show as the studio's most defining series.

There is just too much good stuff that Hanna-Barbera produced to stop at just one.
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

During their heyday, around 1975, Hanna-Barbera was airing ten cartoon series across the Big Three networks. Bill Hanna mentions in his biography that he was compelled to scour the Earth for overseas studios, because Hanna-Barbera and Disney and Warner Brothers had pretty much tapped out the local crop of talent. Ruby-Spears studios got their start with HB, as did Southern Star. Television is always ravenously hungry for content, and Hanna-Barbera discovered early that feeding the TV monster is a good way to keep animation alive and profitable.

Also, part of the difficulty of naming a defining series for Hanna-Barbera is that they refused to be pigeonholed into one or two milieu. They had haywire comedy series, domestic comedy, romantic comedy, dramatic-comedy, and a few straight dramatic series. They ran to cave-man days, early history, recent history, present day, and future-speculative. The characters played out their comedy / drama on land, under the sea, flying among the clouds, rocketing through outer space, deep in the concrete jungle, out on the farm, or deep in the wild. It's almost like they were aiming for every conceivable permutation of cartoon scenario. Clearly, Joe Barbera and Bill Hanna never met a cartoon they didn't like. :)
    • Like Like x 1
  4. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

And lest I forget, the theme songs, underscores, and sound effects are available on a four-CD set from Rhino.