1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

Will It Happen Six Years From Now?

Discussion in 'Hanna-Barbera' started by emeraldisle, May 10, 2014.

1. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

As any devoted Hanna-Barbera fan knows, "Sealab 2020" showed man living in an underwater complex in the not too distant future. At that time, the thought of building structures on the ocean floor wasn't even considered. Still, I liked taking a look at something that might happen. The gravity of the situation sank in, as I saw many things that threatened the new environment, like canisters of nuclear waste. No, there were no fish filled with mercury, like the late Marvin Gaye sang about. But the pollution and other ecological issues were there. Which begs the question: Why was such a serious show cancelled after just a year? It certainly deserved a longer run.

After I saw the episode that introduced Tuffy the dolphin, I read an article about a real dolphin named Tuffy, who became the mascot of the U. S. Navy. It was merely a coincidence.

But no, I never saw the sequel, "Sealab 2021." And I hope the three unaired episodes from the original series are found. I'd have liked to have seen them.

On a closing note, underwater hotels are already being built. And if the ocean levels keep rising, underwater dwellings may become a reality before I'm gone.

Trivia Question 60: What was the total number of people who inhabited Sealab?

Answer: 250.
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  2. MattPriceTime

MattPriceTime Intern Forum Member New Member

Ah, Sealab. Time to take a trip back in time to talk about the show that won't happen for another 6 years. So way back when, my experience with Sealab 2020 was when it had a stint in Cartoon Networks 6-7am morning block Cartoon-a-Doodle-Doo. IIRC it shared the time with back part while something more humor based had the top half. And as a little kid seeing something funny go off into Sealab was pretty boring to me. So i had a little bit of lack of interest in Sealab back then.

Fast forward to Adult Swim days, first thought there was "wow i didn't think the original was that good, but this is just stupid". That opinion didn't change but my opinion of the original did. I had already had other shows i had put a pass on surprise me nowadays so i felt Sealab deserved the chance. And now i can say it delivered finally to me.

The underwater theme seems to work better for me now as an adult. Trips to the aquarium may have helped this as well, but even still i find myself more intrigued then i had been as a kid now by Sealab. While i'm not sure i'd call it a favorite still enjoyable. But in a way i really dig shows that can make an impact like this. I guess i like to be surprised by something i had hazy memories of. Maybe i should have given it more of a chance back then, but i was young. Now i get to enjoy Sealab for what it is.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  3. artytoons

artytoons Administrator I SUPPORT BCDB! Forum Member New Member

The 1973 "Super Friends" cartoons had dealt with environmental concerns in most of the stories instead of the expected supervillian/hero clashes...I think perhaps with Aquaman's oceanic territory being an often-used setting in most episodes than Hanna-Barbera thought a series could be built around undersea life alone.

Fred Freiberger was one of the series writers. He previously worked as a producer for the 1960s "Star Trek" series in its third season and later was the producer and story editor for the syndicated "Space: 1999" series with Martin Landau and Barbara Bain. "Space: 1999" was also about colonists in a futuristic space colony.

Ross Martin (Artemis Gordon on "The Wild Wild West") played the voice of Dr. Paul Williams, the Sealab 2020 commander and Chinook Indian.

Ann Jillian played the voice of Gail the diver...she was a child actor who acted into adulthood as a platinum blonde bombshell in the 1970s comedy series "It's A Living".

Pamelyn Ferdin played the voice of Sally Murphy...she played the voice of Precocia Holiday in "The Roman Holidays", Kathy Day in "These Are The Days", and Lucy in several Charlie Brown specials. Very distinctive voice.
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
  4. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Except that "Sealab" premiered a year before "Superfriends."
  5. artytoons

artytoons Administrator I SUPPORT BCDB! Forum Member New Member

Filmation's "Aquaman" solo cartoons ran in the 1960s.

With non-violent story guidelines in place for tv network cartoons in the 1970s, there had to be a shift away from the usual superhero/villain battles in favor of lesson-teaching including environmental concerns. Maybe the reverse is true with the hour long "SuperFriends" show following "Sealab 2020's" lead in presenting stories on protecting the environment, in the sea and on land and in the air.
  6. RascalsFan84

RascalsFan84 Inbetweener Forum Member New Member

Apparently, I do remember hearing tell of an underwater building as early as 1985 - on the game show $ale of the Century, a trip to a location where people would stay in an underwater hotel was offered.

And I agree that underwater dwellings will become reality if sea levels rise - it probably won't happen in our lifetimes.