1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

The Mystery Cartoon Character Game, now with 20% more ongoing.

Discussion in 'Free-For-All' started by oneuglybunny, Mar 31, 2016.

1. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Golly, it sure seems like the second hypothesis is the case. Anyways, this is Mufasa, father to Simba, regent of the Pridelands, from Disney's The Lion King.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Yes, OUB, Mufasa it is. Good job. :). Step up, and take another turn.
  3. oneuglybunny

Okay, to make sure this one doesn't go unguessed, I'm raiding the Hanna-Barbera garden again.

1) This character is a recurring antagonist in a regularly televised animated series produced by Hanna-Barbera Studios. They're not producing him any more, though.

2) Altogether, there are four mostly harmless villainous characters, which includes this character. He'd be the least malicious of the four, a Minion With An F In Evil.

3) Perhaps this character is a Junior League antagonist, being groomed to be a full-on baddie. Right now, he's like Ahsoka Tano to Anakin Skywalker, or like Wendy and Marvin to the Super Friends. He'll need to put on some more weight, and develop more guile, though.
  4. emeraldisle

Let's see. None of Hanna-Barbera's superhero cartoons had harmless villains. Ok, maybe season 1 of Superfriends did, but none of them were a foursome. I can also rule out OGRE from "Drak Pack," since that consisted of five instead of four. I'm at a total loss.
  5. oneuglybunny

Well, your thinking is on the right track, it's just a question of determining which platform is your stop. Perhaps these clues will help:

4) Nobody in this cartoon series is human. We don't exist there. Technically, none of these characters should be alive, but they are. Magic? Super science? Pure funness?

5) The Smurfette Principle is alive and well here: there's only one "girl," and most of the boys want her, both the good ones and the bad ones. She seems to have chosen a favorite.

6) This pee-wee character's name would be fitting for a breakfast diner, or a military airbase during wartime.
  6. emeraldisle

Aha! Should have thought of this earlier! It's Scrambles, from "Wheelie And The Chopper Bunch!"
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. oneuglybunny

Exactly the right stop, Em. This is the scooter Scrambles, one of four members of the Chopper Bunch that routinely oppose Wheelie the red Volkswagen. The sole "female" is Rota Ree (a play on rotary, another name for the Wankel pistonless engine). All vehicles, no people. Good deducing, take the board. :)
  8. emeraldisle

Thanks, OUB. Time for one who, for reasons unknown, has gone totally untapped:

1. I've been animated on more than one occasion.

2. I like to isolate myself from my wife.

3. To paraphrase a classic Steely Dan song, they think I'm crazy, but I'm just growing old.
  9. emeraldisle

Three more clues, and please come back, players:

4. My hometown's in the Catskills.

5. An early cartoon had me mistaking a famous spinach eater for a pickpocket.

6. In the early 1970's, my story was paired with another one by the same author.
  10. oneuglybunny

Oh, now I get it. For a while there, my thinking ran to Professor Calvin Calculus and that unholy nagging wife of his. But now, I can see this is Washington Irving's character Rip Van Winkle. Rip also wanted a break from a nagging wife, and took a hike deep into the Catskills. There, he encountered gnomes or leprechauns or somesuch. Rip also imbibed some of their ale, which made him groggy, whereupon he dozed off under a stout oak tree. Upon waking, Rip returned home only to discover that twenty years had elapsed, the nag had died of an aneurysm, and nothing was how he'd remembered it. This story is often paired with The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by the same author.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Glowworm

Glowworm Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Truth be told, those people playing ninepins were NEVER described as being diminutive or fairy-like--I'm not quite sure when an illustrator for that story decided "Hey, these guys were gnomes." at one point leading to others jumping on the bandwagon but I guess it's the same as Humpty Dumpty suddenly being an egg.
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. emeraldisle

Well, at any rate, OUB nailed it again. Good job. :). Post away.
  13. oneuglybunny

^^ It may have had something to do with trolls being "sons of the mountain," in that they could change into stone either at will or during daybreak. Regular people living in those hills would be a mightily isolated lot, likely xenophobic and surely inbred to some degree. It seemed more plausible to make them magical-gnome folk to account for the coma-inducing brew, and why no other adventurers ever encountered them. Kind of like a unicorn sighting: just once, never to be repeated.

Now then, it's my turn to be topical. [sinister laugh]

1) This character made his debut in a completely animated feature film, then in the television series based upon that film.

2) Despite his important role in the events of the story, this character does not get title billing. All that work for no recognition.

3) This character gets sent to prison for his misdeeds. He doesn't stay there all that long, however. He's too plot-critical to be sidelined so neatly.
  14. oneuglybunny

Overdue for Intermediate clues. Almost forgot who this was. Senility, y'know.

4) Far be it for me to call this character a liar, but he does have a talent for adjusting the "truth" on the fly. He's one of those fellows who can think on his feet.

5) "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again." Such must be this fellow's personal credo, since he has tried more than six hundred times at one endeavor.

6) Aside from a pair of sunglasses, this character does not wear corrective lenses. Nonetheless, he'd still be called four-eyes.
  15. oneuglybunny

Cupcake clues time.

7) Debuted by Walt Disney Pictures.

8) A mad scientist, though more ornery than angry.

9) He has produced six hundred twenty-seven units.
  16. Glowworm

Of course, this is Jumba from Lilo and Stitch.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. oneuglybunny

Yes, Doctor Jumba Jookiba, as voiced by the late David Ogden Stiers. From both the feature film Lilo & Stitch and the subsequent animated series. Bravo, Glow. :)
  18. Glowworm

How I didn't catch that earlier, I don't know.
    Speaking of missed--here's one we didn't catch yet.
    1. I'm basically the foil for the main character.
    2. I'm not really a villain though, I just want the main character to follow the park rules.
    3. Most of the time, he breaks them and I have to go after him.
  19. emeraldisle

That's easy. Ranger John Smith, from "Yogi Bear."
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Glowworm

Indeed--didn't know he had a first name though.
    Yeah, when you get older, you suddenly realize the Ranger wasn't such a bad guy. He just wanted to keep the park neat and orderly. Meanwhile this one rogue bear keeps insisting on stealing the visiters' pic-anic baskets...