1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

The Mystery Cartoon Character Game, now with 20% more ongoing.

Discussion in 'Free-For-All' started by oneuglybunny, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Glowworm

Glowworm Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Yeah, I know this one for certain too now, I won't answer unless I need to.
  2. saltyboot

saltyboot A Moderating Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Would this be Randall, from "Monsters Inc." and "Monsters U?"
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Verily it would be, SaltyBoot, verily it be. Randall Boggs, specifically, whose arch-nemesis is James P Sullivan. He's the active villain in Monsters, Inc. as opposed to the mastermind, Henry Waternoose. Randall is ultimately sundered by Boo, the little girl he'd routinely frighten to obtain her screams of fear.

I'll award you a new +1, SB, and let you take control of the board. :)
  4. saltyboot

Ok then, I finally got a character together.

My friend and I found a time capsule in a cave.
    I was searching for plutonium rockconium, and he was looking for worms.
    We take it to a professor who said it's a message that was sent to another planet.
  5. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Can't say I've heard of this one.
  6. saltyboot

Here's three more.

The three of us went to that planet with a robot.
    My stopmotion short was shot in stereoscopic 3D.
    My name is right in the title.
  7. oneuglybunny

Hmm, stop-motion made me think of Art Clokey, but both Davey Hanson and Gumby are already on the UCL. Nick Park's A Grand Day Out? No, there was no professor in that one, and Wallace was seeking moon-cheese, not "plutonium rockconium," whatever that is. Of course, since it has plutonium in it, it must be fiercely radioactive; that character had better bring a lead shield to handle the stuff, or even just photograph it.
  8. saltyboot

All right then, last three clues a go.

Though this short was produced in 1953, it was not released until 1960.
    My director had animated on George Pal’s Puppetoons.
    To expand on clue 5; stereoscopic was also used on the opening title sequence for I Love Lucy.
  9. emeraldisle

Sorry, Salty. I checked all the stop motion shorts of the 50's and 60's, and couldn't find it.
  10. oneuglybunny

Well, this is a surprise. All this time, I thought George Pal was an auteur, and directed / posed / filmed all his projects himself.
  11. saltyboot

Here is a bonus clue. Hopefully this will do it.

My voice actor also did the voice of Boris, from The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show. (It should be noted that the short in question is mentioned on the BMDb for 1955, which is wrong. And it's not mentioned at all on Wiki.)
  12. emeraldisle

Obviously, the voice actor in question is Paul Frees, but I still can't find it.
  13. saltyboot

Yes, it is Paul Frees. In the BMDb, this "Adventure" is on 1955. I'm too tired to post the answer and clues. I'll post it tomorrow if no one gets it by lunch time.
  14. saltyboot

Wow, I have my first un-guessed character. I don't know if I should give myself a cookie or a bowl of broccoli.

Anyway, the answer is Sam, from The Adventures of Sam Space.

He and his friend found a time capsule and take it to a professor. They all end up going to another planet.
    The short is in stereoscopic 3D, as well as the intro to I Love Lucy.
    The director was Paul G. Sprunck, who was the creative artist on The Puppetoon Movie.
    Paul Frees did the voices.

Ok, the turn is to anyone who wants it.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. emeraldisle

Well, I never heard of that one until now. So I'll take the turn, and see if you know this one:

1. I fly alongside the title hero.

2. My name is totally unrelated to both a British spy show, and a team of Marvel superheroes.

3. Given the color of my plumage, I'd have made a good pet for Prince.
  16. oneuglybunny

Well, out of 231 characters fielded by SaltyBoot as a Mystery Character, this is the first time that one has gone unguessed. The first one can be regarded as a Badge of Honor, in that you've stumped a panel of "experts." After that, though, the unguessed ones lose their luster. Nevertheless, welcome to the Unidentified Mystery Character Club, SB. [toast]:woot:[dance][banana]

Okay, that "purple" clue almost threw me off. I'd watched Hanna-Barbera's Birdman and Avenger on a monochrome set, so I always believed that Avenger was grey. But, no, Avenger is purple (gotta burn up those odd colors somewhere). I forget though: is Avenger a falcon or a hawk? I can never keep those two straight.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. emeraldisle

Actually, Avenger's an eagle. But at any rate, you got it right, OUB. So take your well-deserved turn. Good job. :)
  18. oneuglybunny

Neat-o. Oh, and here's a spot on the List that's little-traveled. I shall remedy that.

1) This character has appeared regularly in an animated television series no longer in production.

2) While his two close associates are human, this character himself is not.

3) Functionally, this character is a close parallel to Ben Grimm of the Fantastic Four: the big, tough guy who does lots of clobberin'.
  19. emeraldisle

I quite possibly have the answer now, but I won't post it unless no one gets it by tomorrow afternoon.
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  20. emeraldisle

Ok, seeing as how no one answered, I'll post it. It can only be Igoo, the rock ape from "The Herculoids." Except that he had three human associates.