1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

The Mystery Cartoon Character Game, now with 20% more ongoing.

Discussion in 'Free-For-All' started by oneuglybunny, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Glowworm

Glowworm Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Yep, good thing Frank became a doodle when he died. :happy:
    Here's one that constantly invaded my childhood on television.
    1. My owner arranges one of his employees to take care of me.
    2. There is one thing though: I consider myself to be people.
    3. At one point after getting ticked off one too many times, I talk to my owner on the telephone. It isn't English, but he understands me.
  2. Glowworm

Some more clues.
    4. The short I appear in is one of two in which someone else has taken over voicing a hunter with a lisp.
    5. As I'd like to be treated as a person, not an animal, the employee ends up sleeping in the dog bed and having dog food for dinner.
    6. A promotion is given to the employee for taking care of me, he goes up in the world--but I get to be the vice president of the company.
  3. saltyboot

saltyboot A Moderating Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

This is Rupert, the bosses dog that Elmer has to watch. From Dog Gone People.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Glowworm

Yes, this is Rupert from Dog Gone People. Nickelodeon used to play this one a lot as a kid.
  5. saltyboot

I'm a dog who really hates cats.
    I beat up on a kitten who was rescued from the cold.
    When I went to heaven, I got arrested when grabbing some stakes.
  6. saltyboot

I'll go ahead and put up the next set of clues.

After I got arrested, I was sent to a Saint to be judged.
    Then I was sent to Hell for being cruel to the kitten.
    The director was also known as Izzy.
  7. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Aha, had to go digging through the 600 set of Public Domain cartoons, but I found it: A Mutt In A Rut, featuring Dog Face, directed by I. Sparber. I think this is by the same outfit that gave us the Little Audrey series.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. saltyboot

That's exactly it OUB! And good job sifting through those cartoons. [thumbup]
  9. oneuglybunny

Thanks. But what is up with that woman of the house and her hokey Oirish accent? Nobody from that North Atlantic land mass speaks like that, not even when plastered.

Anyway, let's see if I can dig up a worthwhile character. Aha, here's one:

1) This character occurs only once to date in a completely animated feature film. No live people in this one, not even converted ones.

2) This character started out as a scientist, and has become a Mad Scientist. He's versed in quite a few disciplines, including molecular biology, nuclear physics, rocket propulsion and transmutation.

3) Apparently, these were merely minor studies for him: he attained his PhD in dance. This proves to be stupendously handy for his mission.
  10. oneuglybunny

Intermediate clues time.

4) Once upon a time, this character was human. Not any more. In seeking to become indestructible, this character succeeded. He failed to account for side effects, though.

5) TV Tropes would call him The Smart Guy in a Five Man Band. Yes, this character has four cohorts that accompany him on critical missions.

6) This fellow is also the shortest of the group. This means he can get into narrow spaces with ease.
  11. Glowworm

This is Dr. Cockroach from Monsters Vs. Aliens.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. oneuglybunny

Yes, this is the Mad Scientist Doctor Cockroach from Dreamworks Animation's Monsters Versus Aliens. He tried to exploit the seeming invulnerable nature of cockroaches by fusing himself with one, a la The Fly. He does indeed come away pretty much indestructible, but also diminutive and buggy. Good point, GW, take the board.
  13. Glowworm

Yeah, the bit about the dancing jogged my memory.
    1. I'm a washed up former child actor.
    2. No, time has not been kind to me.
    3. Then again, since when is a show about a kid villain a good idea to begin with?
  14. Glowworm

4. My robot doesn't quite understand what heist music is.
    5. Everything about me screams the 80s--the hair, the shoulder pads, the bubblegum and rubix cubes.
    6. Also, I use a keytar as a weapon.
  15. oneuglybunny

Oh, the latest overdone villain in the Despicable Me franchise: Balthazar Bratt, from DM3 by Illumination Entertainment.
  16. Glowworm

Yep, this is the washed up--former child star Balthazar Bratt from Despicable Me 3.
  17. oneuglybunny

Nifty. :) Though I can't field a washed-up character, except possibly in the furthest sense of the term.

1) This character is in the Public Domain due to his longevity. He is immortal, after all.

2a) Among the many works that tapped this character, Walt Disney Pictures had a go at animating him. That'll be the source I'm using in this case.

2b) This character might be mistaken for Santa Claus, except he wears summer garb rather than winter wear, and his waistline has much less circumference than his torso.

3) Despite being large and powerful and even deathless, this character's son gets title billing. Perhaps Junior tends to throw tantrums?
  18. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Well, if I'm not mistaken, it' s Zeus, from "Hercules."
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. oneuglybunny

Oh, you're not mistaken, Em, not even ever-so-slightly. This is indeed mighty Zeus, father to Hercules, from the Disney animated feature Hercules. Good identifying, you're up. :)
  20. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Thanks, OUB. Time again for another untapped, overlooked one:

1. I only lasted for three cartoons.

2. I've been a piano man, a hillbilly, and a court jester.

3. When my creator left, I left with him, and wasn't seen again until the '90's.