1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

The Mystery Cartoon Character Game, now with 20% more ongoing.

Discussion in 'Free-For-All' started by oneuglybunny, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Glowworm

Glowworm Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Correct. Hoss Delgado is a mixture of Snake Plissken--which explains the long red hair, outfit and eye-patch and Ash Ketchum--because of the chainsaw hand. In the possible spinoff pilot Underfist, he was given a machine gun leg as well. Also, at one point he was dating Eris, the goddess of discord and chaos.

Also, Hoss was a cartoon crush of mine--think it was the long hair and eye-patch combo. Ironically enough, he may have been my most "normal" of my cartoon crushes.;)
    Also, I didn't know TV Tropes even had that category!
  2. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

^ Yeah, when Fast Eddie started out, TV Tropes were some recognizable patterns in the plots of television shows. However, it didn't take long to blossom into the juggernaut of theatric and literary devices it has become.

So, we're doing eye-patches now, eh? Goodie.

1) This character made her debut in a regularly televised animated series that was exported to the United States. She would recur in two subsequent direct-to-video productions.

2) "She?" A girl with an eye-patch? Yes, she has one, a pink inverted strawberry one over her right eye (viewers' left).

3) She's likely not a bad driver per se, it's just that a manual transmission can be difficult. Thus, just once, she has the silly thing in reverse.
  3. oneuglybunny

Yow, forgot about this. Okay, back on tracks now.

4) This character is human. No claws, fangs, fur, or wings on her, nope.

5) It's an anime series that being taped, one that debuted in 2012. So, this character is one of the cute little squeakies that join the fun relatively late.

6) Normally, boys do the contact sports such as rugby and hockey, while girls do the skill sports like gymnastics and volleyball. This girl participates in a "sport" that would usually be considered boys' territory. But surprise! it's an all-girls team competing against other pure girl teams.
  4. oneuglybunny

And it's time for the cupcake clues.

7) This character and her teammates live aboard a converted aircraft carrier, where the flight deck has been converted to a small town.

8) Team Anteater, specifically.

9) Violent as her sport is, it did not cause her to lose an eye. She joined the team with her strawberry eyepatch already installed.
  5. oneuglybunny

Oh, dear, another dud. This would have been Momoga of Team Anteater from Girls Und Panzer, an odd series about high school girls that work as tank crews, battling teams from rival schools over hill, over dale and even through town. (Funny how there's no traffic at those times.) She's the driver of the Chi-Nu Type 3, and has a strawberry-shaped eyepatch.
    upload_2017-10-14_22-12-1.png
    Guess I'll have to scrounge up a better eyepatch character.
  6. Glowworm

Glowworm Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

To be honest, I have never heard of this anime.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. oneuglybunny

I have this one from Amazon. The premise is preposterous, certainly, but the camaraderie among the girls is charming, and their enthusiasm is infectious. Miho Nishizumi used to be a junior officer for powerhouse school Kururomine, until she chose to rescue her comrades rather than defend her flag tank. It cost her team the championship match, for which Miho was ostracized. Miho transferred to rinky-dink Oarai to get away from the win-at-any-cost mindset of tankery. Though she's roped back into the game, it's girls doing it for the fun and enjoyment and teamwork that re-ignite Miho's passion. It also serves as a reminder that sports were meant to be fun, first and foremost; when it's reduced to performance metrics and capital draw, it's not really a sport any more, is it?
  8. oneuglybunny

Ah, here's one that got overlooked, surprisingly.

1) This character appears once in an animated feature film, then in a follow-up short cartoon.

2) It's a mere cameo appearance in the short cartoon, while this character gets title billing and most of the screen time in the feature film.

3) This character has a very limited vocabulary, and rarely says anything. Nevertheless, this character has an almost contagious impact of goodwill on the other characters.
  9. oneuglybunny

Intermediate clues time.

4) This character isn't really date material, though he has a steady job. Of course, being a hopeless romantic, he tries so very hard to meet a pretty young thing.

5) While this character is definitely not a Bad Guy, he still rules the world. Rather than lording it over everyone, though, this character is content to build scale models ... of Manhattan Island.

6) Not human, let's clear that point up right now. Neither is the girl of his dreams, for that matter. So what? It's still romantic.
  10. oneuglybunny

Oh bother, time for the cupcake clues.

7) It's easy to rule the world when there's nobody left, just this character and lots of junk.

8) Technically, that's not his name; it's his designation. It describes what he does all day long.

9) A Pixar Animation production. Whoops, make that a Buy n Large production.
  11. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Could this fellow possibly be WALL-E?
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. oneuglybunny

It could be, all right. So much so that this is indeed Pixar's WALL-E, the little Waste Allocation Load Lifter, Earth-class. He's the garbage 'bot, the only functioning one left on Earth. Somehow, we tapped his fellow characters, but not the quixotic boxy junkmobile. Good on you, Em, for not letting Wall-E go to waste. :)
  13. emeraldisle

Thanks, OUB. Now for one who's never been posted in this game:

1. My friends and I go after an evil inanimate object.

2. Like many other animated movies, my story is based on a book.

3. My movie was the first animated Disney movie to be rated PG, due to scary supernatural themes, and even some onscreen deaths.
  14. oneuglybunny

This surely must be The Black Cauldron, the first feature animation after Walt's death. I think the young hero's name is Tarren. It didn't do so well at the box office, ushering in Disney's Dork Age.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. emeraldisle

Good job, OUB. :). You got it right, except that the boy's name is spelled Taran.
  16. oneuglybunny

Sweet. :) And looky here: there's a hole in the Character List where a heroic character should be. It's fixing time!

1) This character first appeared in a regularly televised cartoon series, being a 100% Good Guy. He'd later get a spin-off series, but with much less heroics.

2) Just like the scheming villains he fights, this character has a secret lair. Who knows, he could have defeated its previous owner and decided he'd keep it for himself. Those places aren't often on the tax rolls, y'know.

3) TV Tropes calls it Space Is Noisy, despite having no air in it to conduct sound. Nevertheless, this character is able to bellow his name every episode through the hard vacuum. Because he's just that awesome.
  17. emeraldisle

Well, just to prevent him from slipping into unguessed territory, I'll lay my money on the table, and say it's Space Ghost.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. oneuglybunny

Then collect your winnings, Em, because this is indeed Space Ghost, by Hanna-Barbera Studios. His spin-off series, of course, is Williams Street Productions' Space Ghost Coast To Coast.
  19. emeraldisle

Thanks, OUB. Now for some real untapped territory:

1. I made my animated debut just last night.

2. In this new special, I'm the bellhop at a hotel, which is odd, given my species.

3. In real life, I was once owned by the late thriller who lent his name to the title of the special.
  20. emeraldisle

Last three clues:

4. My original residence was a ranch named after Peter Pan's home.

5. Today, I live with my own kind.

6. I share my name with several female cartoon characters, including one of the Powerpuff Girls.