1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

The Mystery Cartoon Character Game, now with 20% more ongoing.

Discussion in 'Free-For-All' started by oneuglybunny, Mar 31, 2016.

1. saltyboot

saltyboot A Moderating Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Yes! Whew.... I was worried that he might go unguessed.

Time to take it away!
  2. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Thanks, Salty. Now to go into untapped territory once again:

1. I'm the heroine of a Dickens Christmas story, but no, this time, it isn't "A Christmas Carol."

2. Convinced that my boyfriend's never coming home, I suffer from hysterical blindness.

3. My voice actress is the daughter of another veteran actor from the same special.
  3. emeraldisle

Last three clues:

4. I almost marry the bad guy.

5. I discover that my true love isn't dead, and get my sight back.

6. The title character is an insect.
  4. emeraldisle

Well, might as well reveal the answer. It's Bertha Plummer, from "The Cricket On The Hearth." Unlike other Rankin-Bass specials, this one is quite obscure. So someone else should post the next mystery character.
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Glowworm

Glowworm Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

I had a vague idea of who it was--but kept mixing up "The Cricket on the Hearth" with "The Cricket in Times Square." I didn't know the character's name or what the animated special was, truthfully.
  6. emeraldisle

No takers, huh? Well, here's one that's completely untapped:

1. I'm conspicuously absent from the first movie.

2. My job is to decorate the castle.

3. I'm turned into an ornament that literally matches my name.
  7. Glowworm

That would be Angel from Beauty and the Beast's Enchanted Christmas.
    So, since this was a midquel to the classic movie, do you think when the spell was finally broken, Forte's rotting corpse was somewhere on the castles grounds? ;)
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. emeraldisle

Actually, her name's Angelique, but you still got it. Good job. :). And Forte might have been rotting away. Who knows with Disney? Anyway, you're up again.
  9. Glowworm

Yeah, my bad on the full name--didn't bother to look it up--didn't want it to go unguessed. Never saw this sequel--and quite frankly--I don't want to. No one should use an evil pipe organ instead of Gaston. (No offense, Tim Curry.)
    You know me, I really don't do Christmas characters.
    1. I see a creature protect a youngster from a fierce looking snake.
    2. I have lots of friends--they all have names and protect me from different things.
    3. I want this creature too for protection--but the youngster is able to give him a proper name before I can.
  10. Glowworm

More clues.
    4. I'm basically a one scene wonder. I'm in the move briefly, but I'm quite memorable.
    5. Neither the youngster nor I are human--but the creature is.
    6. I blend in with the forest quite well.
  11. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Could this be Darzee the tailor bird from Rikki Tikki Tavi, adapted from Kipling's The Jungle Book by Chuck Jones for Sib-Tower 12? The youngster is the son of a British couple who've set up hearth and home in India (at the time of the book, the subcontinent was a British Colonial Territory). The boy is rescued from a hooded cobra named Nag by a mongoose that he has named Rikki. Darzee's memorable scene (one of them, anyway) involves singing in celebration that Nag the cobra has been slain, twittering the news to the whole province. Rikki the mongoose wants this silly bird to keep silent, as cobras nest in pairs, so Nag's mate will seek wicked revenge on Rikki.
  12. Glowworm

Nope--this isn't Darzee the Tailor bird.
  13. Glowworm

Last clues
    7. I have an actual name--but much like say Grimhilde AKA the evil queen, I'm generally known by a description/occupation.
    8. The movie I was in was supposed to come out in 2014--but instead came out in 2015 along with another more well received movie earlier during that year from the same studio.
    9. You know that old saying "Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth?" In this movie, we never died out and are still roaming the earth.
  14. emeraldisle

Got it. It's the Styracasaurus, from "The Good Dinosaur."
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Glowworm

Correct--this is Forrest Woodbush--AKA the Pet Collector from "The Good Dinosaur."
  16. emeraldisle

Thanks, Glowworm. Time for one not yet on the list:

1. I'm one of three title characters of a little Christmas ditty.

2. My cartoon airs annually in Chicago, but those who don't live there can see it on YouTube.

3. I have the same name as the newest Pixar movie.
  17. emeraldisle

Three more clues:

4. My buddies and I travel with Santa on Christmas Eve.

5. Unlike the other two, I don't have a deep voice.

6. Our cartoon is often shown back to back with one about a female snowflake.
  18. emeraldisle

Looks like we got another stumper. It's Coco, from the very short cartoon "Hardrock, Coco, and Joe-The Three Little Dwarves."

So either I can post an easier one, or someone else can take a turn.
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. Glowworm

Yeah, that's not a cartoon I'm at all familiar with.
  20. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Same here; that one is completely off my radar. Well, this fellow should be on radar, despite his age.

1) This character appears in a series of theatrical cartoons, though the studio that produced him no longer exists.

2) Is this fellow a person of color? No idea. He can't be American because of his title. And his cartoons are monochrome, so his ethnicity is a mystery.

3) This character doesn't say much, usually an "oh!" or an "aah" once in a while. He certainly appreciates good entertainment, so props for that.