1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

Three Failed 90's Cartoons

Discussion in 'Toons for Big Kids' started by Dave Koch, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Dave Koch

Dave Koch Cartoon Admin

In the early 90's, there was three Prime-Time Cartoons that tried to 1-UP "The Simpsons" in the same time-frame. And all three just lasted one season with lousy reviews.

These shows were...

"Capitol Critters"
    "Fish Police"
    "Family Dog"

And what did "The Simpsons" do...make fun of their downfall in a "Treehouse of Horror" episode!

Does anyone know about these shows?
  2. Robert Bischoff

Robert Bischoff Newbie New Member

Dear Mr. Koch:

I remember the cartoons you mention here...but only barely.

"Capitol Critters" mostly involved a family of mice living under the U.S. Capitol (I think, or somewhere in D.C.).
    It may have been conceived by Steven Bochco as a way of keeping Neil Patrick Harris off the unemployment line
    (he did at least one voice here), but even though Hanna-Barbera was involved with the production, it didn't do
    them any favors. HB was also involved with "Fish Police", and that did them even fewer favors (I watched it once,
    and not again; apparently, that was more than almost everyone else). It was a type of underwater crime drama, and
    all I remember was John Ritter's voice telling us, "I'm a cop who's a carp." (Are you sure you meant "carp" and not
    "crappie" - like the whole show?)

I remember "Family Dog" from its pilot on "Amazing Stories", and that was its best episode. The scene I liked best was
    the one after the house was robbed, and the father kept yelling, "BUT THE DOG WAS HERE!" That was about as involved
    as the dog was otherwise; mostly, his scenes showed him being chased away by people snapping, "Stupid dog!" To their
    (slight) credit, CBS replaced this show for a few weeks with "Toon Nite" - which, one week, was a "Bullwinkle Show" rerun
    (no puppet, though).

(Actually, "The Simpsons" wasn't the only show to spoof these tacky toons - I think "Married With Children" had an episode in
    which "Capitol Critters" was supposedly placed in a "Museum of Failed Television".)

Yours in toon obsession,

Robert Bischoff
    • Like Like x 1
  3. IronCookuru

IronCookuru Laced with plenty of "confidence" (Admin team) Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

The problems with Fish Police were primarily that they needed it to be a "kid friendly" prime time cartoon, but the source material most certainly was NOT kid friendly. It was based on a "hard boiled detective"/noir kind of independent comic book series, which was definitely not for kids. So it managed to alienate its existing fan base and failed to capture any new fans b/c of the exceeding mediocrity of the finished product.

As for Capitol Critters, I watched it and remember liking it. But it definitely couldn't stretch the one dimensional gag of "mice living under the White House" much more than a couple of episodes.
  4. artytoons

artytoons Administrator I SUPPORT BCDB! Forum Member New Member

"Capitol Critters" lasted 7 episodes on ABC primetime. The remaining 6 episodes were shown on Cartoon Network years later. I was hoping for "Pogo" style political satire with caricatures of politicians as members of a parallel government in Max Mouse's rodent/vermin universe under the White House floorboards but the stories mostly dealt with Max's friendship with Jammet the rat, Moze the cockroach, and various non-political characters. Neil Patrick Harris was also starring on "Doogie Howser M.D." at the time.

Bochco had promised actual "Senate" and "Presidential" speech and debate moments on the voice soundtrack but that did not happen.

"Fish Police" lasted 3 episodes on CBS primetime...there were 3 other unaired episodes but it was never shown. The original "Fish Police" comic by Steve Moncuse featured Inspector Gill as a Mick Belker-like undercover police detective who resembled the Catfish detective character (voiced by Robert Guillaume) in the series, rather than the trench-coated Fedora-wearing 30s style detective fish lead character (John Ritter)...and the stories were darker in tone with Inspector Gill being seduced by the vampish Angelfish and seemingly corrupted by the criminal elements in his undersea world. The cartoon version had more of a kid-friendly"Flintstones"-type vibe with punny sealife names for its characters and locations.
    • Informative Informative x 1