1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

The Mystery Cartoon Character Game, now with 20% more ongoing.

Discussion in 'Free-For-All' started by oneuglybunny, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Glowworm

Glowworm Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Got one.
    1. The short I appear in is a parody of a classic poem involving a fight in a saloon over a girl.
    2. I am the title character and not at all deadly like the title and the narrator proclaim.
    3. This short was made by a director who would revisit it 6 years later with a more well known dog in my role.
  2. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

I got it! Dangerous Dan McFoo.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Glowworm

Glowworm Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Yes, this is Dangerous Dan McFoo from the Merrie Melodies short of the same name.
    1. This short is a parody of the poem "The Shooting of Dan McGrew" by Robert Service
    2. Dan McFoo is a little dog voiced by Arthur Q. Bryan--basically using what would soon be his "Elmer Fudd" voice.
    3. Tex Avery made a second short similar to this one in 1945 called "The Shooting of Dan McGoo" for MGM starring Droopy as the title character.
  4. emeraldisle

Thanks, Glowworm. Now for another no-brainer:

1. I'm a bad guy named after a playing card.

2. My current animated movie is based on a comic book, and rated R to boot.

3. In my newest movie, which opened today, I'm part of a squad.
  5. saltyboot

saltyboot A Moderating Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

It's the Joker. I was going to use this one too.
    o_O
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. emeraldisle

Sorry to have stolen your thunder, but at least you got it right. Good job. :) Next one's all yours.
  7. saltyboot

Thanks, I got one now.

I'm a hard worker, but the other character is lazy and just wants to play.
    In one animated short, I show him mercy.
    In an older short, I let him freeze to death!
  8. emeraldisle

I haven't a clue about this guy. Hopefully, someone else will get it.
  9. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

There is the old fable of Aesop about the ant and the grasshopper. The ant labored all summer to storehouse enough supplies for the winter, while the grasshopper idled away, believing he could get what he needed at his leisure. Boy, did that 'hopper get whammied by reality. Though I can''t put my finger on a specific cartoon, this sounds mightily like one that Van Beuren Studios would produce, back when they were still solvent.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. saltyboot

I'm going to give this one to you because you're right about the fable. It is indeed the ant and the grasshopper. Specifically the Ant. In the Disney version, the ant shows him mercy. However, in the Starevich version (1911), the ant lets the grasshopper starve to death!
  11. oneuglybunny

Aw, you shouldn't've done that, Salty. Because now I'm going to loose this character:

1) This character started out in the comics, and got adapted into an animated feature. And then into another animated feature. Total: 2.

2) This character survives to the end of the first feature, though not by much. An explosion leaves him hospitalized but alive.

3) This character dies during the second feature film. However, it's not permanent: this character has a good reason to not stay dead.
  12. oneuglybunny

Intermediate clues time.

4) Neither feature film has Disney-class animation. Not even close. Nevertheless, this character's debut film achieved a milestone for animation in cinema. "I'm number one!"

5) Back to the comics side: this character's creator disliked what Hollywood did with him, resulting in this character's comics self being killed ... with an ice pick through his skull!

6) Fair Play Rule: this character is not human. He lives in cities, goes to parties, mixes with friends, meddles in politics ... all kinds of human stuff. He's a surrogate human with fur and a tail.
  13. emeraldisle

I just can't find the right character. Maybe someone else has seen these films.
  14. oneuglybunny

Cupcake clues time, don't be shy.

7) This character is an anthropomorphic cat: upright stance, no shoes, feline head and a tail.

8) Fur pattern is ragged stripes, much like Garfield by Jim Davis, only much taller and no belly paunch.

9) His most distinguishing feature? His "kitten-maker." Barbie Doll Anatomy gets averted, and how!
  15. emeraldisle

If I know my cartoon kitties as well as I do, this one is Fritz The Cat.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. oneuglybunny

Yes, this is Fritz the Cat, originally created by Robert Crumb. Fritz The Cat was produced in 1972, and was directed by Ralph Bakshi; The Nine Lives of Fritz The Cat was produced in 1974 and was directed by Robert Taylor. Having nine lives means getting killed isn't all that permanent. Fritz The Cat, at the time of its release, was the first animated feature film given the austere X rating by the MPDAA. Robert Crumb reviled how his cat was scripted, and chose to have a jealous ostrich-girl drive an ice pick into Fritz's head, killing him. :dead:

There aren't that many untapped cartoons left for this game; pardon me for choosing the most un-virgin-y virgin animation. Fritz is still worth a +1 no matter what. :)
  17. emeraldisle

You're forgiven, OUB. Now for one that's been totally ignored:

1. I'm bigger than the title hero, and eventually fight him in the boxing ring.

2. I steal cows so that my subjects can have milk.

3. I also kidnap someone to milk those cows.
  18. oneuglybunny

I know exactly who this is, but I'll shut up and let someone nice answer. :D
  19. emeraldisle

These clues should make it easier:

4. I live on another planet.

5. My adversary defeats me by moving too fast for me to hit him.

6. When banished, I vow revenge. However, the series was cancelled, so my story arc never had a sequel.
  20. oneuglybunny

No takers on this one? Gee, can't let this guy go to waste.

This is Overcat, supreme ruler of planet Feline. He came to Earth when all the milk wells on his world ran dry, and began absconding Earth's cows. Overcat was thwarted by his antithesis, Underdog.
    • Agree Agree x 1